9 ball rule question

lynng2378

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is a very basic question and I tried a search with no luck. 9 ball is not my game so I want to be sure we are doing this correctly.

Question: On a legal hit on the 2 ball the only ball pocketed was the 9 ball, which was not called in a call the 9 game. Result 9 ball spotted and player keeps his turn because a ball was pocketed on a legal hit. Is this the right ruling?

Thanks for the help.

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got it in one, but the local rules may be different.....
Always good to ask up front but sometimes the situation is a suprise, John

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball

I know this is a very basic question and I tried a search with no luck. 9 ball is not my game so I want to be sure we are doing this correctly.

Question: On a legal hit on the 2 ball the only ball pocketed was the 9 ball, which was not called in a call the 9 game. Result 9 ball spotted and player keeps his turn because a ball was pocketed on a legal hit. Is this the right ruling?

Thanks for the help.

You continue the game as long as correct ball is legally pocketed. Nine was not legally pocketed. Loss of turn and should be loss of game because you stated yourself nine must be called. You pocketed the nine in the wrong hole, much like last pocket 8 ball. 8 must go in last pocket. Don't basterdize the game! Nine ball is a wild crazy amazing game! If you don't like it don't play it. Not being mean, just real. I'm old school! Play anyway you want and have fun!!!

lynng2378

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like I got conflicting answers to this question. Would someone with more knowledge of the official rules weigh in please?

Thanks you very much.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like I got conflicting answers to this question. Would someone with more knowledge of the official rules weigh in please?

Thanks you very much.

I'm not sure there are any "official" rules for the game you describe. There may have been some tournaments where the 9 was called but I don't remember for sure. Calling the 9 ball has never been an official rule, to my knowledge.

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the help.
Interesting question. Although called-nine is not specified in BCA rules, I have seen a number of TV matches where it is specified for that tournament. I think these are the relevant sections of the latest BCA rulebook covering this:

3.5 Continuing Play
1. After the break (and push-out, if one occurs), play continues as follows:
a. the lowest numbered ball on the table must be the first object ball contacted by the cue ball or it is a foul;
b. if you legally pocket any ball your inning must continue;

1.19 Legal Shot (AR p. 75)
1. For a shot to be legal, the first ball contacted by the cue ball must be a legal object ball. After that contact:
a. any object ball must be pocketed, or;
b. any object ball or the cue ball must contact a cushion.

I believe in your example the nine-ball was pocketed legally. However, pocketing it in a non-called pocket did not satisfy the requirements of winning the game. Therefore, the nine would come back up and the player's inning would continue.

If Jay Helfert sees this thread he can probably comment on real-world examples of this scenario.

Last edited:
If the game does not have BCA rules, you should not be playing it.

I hope a BCA referee or instructor comes to your pool room and stops the game from being played.

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
It sounds like "call the 9" rules were made up to begin with, so I guess you could do whatever you want. I don't consider it a "9 ball rule question", because 9 ball ain't played that way.:p

LeagueGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the help.

This is the actual rules that TAP 9-ball has.
The 9-ball is spotted and it is your opponents shot. It gets scored as a miss and is not a ball in hand.
Now if you would have made the 2-ball, then the 9-ball gets spotted and you shoot again.

League guy

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
I Got it!!!

#1. Decide how you are going to play it in the future with your opponent.

#2. Play it that way.

#3. Any questions, refer to #1.

Have fun. :)

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Spot the 9 and the shooter continues his/her turn at the table.

In call9 you must call the pocket to win the game but it is still a legally pocketed ball.

Similarly on the break when using the rule that the 9 spots when pocketed in one of the 2 lower corner pockets,the breaker stays at the table even if the 9 was the only ball to drop.

The call the money rule is used in gambling 9 ball and to my knowledge the turn continues.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the help.

If you're playing "call shot" 9-Ball (which is not normally the case), it is simply loss of turn and the nine ball re-spots.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You continue the game as long as correct ball is legally pocketed. Nine was not legally pocketed. Loss of turn and should be loss of game because you stated yourself nine must be called. You pocketed the nine in the wrong hole, much like last pocket 8 ball. 8 must go in last pocket. Don't basterdize the game! Nine ball is a wild crazy amazing game! If you don't like it don't play it. Not being mean, just real. I'm old school! Play anyway you want and have fun!!!

I have never played any 9 ball game where it was loss of game as in 8 ball. The 9 ball can be played slop or call pocket. Some tournaments are played where a slopped in 9 ball is a win, such as the WPBA events, and others, such as the tournament of champions require that you call the 9 ball, or it is spotted when made without being called. No BIH.