What is the one thing you did that improved your pool game a lot?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am talking about something that you found out about and tried it yourself and it worked real good! It does not matter what it was as long as it worked for your game improvement. Kicks, Banks, stance, aim, stroke, shooting slower, playing safeties, English, bridge position, more time on the table, and anything else that helped! Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock n Load.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I am talking about something that you found out about and tried it yourself and it worked real good! It does not matter what it was as long as it worked for your game improvement. Kicks, Banks, stance, aim, stroke, shooting slower, playing safeties, English, bridge position, more time on the table, and anything else that helped! Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock n Load.

When I gained an understanding of what side of the line to be on in trying to obtain position, it changed everything for me.

Great question by the way. Hopefully this will lead to some great responses.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take your time, make up your mind and address the cueball with authority. I think a lot of amateurs (at least, me) rush their decision process and their execution process. I'm not advocating playing slow. In fact, I think maintaining a decent pace is important. I just feel that it's important to separate the thought-process and the execution-process. Lately, I've been able to attribute a significant portion of my mistakes to simply walking up to the table and getting down on the shot before I've comfortably made-up my mind on what I want to do.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) getting a home table
2) reading everything I can on the internet
3) learning to get up and re-set if I dont feel good about the shot
4) learning position, and keeping the CB toward the center of the table and off the rails

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Improved My Game

I once read (I think in Robert Byrne's Book of Billiards, or something like that) that "a short drive is better than a long drive." I took that to mean minimize your cue ball movement. With that in mind I began work on the basic stop shot. I was one of those players that tried to put some kind of english on just about every shot and the result was that trying to play "perfect shape" often left me way out of line or hooked. What I began to realize is that "pretty good shape" is almost always just as good as "perfect shape" and to minimize cue ball movement eliminates many stupid mistakes, at least for me anyway. There are still times one has to "let it fly" (so to speak) but to work and improve the basic stop shot has done wonders for my game. Along with that quote from Robert Byrne, I carry into every match a couple of other bits of wisdom I've picked up along the way, first "Danielsan, it not matter who stronger, it matter who smarter" - Mr. Myagi, the Karate Kid II, and an old line from Minnesota Fats - "If you make all of your easy shots, you won't have any hard ones left"

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I cannot name the "one thing" that improved my pool game a lot because it has been several things that I worked on.

I can honestly say that Stan Shuffett has had the greatest impact on my game.

If I was forced at gunpoint to name that one thing, it would be an improvement in my precision in all aspects of the pre-shot routine including the final execution of the shot.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Take your time, make up your mind and address the cueball with authority. I think a lot of amateurs (at least, me) rush their decision process and their execution process. I'm not advocating playing slow. In fact, I think maintaining a decent pace is important. I just feel that it's important to separate the thought-process and the execution-process. Lately, I've been able to attribute a significant portion of my mistakes to simply walking up to the table and getting down on the shot before I've comfortably made-up my mind on what I want to do.

:thumbup:
Great words Jude!
Personally i increased when i started to practice solo almost every day and begun to play straight-pool like there is no other game ^^
The "Big Bang" happened immediatley after i received my copy of *99 Critical Shots in Pool* by Ray Martin. Saw so many new things, and couldn t stop playing :)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I think I know where you are going in this thread, Lock and it is a good path. I hope that many people are helped by your thread.

Perhaps others will be able to spot the "one thing" that can help "their game".

I like the perspectives that others share because it may open up another window of improvement for all of us to partake.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
One thing? The internet. But really, that covers many things. Stance, stroke, all of it is out there...as Hillbilly says: "It doesn't cost anything to pay attention".

janaka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it was table time; with smarter players.

I'm 'new' still and I'd consistently get beat with safeties. So I learned safeties. Made me smarter and therefore better.

My game has since taken a turn for the better with having a table at home as I play more even though I'm not in league anymore. Tougher table at home makes it easier when I do hit a pool hall.

I also agree with the statement above of trying to move the cueball less. I have better position usually and therefore more control.

JC

Coos Cues
I finally went to the optometrist

And obtained corrective lenses after a decade of denial.

Suddenly I have the knowlege of today and the eyesight of 30 years ago.

I also made the decision to obtain professional instruction. Wonder if it's that or the contact lens'?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I know where you are going in this thread, Lock and it is a good path. I hope that many people are helped by your thread.

Perhaps others will be able to spot the "one thing" that can help "their game".

I like the perspectives that others share because it may open up another window of improvement for all of us to partake.

Hello JoeyA,
First of all I appreciate your post in my thread. Now to move on to your point of sharing things that helps a player better his/her game. I love to see people improve their game, and I am always willing to help them. That is why I have so many students. If this thread helps one person then it has done a job that I intended it to do! Thanks again JoeyA.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Many Regards,
Lock n Load.

One thing that help me was changing my hand position for different types of shots.

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My expertise gradually increased over the years with much practice, reading, and coaching. I can honestly say, after reaching different levels, I've attributed continuing success to being extremely open minded and considering every piece of advice objectively. I've most recently made strides in accessing the subconscious state of mind while shooting. I feel like new discoveries about pool keeps my interest piqued. This is a refreshing thread !

Last edited:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once read (I think in Robert Byrne's Book of Billiards, or something like that) that "a short drive is better than a long drive." I took that to mean minimize your cue ball movement. With that in mind I began work on the basic stop shot. I was one of those players that tried to put some kind of english on just about every shot and the result was that trying to play "perfect shape" often left me way out of line or hooked. What I began to realize is that "pretty good shape" is almost always just as good as "perfect shape" and to minimize cue ball movement eliminates many stupid mistakes, at least for me anyway. There are still times one has to "let it fly" (so to speak) but to work and improve the basic stop shot has done wonders for my game. Along with that quote from Robert Byrne, I carry into every match a couple of other bits of wisdom I've picked up along the way, first "Danielsan, it not matter who stronger, it matter who smarter" - Mr. Myagi, the Karate Kid II, and an old line from Minnesota Fats - "If you make all of your easy shots, you won't have any hard ones left"

I like your post! Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My expertise gradually increased over the years with much practice, reading, and coaching. I can honestly say, after reaching different levels, I've attributed continuing success to being extremely open minded and considering every piece of advice objectively. I've most recently made strides in accessing the subconscious state of mind while shooting. I feel like new discoveries about pool keeps my interest peaked. This is a refreshing thread !

Why thank you, 1ab.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I gained an understanding of what side of the line to be on in trying to obtain position, it changed everything for me.

Great question by the way. Hopefully this will lead to some great responses.

Thanks for sharing and your good comments.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.