Cue builders who can make a four point cue for 1000

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out Bob Frey Cues.

I was gonna say Bob too. Thing is , he is now semi retired and not taking " orders " per say. He is now making what " he likes " and then they go up for sale so I have a "feeling " what he likes may not be a $1000 cue lol. But for that matter you can get one of his brand new 4 point SP for $600 ish and that seems just like what your spades citing almost and I can tell you his SP's have always been at the top of my list out of all cues for hit, quality, and value. GL, welcome back!

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand the desire to buy a new cue but with all the deals out there on used cues, you're going to get a much bigger bang for your buck. Plus, if you buy right, you can sell it later without losing any money. And no wait. With cue makers, that year could turn into 1 1/2 or 2 years as well.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz.

I mean, seriously - do you want a custom that you'll probably not like afterwards and cannot return, like around 50% of the customs?

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Mezz.

I mean, seriously - do you want a custom that you'll probably not like afterwards and cannot return, like around 50% of the customs?

I have a Mezz and do like it; but .... most of the folks here seem to really like the custom cues they've had made. I'm wondering why you assume that he'll not like what he orders. ???

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I don't know anything much about Marley cues, but man that sure is pretty and seems like a nice price!

I said my thing about Marley Cues, I don't want to step on toes so I'm deleting.
Nobody said anything but I don't like to bad mouth anyone.
Just thought the OP should know

☮️ Peace

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Mezz and do like it; but .... most of the folks here seem to really like the custom cues they've had made. I'm wondering why you assume that he'll not like what he orders. ???

I've been reading various forums for over 2 years now.
I also check with the "for sale" sections quite frequently. Many custom cues are sold again, even 1-3 months after they've been received.
Most of them read "I cannot get along with the cue" or "it's too expensive to be a daily player".
Recently there was one guy trying to sell a cue butt, and no matter what shaft he put on this, it was dead.

The amount of customs to be sold again is shocking.
The amount of crappy, high deflection shafts is shocking.

I cannot remotely advice anybody to order a custom.
Not even remotely.

Please continue now.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also check with the "for sale" sections quite frequently. Many custom cues are sold again, even 1-3 months after they've been received.
Most of them read "I cannot get along with the cue" or "it's too expensive to be a daily player".
Recently there was one guy trying to sell a cue butt, and no matter what shaft he put on this, it was dead.

Not even remotely.

Please continue now.

There are many other factors to consider beyond the making the assumption that because people sell cues shortly after purchase it indicates custom cues are a poor choice.

I'm sure that some sell cues for the reasons you state, but some people buy cues just to try with the plan to then sell them a few weeks later. Anyone who pays full value for a cue on the off-chance it will suit them is making a fool's purchase.

There is also the oversaturated, and shrinking, market into which more and more cues are added each year.

Other players buy cues trying to flip them for a $50 profit and when they don't sell, they are relisted into infinity until they realize cue flipping is not for them.

A cue that fails to sell in a matter of weeks or even months, might indicate it is not priced correctly, or might be a cue that needs more time to find the correct buyer.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question is "will" not "can", and it's a silly one considering the quality of cues coming out of the woodwork from hobbyists, new builders, and every level of mass-production factory.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Andy Gilbert....still about the most bang for your buck out there and I’ve geen saying it for 16 years now

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not even remotely.

Please continue now.

Can you expand on that argument?
There's a huge amount of cues being made at any moment, some are players, some are "dream" cues and some are pure show pieces.
If someone orders a cue and flip it a short while later because they can't afford to own the cue they ordered, that's not the cuemakers fault.
Do cues sometimes not meet the customers idea of how it should play, look or feel? Sure, but that might not be the cuemakers fault at all, you should see some of the requests a cuemaker gets, sometimes there is a gap between real world physics and what the customer wants. That is why you see more and more cuemakers just turning out cues at their own pace with woods, designs and measurements they like...Btw: I too love Mezz cues and I think it's by far the best production cues out there

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Check out Bob Dzuricky of DZ cues. He usually opens his books around Jan/Feb and is a heck of a builder. He's a great guy to talk to too.