The Documentary "Raising the Hustler"

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My name is Angel Levine and I am the director of the documentary
"Raising the Hustler" our documentary on professional pool and billiards.

Here's where you can show your support and help the completion of
"Raising the Hustler"!

Your purchase of an original "Raising the Hustler" T-Shirt will provide the funds necessary to complete the editing and post-production of the film!

www.booster.com/raisingthehustler

AND THERE'S NO LIMIT TO HOW MANY SHIRTS YOU CAN BUY!!

Know someone who loves pool, billiards, or snooker?
This is the gift that gives back to anyone who's ever held a cue and smiled as well as those who long to see pool's greatest players immortalized in film.

Growing up in Chicago’s most famous rooms with legends of the sport, I came to know most every professional player coming through to hone their skills. This has enabled me to film and capture ephemeral moments with champions both living and posthumous, on and off of the table.

We discuss the impact of Martin Scorsese's film "The Color of Money" which was shot in pool rooms around Chicago and it's predecessor "The Hustler". I draw comparisons between Golf and Pool and visit The FedEx Cup to interview the pro's on the course.

Professional Poker players David "Viffer" Peat, Jean-Robert Bellande, and Chris Gentile are featured as well as the greatest cueists in the world.

I started filming the aftermath following the collapse of late-night pitchman, Kevin Trudeau’s International Pool Tour and its subsequent attempts to revive interest in their professional pool tour. Professional poker players and celebrities make an appearance as well as Barry Hearn’s three Matchroom Sport pool events The Mosconi Cup The World Cup of Pool The World Pool Masters (U.S., U.K, Philippines).
I have traveled to 7 countries to showcase the beauty, the people, the players and the problems facing pool's players and the industry.

"Raising the Hustler" hopes to debut its exclusive World Premiere at The Sundance Film Festival 2014 with submission to 2 categories- U.S. Documentary Feature Film and U.S. Dramatic Competition

Here's where you can show your support and help the completion of
"Raising the Hustler"!
Your purchase of an original "Raising the Hustler" T-Shirt will provide the funds necessary to complete the editing and post-production of the film!

AND THERE'S NO LIMIT TO HOW MANY SHIRTS YOU CAN BUY!!

Know someone who loves pool, billiards, or snooker?
This is the gift that gives back to anyone who's ever held a cue and smiled as well as those who long to see pool's greatest players immortalized in film.

Post pics in your "Raising the Hustler" shirt on www.facebook.com/raisingthehustler

This fundraiser will run from Dec. 19, 2013 to Jan 19, 2014 with orders being sent out after Feb2, 2014

Thank you,

-Ms. Angel Levine
director "Raising the Hustler"
raisingthehustler@yahoo.com

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Hi Angel,

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you at the Cup. When you invited me upstairs at the Mirage, I truly didn't know what I was in for. ;) Nor did Lou. That was very memorable, thank you. You showed us on the foyer of floor
20 on your laptop @ a 9 minute trailer of Dancing With The Stars ;) - which included very candid footage of Ronnie W and Billy I.

The look and excitement on your face while we watched was priceless. It's my wish that Sundance gives your documentary the green light.

Hey Angel... How long is your doc? How many pros do you have in it? How many years did your footage cover? When can us homers get ahold of it?

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Set up your own website and invite donations... most of us have draws of too many T-shirts, but would be willing to help a good project.... especially if it had some teasers.

fireball

Humble opinion from an tv production director...what exactly is this besides a bunch of interviews? What sets it aside from other documentaries about pool? How does the title relate to the content? Do you have a treatment available for potential sponsors?

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
other documentaries?

Humble opinion from an tv production director...what exactly is this besides a bunch of interviews? What sets it aside from other documentaries about pool? How does the title relate to the content? Do you have a treatment available for potential sponsors?

Hi there,

I'm sorry you assume that this is simply a bunch of interviews-while there are interviews, there is a story.

What sets it aside?
No one male or female has gone to the lengths I have to talk to the pro's, and the heads of industry and can convey our story in the compelling and comprehensive way I have.
Anyone can paint a bowl of fruit.
I go to the museum to see how Picasso paints his.

I have not released the treatment for"Raising the Hustler".
If you're at DCC introduce yourself :)
-CP

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your T-shirts looked like your avatar, you would sell more and I would buy another one.

I'm very much looking forward to the documentary being released.

Good luck and thank you.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi BigJohn89

Sorry to dig up a dinosaur but was this ever completed? I can't find it anywhere?

Hi BigJohn89,
Thank you for asking about the film-
Let me answer you this way:
You don't go around the world asking everybody what the problem is without figuring out what some of the solutions are.

Pool has always been hat in hand, i.e. please Camel cigarettes, Gordon's Gin, won't you deem us worthy of your representation and sponsorship dollars

I am of the mind that we are entirely amazing and more than capable enough of accomplishing this ourselves, even in spite of our greedy, masochistic tendencies.
I say "our" because I play and I grew up playing, so I'm not without eyes, ears and a mind. I get "it"
I've worked hard to lay foundations to maximize our potential and not just be another drip in the mainstream ephemera, so that we can do more, be more have more and create the seeds of growth for all cue sports.
Everything connected to "Raising the Hustler" is in order to make pool self sufficient, & and if I have anything to say about it, we will never have to beg again.

Thank you again for your interest, and I promise I will be screaming from the rooftops when things start going down ;)

-Angel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uxH63RqwSM

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Angel,

Are you still selling the t-shirts ?? I tried the old link but was having problems ??

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No Chicago RJ

Angel,

Are you still selling the t-shirts ?? I tried the old link but was having problems ??

Hi ChicagoRJ,
No, it was just a one time Booster thing to generate buzz and support for "Raising the Hustler"
I may do another one as things progress. :thumbup:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
You want 'good' right?'

What's good? Unless your last name is herzog, gibney, Moore or similar I won't hold my breath. Simply asking if it came out. And yes, "good" would be nice. I recommend a total history of the game, including the jansco jamborees and such is included. Is it's gonna be about some pro pool players and league nights and such, ehh. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums