Things that pro pool is doing correctly.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd figure let's take a break from the "how to fix pro pool" and let's instead focus on the right things about it.

So in your opinion, what are things that people who run professional pool tournaments are doing correct?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd figure let's take a break from the "how to fix pro pool" and let's instead focus on the right things about it.

So in your opinion, what are things that people who run professional pool tournaments are doing correct?
Most professional tournaments now seem to be played on diamond tables and most all are played on Simonis tournament blue 860HR cloth, regardless if the tournament is played on seven footers or nine footers. The balls do seem to differ, but at least the table and cloth brand (both generally accepted as the very best) usually remain the same.

Also, from the perspective of the spectator, it’s hard to beat. Compared to other sporting events, it’s incredibly inexpensive and often even free to go watch. You can get quite close to the action, and if you make the effort, have the opportunity to engage in a conversation with some of the top pro players, between their matches. What other professional sport could that happen?

Last edited:

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Well, to the best of my knowledge, players are actually getting paid.....

-von

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most professional tournaments now seem to be played on diamond tables and most all are played on Simonis tournament blue 860HR cloth, regardless if the tournament is played on seven footers or nine footers. The balls do seem to differ, but at least the table and cloth brand (both generally accepted as the very best) usually remain the same.

Also, from the perspective of the spectator, it’s hard to beat. Compared to other sporting events, it’s incredibly inexpensive and often even free to go watch. You can get quite close to the action, and if you make the effort, have the opportunity to engage in a conversation with some of the top pro players, between their matches. What other professional sport could that happen?

This is a catch 22 situation for pool right now where the spectators benefit. Prices for sporting events, like everything else are based on supply and demand. if everyone wanted to watch pro pool, and they had 100 seats available, the price would be $$hundreds a a seat- like Yankee Stadium! Also, you are not competing at viewing venues with corporate seating. So it is chaeper or free to go see them play now because you and I are the only ones caring about going!

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
the new generation of young players like a shaw or a filler are more connected techwise with the older pros like an Appleton or a immonen than the last generation was with their predecessors, so its relatively easy to follow matches and their careers as they all seem like a unit. and the matches on youtube instead of having to stream from an unreliable website with issues. overall, its easy to follow pool today if youre a fan. pro pool is also very accessible as are the players, ive met every famous pool player we know, got their autographs, ive gotten lessons from them. its a unique experience bc its a niche sport. they do a lot right considering theyre fighting a losing fight when it comes to fans and sponsors. we can all talk shit, but if you go to a poolhall theres a chance youll run into a PROFESSIONAL pool player, arguably the most difficult game in the world. that's pretty damn cool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The increasing use of neutral rackers in the big events is a huge step forward in our game. The racking arguments and controversies are very hard to deal with for the fans and make the matches boring.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd figure let's take a break from the "how to fix pro pool" and let's instead focus on the right things about it.?

Absolutely nothing! Evidence is from the money in pool, PPV is killing pool slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as U.S. pro pool i think having all the top quality events in Vegas is a plus. Its easy to get to, relatively affordable and generally has good weather. Its good for players and spectators imo. Having the World 10ball and US Open along with the other pro events Vegas is kinda the un-official home of pro pool. I really wish the three separate 14.1 promoters could get together and have ONE official, no-shit straight-pool title tournament.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The increasing use of neutral rackers in the big events is a huge step forward in our game. The racking arguments and controversies are very hard to deal with for the fans and make the matches boring.
Stu, do you think the racking templates, and the tournaments that use them have been a big improvement in pro pool to help alleviate the issues you’ve described? I know there are some issues with the template as well - the biggest one being that is too easy to make a wing ball, which I think is why racking the nine on the spot is a better option when using a template.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stu, do you think the racking templates, and the tournaments that use them have been a big improvement in pro pool to help alleviate the issues you’ve described? I know there are some issues with the template as well - the biggest one being that is too easy to make a wing ball, which I think is why racking the nine on the spot is a better option when using a template.
IMO, regardless of racking method all pro-level 9ball should rack 9-on-spot. They also need to STOP re-racking altogether. Its ok to look but then whack 'em.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Racking templates are probably a necessary evil in all events not having neutral racker, but no, I'd rather live in a world that had no templates. I think pool lost its way many years ago by embracing the premise that one should always get the exact same rack. Knowledge of the rack is and should be rewarded, but players should not be permitted to manipulate the rack. The Matchroom method of "neutral racker and no reracks but breaker is allowed to inspect the rack before breaking the balls" works best.

Still, on balance, templates have added to the game's integrity while subtracting from the game's excitement by making the break more predictable and repetitious.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Racking templates are probably a necessary evil in all events not having neutral racker, but no, I'd rather live in a world that had no templates. I think pool lost its way many years ago by embracing the premise that one should always get the exact same rack. Knowledge of the rack is and should be rewarded, but players should not be permitted to manipulate the rack. The Matchroom method of "neutral racker and no reracks but breaker is allowed to inspect the rack before breaking the balls" works best.

Still, on balance, templates have added to the game's integrity while subtracting from the game's excitement by making the break more predictable and repetitious.
Yep. Agree on all counts.