how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Now I know some of you may not tale too kindly to my antics last night but like I say...ita not often and I do choose wisely who to cut up with and who not to .

My team names reflect my character. One is named clowning around and the other is pool hall clowns.

I enjoy having fun with team mates and opponents alike but can get as serious as any one when the time comes. During playoffs etc my routine is to sit away from my team not talking to any one during the match.

That's a good thing about our league here, we can act similarly, if we feel like it. Most everyone who plays has been involved for quite some time, and we know each other pretty well. Often we'll have some light moments, during matches and after. As long as your opponent is cool with it, it makes for a fun evening. And its supposed to be fun.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of you need a shirt like the one on the far right

Danny Olson (middle) is the best player in S.Dak. when SVB is on the road.
Lou is guy with floral shirt. 2 years ago Danny didnt play with our team in this trnmnt. Lou was so sure we would go 2 and out,he only brought 1 shirt for a 3 day trnmnt! Glad he had to go shopping!

SandFox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy about league tonight end of the year starting to get burned out but finished up with 27 out of 30 points and enjoyed playing, end of the year tourney hopefully this weekend and then taking a nice full year off league to work on some things to come back stronger and calmer.

Sometimes six months just feels to long with how small our league is too. Eight teams for six months you play everyone like 4 times and that's to much.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Last time I had a BAD loss I had to wait a few days, instead of posting next day like I usually do, but it felt good to post about it, get it off my chest, and then move on.

Completely relate to the above.
So now that its Thursday, I'll tell you about Tuesday's match. I played one of the top guys in the league, and its someone I've been wondering if I'd ever get to play. I usually play their captain, we are both 5s, and the matches are always hill-hill. So Tuesday I play last against their top rated player. We have two tables at our location, and one has a lot of bad areas on the table where balls really curl when moving slow. Bar owner doesn't care because mostly college kids hang there, and they're fine with it. Sure enough, we end up on that table. We split the first two games and then I sink an early 8 trying for a breakout, and I'm down 2-1. The next game we both get a couple weird rolls and he's getting pissed. Then I end up missing the 8 on a long shot where the ball rolled out just enough to not drop. He's getting more pissed. Then he completely misses a slow roller to his ball hanging in front of the side pocket, giving me BIH, and it escalates. I sunk the 8 and tied the match but his frustration with the bad rolls is taking over. He is a good guy, friendly and upbeat, and nothing is directed at anything but the fact that the table such a POS. Once he gets to shoot, he's pocketing balls with authority, and runs out. Now he's up 3-2 and he's still fired up. He gets an 8 ball on the next break and now it's 4-2. Last rack he breaks and runs out, again pounding balls into the pockets and making some really good shots. I think his being pissed really helped him.
UGH! What bothers me most is that he adjusted better than I did, and once I started hitting firmer, I missed more and wasn't able to control the cue effectively. So if nothing else, I have identified some areas I need to work on.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Completely relate to the above.
So now that its Thursday, I'll tell you about Tuesday's match. I played one of the top guys in the league, and its someone I've been wondering if I'd ever get to play. I usually play their captain, we are both 5s, and the matches are always hill-hill. So Tuesday I play last against their top rated player. We have two tables at our location, and one has a lot of bad areas on the table where balls really curl when moving slow. Bar owner doesn't care because mostly college kids hang there, and they're fine with it. Sure enough, we end up on that table. We split the first two games and then I sink an early 8 trying for a breakout, and I'm down 2-1. The next game we both get a couple weird rolls and he's getting pissed. Then I end up missing the 8 on a long shot where the ball rolled out just enough to not drop. He's getting more pissed. Then he completely misses a slow roller to his ball hanging in front of the side pocket, giving me BIH, and it escalates. I sunk the 8 and tied the match but his frustration with the bad rolls is taking over. He is a good guy, friendly and upbeat, and nothing is directed at anything but the fact that the table such a POS. Once he gets to shoot, he's pocketing balls with authority, and runs out. Now he's up 3-2 and he's still fired up. He gets an 8 ball on the next break and now it's 4-2. Last rack he breaks and runs out, again pounding balls into the pockets and making some really good shots. I think his being pissed really helped him.
UGH! What bothers me most is that he adjusted better than I did, and once I started hitting firmer, I missed more and wasn't able to control the cue effectively. So if nothing else, I have identified some areas I need to work on.

You cannot continue to slow roll balls on a table that is notorious for rolling-off. You'll just be digging your own grave. Your opponent adjusted well.

Not aiming this quote at anyone in particular, but the saying goes: The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Maniac (seriously...not intended towards anyone)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.....

.....because after 12 weeks of a six team league, I just realized that there is not one SL7 in our division. Me, at a SL6 with a 9-2 record may be the best player in the division in other's eyes (but not mine). I looked yesterday at the record of the guy who has beaten me twice, and he is only winning 50% of his matches.

I knew after the first few weeks that we had a fairly weak division, but now I am fully convinced of it.

Another thing....three of the six teams in our division are already qualified for the LTC (my team being a new team so basically three out of five). I have some suspicions by some things I have witnessed and heard, that some of these teams are dogging balls and shooting unnecessary defensive shots (which their scorekeepers rarely mark) to run up innings and keep their skill levels down. Just this past Monday night, my wife heard her opponent ask the scorekeeper/captain of the other team after dogging several makeable shots how many innings did he have? Then, an opponent of a teammate (both SL5's) was shooting some of the weirdest/stupidest patterns I have ever seen, banking balls when several easily makeable balls were on the table. The first game between my opponent and myself ( me a 6 and him a 5), he was playing safeties with a fairly wide open table and easily makeable shots.

I mean, I guess I could be wrong, but I don't believe so. What pisses me off about this type of deceitfulness is that I come out on league nights to try and play pool the way I am capable of....and I expect no less from an opponent and his/her team.

So that said, I am, in all actuality probably not playing near as strong as my record indicates.

Maniac (still having fun though)

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....because after 12 weeks of a six team league, I just realized that there is not one SL7 in our division. Me, at a SL6 with a 9-2 record may be the best player in the division in other's eyes (but not mine). I looked yesterday at the record of the guy who has beaten me twice, and he is only winning 50% of his matches.

I knew after the first few weeks that we had a fairly weak division, but now I am fully convinced of it.

Another thing....three of the six teams in our division are already qualified for the LTC (my team being a new team so basically three out of five). I have some suspicions by some things I have witnessed and heard, that some of these teams are dogging balls and shooting unnecessary defensive shots (which their scorekeepers rarely mark) to run up innings and keep their skill levels down. Just this past Monday night, my wife heard her opponent ask the scorekeeper/captain of the other team after dogging several makeable shots how many innings did he have? Then, an opponent of a teammate (both SL5's) was shooting some of the weirdest/stupidest patterns I have ever seen, banking balls when several easily makeable balls were on the table. The first game between my opponent and myself ( me a 6 and him a 5), he was playing safeties with a fairly wide open table and easily makeable shots.

I mean, I guess I could be wrong, but I don't believe so. What pisses me off about this type of deceitfulness is that I come out on league nights to try and play pool the way I am capable of....and I expect no less from an opponent and his/her team.

So that said, I am, in all actuality probably not playing near as strong as my record indicates.

Maniac (still having fun though)

I posted about this very issue a few weeks ago and my frustrations as a captain when a certain team does this. According to my LO, the best defense against this type of play is to mark every crazy shot/safety as a defensive shot...then they don't get credit for the inning. At the end, if the 2 score cards don't match up, the LO gets involved...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted about this very issue a few weeks ago and my frustrations as a captain when a certain team does this. According to my LO, the best defense against this type of play is to mark every crazy shot/safety as a defensive shot...then they don't get credit for the inning. At the end, if the 2 score cards don't match up, the LO gets involved...

I recall your post and I also remember replying to it..

I have had issues with a few teams...thankfully its not too often but have issues with one particular team several times. The issues with this one particular team were regarding innings and safties mostly but one time is was over points marked in 9 ball.

I dont know how it is in other areas but here both scorekeepers tell each other how many innings and points they have marked after each rack and most times both have the same info marked. However there are a few teams that always seem to have an extra inning marked occasionally...especially if the rack was low innings. In order to prevent drama and keep the match going I just say ok and leave my scoresheet as marked. Most teams never check my innings marked when they sign the scoresheet . They just check to see that we both have the same total score.

There are a few captains that check everything before they sign...particularly innings and safes.

Come to.think of it no one ever mentions safes marked when comparing scoresheets after each rack. This one particular captain I mentioned I have had issues with looks over your scoresheet before signing it looking at innings and safes. One time he said there were not any safes by one particular player of his and scratched through my safes and then signed it. I wrote them down again and also notified my lo.

Another time he refused to sign my scoresheet because of the safes I had marked against his team. Another time we were in 9 ball playoffs against this same team. We had the same score after every rack until going into the last rack. He had marked down more points for his player that rack putting him ahead in points. I had my player ahead.

He kept arguing and I said well since we cant come to an agreement on the score of the last rack they will have to replay it. Man he went off like a rocket and said that was not happening. I said that's the rule if we cant come to an agreement what the actual score of that last rack played was. So he gave in and went with my score after he called the lo and found out I was right. I guess he did not want to take a chance on the outcome of a replay.

Thankfully these issues arise from only a few teams and it does not happen every time we play them.

I seemed to have got off track about maniacs issue. Yes it happens here and as you stated ...mark a defense down when its obvious they are trying to run up innings.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I recall your post and I also remember replying to it..

I have had issues with a few teams...thankfully its not too often but have issues with one particular team several times. The issues with this one particular team were regarding innings and safties mostly but one time is was over points marked in 9 ball.

I dont know how it is in other areas but here both scorekeepers tell each other how many innings and points they have marked after each rack and most times both have the same info marked. However there are a few teams that always seem to have an extra inning marked occasionally...especially if the rack was low innings. In order to prevent drama and keep the match going I just say ok and leave my scoresheet as marked. Most teams never check my innings marked when they sign the scoresheet . They just check to see that we both have the same total score.

There are a few captains that check everything before they sign...particularly innings and safes.

Come to.think of it no one ever mentions safes marked when comparing scoresheets after each rack. This one particular captain I mentioned I have had issues with looks over your scoresheet before signing it looking at innings and safes. One time he said there were not any safes by one particular player of his and scratched through my safes and then signed it. I wrote them down again and also notified my lo.

Another time he refused to sign my scoresheet because of the safes I had marked against his team. Another time we were in 9 ball playoffs against this same team. We had the same score after every rack until going into the last rack. He had marked down more points for his player that rack putting him ahead in points. I had my player ahead.

He kept arguing and I said well since we cant come to an agreement on the score of the last rack they will have to replay it. Man he went off like a rocket and said that was not happening. I said that's the rule if we cant come to an agreement what the actual score of that last rack played was. So he gave in and went with my score after he called the lo and found out I was right. I guess he did not want to take a chance on the outcome of a replay.

Thankfully these issues arise from only a few teams and it does not happen every time we play them.

I seemed to have got off track about maniacs issue. Yes it happens here and as you stated ...mark a defense down when its obvious they are trying to run up innings.

I think comparing safes could turn into a volatile situation. You may be able to agree on
what a safe actually is, but to agree that a safe was played when it wasn't an obvious
safe,, that could get a little touchy.
Defensive shots maybe shouldn't be subjective, butt hey are. I kept score for a match
at the NTC a few years ago in Las Vegas, I sat right across from the opposing scorkeeper.
She marked a safe every time we missed a shot, no kidding - every time.

Personally I try to follow this guideline when scorekeeping - If you think it was a safe
mark it down as a safe, not if they got safe, but if it was not an attempt to make a ball.
Remember, if it not an offensive shot, it's a defensive one.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot continue to slow roll balls on a table that is notorious for rolling-off. You'll just be digging your own grave. Your opponent adjusted well.

Not aiming this quote at anyone in particular, but the saying goes: The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Maniac (seriously...not intended towards anyone)

Completely agree, and I know better, but I kept telling myself that I know the rolls and can adjust for them because I play this table much more then he does.
Hopefully I only have to learn this one once.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Thursday night was another lesson in self-control, or lack thereof... we were running a little late on our matches, we asked the other team to start a second match. Their captain said sure, but the guy that was to play said he'd rather wait till the current match finished. Don't know why. While it was late by how it goes in our usual weeks, it wasn't terribly late in the evening, getting close 10, we're just used to being close to done by then.

Didn't help the current match was a 3 on their team, and a 2 on ours, and ours is a true 2...plenty of innings. So I'm watching this game, already a little put off cuz they wouldn't get the last one going...so naturally my head wasn't in the right place playing my match. He kicked my butt as a result. My fault. I need to keep a better handle on things.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thursday apa 9 ball I played an 8 . I won 38-55 but it was an ugly win. Both of us shot below our normal level ...he just happened to suck a lil worse than me that night.

At the last minute I decided to play in our masters singles cities. I arrived 10 minutes late but thankfully it was starting late.

I won my first match 7-2 vs a 6. Lost my second match 7-6 bs a 7/8. Missed the 8 by a hair ....damn !

Lost 7-5 in my 3rd match vs a 7/7. He was on fire and I made a few too many mistakes.

I thought for the heck of it to get in to the u s amateur qualifier since I am out of the cities. Maybe I will get lucky and if not maybe I cam learn a few things from my mistakes earlier.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thursday apa 9 ball I played an 8 . I won 38-55 but it was an ugly win. Both of us shot below our normal level ...he just happened to suck a lil worse than me that night.

At the last minute I decided to play in our masters singles cities. I arrived 10 minutes late but thankfully it was starting late.

I won my first match 7-2 vs a 6. Lost my second match 7-6 bs a 7/8. Missed the 8 by a hair ....damn !

Lost 7-5 in my 3rd match vs a 7/7. He was on fire and I made a few too many mistakes.

I thought for the heck of it to get in to the u s amateur qualifier since I am out of the cities. Maybe I will get lucky and if not maybe I cam learn a few things from my mistakes earlier.

Scratch that. Playing in a singles qualifier

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck, Lo!

Thanks...i didn't even know what I signed up for lol. I saw a u s amateur scoresheet laying on the counter and assumed it was that. Come to find out it was a singles qualifier lol.

Won my first match 4-0 in a 4-4 race. Won my 2nd match 4-0 in a 4-5 race. Got a feelin I aint gonna win it. This 7/9 I am watching while waiting for my next match is playing like efren...dang !

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Thanks...i didn't even know what I signed up for lol. I saw a u s amateur scoresheet laying on the counter and assumed it was that. Come to find out it was a singles qualifier lol.

Won my first match 4-0 in a 4-4 race. Won my 2nd match 4-0 in a 4-5 race. Got a feelin I aint gonna win it. This 7/9 I am watching while waiting for my next match is playing like efren...dang !

"Nobody in the world ( including Efren and/or anyone who is playing like him! ) is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

:grin::grin: :grin-square: :grin: :grin:

Just make your shots!!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Nobody in the world ( including Efren and/or anyone who is playing like him! ) is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

:grin::grin: :grin-square: :grin: :grin:

Just make your shots!!!

Very true about no one can do anything while they are watching you run out. The thi g is it was me watching that 7/9 run out most of the match. I lost 5-1 in a 5-3 race. Then I lost 4-3 in a 4-4 race. I just ran outa gas so to speak. The later it got the worse I played.

In summation I am glad I went as I was very close to not going. I am real happy with how i played in the masters Vegas qualifier. I think I came in 4th. Not bad for a 5/5 who created quite a buzz around the room with my level of play. Several people were talking about how I was playing.

When I played I. When I took the scoresheet up to the lo after blanking a 6/7 by 4-0 the lo looked at the scoresheet and just said...damn ! ..lol. I did learn a lot today and I also nee to work on my stamina if I am going to continue playing these all day tournaments.

We have a new lo starting the end of may and I spent some time talking to him today. He has big plans to run more tournaments every month. Singles....doubles...teams. In both 8 and 9 ball. I am really going to miss the current lo but looking forward to seeing if the new lo lives up to what he said today.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Very true about no one can do anything while they are watching you run out. The thi g is it was me watching that 7/9 run out most of the match. I lost 5-1 in a 5-3 race. Then I lost 4-3 in a 4-4 race. I just ran outa gas so to speak. The later it got the worse I played.

In summation I am glad I went as I was very close to not going. I am real happy with how i played in the masters Vegas qualifier. I think I came in 4th. Not bad for a 5/5 who created quite a buzz around the room with my level of play. Several people were talking about how I was playing.

When I played I. When I took the scoresheet up to the lo after blanking a 6/7 by 4-0 the lo looked at the scoresheet and just said...damn ! ..lol. I did learn a lot today and I also nee to work on my stamina if I am going to continue playing these all day tournaments.

We have a new lo starting the end of may and I spent some time talking to him today. He has big plans to run more tournaments every month. Singles....doubles...teams. In both 8 and 9 ball. I am really going to miss the current lo but looking forward to seeing if the new lo lives up to what he said today.

Congratulations on what you accomplished. Never stop shooting for the stars.

Last edited:

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ending up my first season back in 8 years and we are in first with one week to go. The lead is 13 games I think.
Team is doing well as players are getting better. we have one guy that is over rated and 2 that might be on a borderline of going up.
I have won 11-11 but really have not played that good and no where near where I used to play in league. I just need to hit some more balls as right now I am only playing on league night for my match.
Just want to figure out what our best lineup is. So far I have not figured that out.