Question for knowledgable players

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
everyone assumes the player is broke and if he is so what. people have to eat and pay rent. he may play better if he has a backer. he wouldn't be the first. i doubt if you are being set up. $2400 is alot of money to prime a dump situation. are you known as a heavy gambler or backer?. as i read your posts i believe you play things pretty close to the vest. this makes the likelihood of you being robbed slim. as far as the player thinking he's letting you in on a good thing ...wejj nothing out of bounds there either. when you back someone it's always a risky prop so bet again if you think he will win or take your winnings and do whatever ... good luckl!

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put up the full amount with a 60/40 split... If the bet keeps going up so does your percentage... When he gets greedy and covers his own end, put the other guy in the box.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
If you're going to be a backer then it isn't that unusual as long as you are involved in making the game and subsequent adjustments.
Backer's back, it's what they do.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the info

by broke .I didn't mean dead broke just short

Adam Orr stated that every day is a brand new day,I guess that answers my question

it means the new game starts over each day

I am not a stakehorse as a rule,only with the nuts or if I am close friends

like Jackpot,all my other friends died of old age

The opponent here could beat me at 9 ball,i don't play

Another guy staked the guy I staked to play me and I won 9 quick games

at one pocket,he fell apart confirming my fears that he might not
hold up and that he didn't care how many he lost if he was being staked

Staking is not my favorite thing to do

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
uhh, there's a saying,,get out while the getting is good. Go buy some Christmas presents and purchase some after shave for your player, cause something smells funny about all of this.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two questions come to mind in this situation. 1.) Do you feel like the fix is in? 2.) Do you feel like even with a spot it's a good game. If the answer to 1 is yes, then no bet,end of story, have a nice day. If the answer to 1 is no, then you have to really ask yourself about 2. If you feel that it's still a good game, and feel like you can make a score off it, I would offer to split the bet with him. That way you still have some action on the game, but you aren't taking the full weight of the bet. If there is ANY doubt in your mind about this being a fix though, don't hesitate to walk away.

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fat Randy once told Dick Lane that he was going to start holding stake horse seminars. Now that's funny if you ever knew fat Randy.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok you made 4,800 together and split that so you both have 2,400 each . Now if you think the next game is BAD then tell him no thank and he can go it alone as he has 2,400 of his own winnings now . But I hate seeing all these people posting up that he brought nothing to the first games . Could you have BEAT this other player yourself ? Would this other player even play you ? So its a partnership of you having the money and him having the talent . Now if the game changes and you dont like it then you do not have to bet on that one . i have told MANY people that do not like my split to take their own money and go play the guy . i have heard the same thing many times of " Hell I cant beat him that is why i asked you " . So its a partnership but when either one does not want to take part then its over . Hope this made some kinda of sense .

Pool has to be the only place where a business arrangement is expected to be 50/50 when one side puts up all the money and takes all the risk.

Not saying the player doesn't bring anything to the table, but he/she doesn't bring anywhere near 50% worth of profits from the arrangement.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most folks would've taken their 400 back off the top, then split the 2k.
So for an extra 200, he's gonna give you some attitude?
No way. He can go play with his own money now.
If he went through 2400 in a couple days, then steer clear of
that fella. He might be broke for a reason.
Unless you know all the angles, or you 2 are close friends,
there's no reason to put this guy in any more action.
He's pretty much already told you off in a soft way by claiming he did you a favor.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the remarks

i am over the deal now,i would like to gamble with the player
who lost the $4800 but i can not beat him and have no faith in the player i staked

these are the things that caused me to quit for a while

truth be told,i don't have the heart of a stake horse

Tobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool has to be the only place where a business arrangement is expected to be 50/50 when one side puts up all the money and takes all the risk.

Not saying the player doesn't bring anything to the table, but he/she doesn't bring anywhere near 50% worth of profits from the arrangement.

Yep that is when i tell you no problem go play him yourself with your 100% and see how it works out . Then you come back after losing some and want me to get it back LOL .... been thru most of these plays in my life already .

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hate that I missed the chance to reply while this gig was still hot. From what I read, you are the stake, "broke" is the horse. That was determined in gamble 2. If you think the weight makes a bad game, as the Stake, don't put your money up. If you think your Horse would not dump, you should quit staking. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fat Randy once told Dick Lane that he was going to start holding stake horse seminars. Now that's funny if you ever knew fat Randy.

I am currently taking applications for a backer.

Ad to the op: as long as you're winning, why not ride that horse some more? What is it you need, for him to tell you he likes your shirt? Some people are not likeable. Doesn't mean they cant take it down.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
thanks for the remarks

i am over the deal now,i would like to gamble with the player
who lost the $4800 but i can not beat him and have no faith in the player i staked

these are the things that caused me to quit for a while

truth be told,i don't have the heart of a stake horse

Dean,
If he's Russian, watch out for "collusion".
It's been in the news a lot lately...........

Will Prout