SVB will be the first millionaire pool player??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
talk to the old timers about money won at the rack in detroit
the issue is
ITS NOT WHAT YOU WIN ITS WHAT YOU KEEP......:rolleyes:
just sayin.....:D

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big difference between being a millionaire and having earned a million dollars over many years.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't Earl have been the first millionaire if he actually got paid??
And he would have done it in 1 tournament :p

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member

True that. Earl did win the 1 million dollar challenge but he never saw the whole million due to some complications with the bank. Jay talked about this in his book, Pool Wars. I believe he still did get something like 250k. I still wouldn't doubt if either Earl or Keith have made over a 1 million dollars easy. Maybe having a million dollars all at once would be a better question to ask regarding this.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
true, but he only got about half and than squandered it.
Big difference between being a millionaire and having earned a million dollars over many years.
well, I mean having a million in the bank when its all said and done.
talk to the old timers about money won at the rack in detroit
the issue is
ITS NOT WHAT YOU WIN ITS WHAT YOU KEEP......:rolleyes:
just sayin.....:D

that's the problem in pool. and my question would be that he would theoretically keep it, become an actual millionaire. he already won a million dollars. by the time he's over the hill would he have won enough to become rich. be it investing it and such.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
IMO He still technically won $1 million. It's not his fault that they screwed him out of it.

true, but the point of the question is, looking at his yearly victories, is would he become an actual millionaire, as in 7 figures in his banking account, like other pro athletes. would he never have to work when he retires?? will we have an actual pool player that will be in the spotlight as having made a good living off of pool. the question isn't did he win a million dollars, plenty of guys have won and lost that throught the years.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Quiet guys uncle Sam is listening on one of his many spy satellites you will get SVB in trouble!

Figure taxes on the million!
Figure food, air and hotel!
Subtract 33% then 33% again. Take home 330,000 over ten years! Is 33,000 a year average. Not living high on the hog in my opinion!

Sponsors help but had one only half the ten years.

Pro life is too tough. I am going to take up double dutch. Pays better!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
IMO He still technically won $1 million. It's not his fault that they screwed him out of it.

It's kinda like winning the lottery, take it all at once and lose a ton in taxes. I think, don't quote me in this, that it had to do with the way CJ could pay it out.

But I remember having seen a picture of Earl holding a check from Carson Wiley to Earl Strickland in the amount of $640,000.00. It was hand written too. Earl had the biggest shit eating grin on his face. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. CJ's documentary on the million dollar challenge probably has all the facts in it.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
in '06 efren won $500,000 in the IPT 8-ball. the year before that he won $200,000 the same event. just not sure if he got paid in full.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Quiet guys uncle Sam is listening on one of his many spy satellites you will get SVB in trouble!

Figure taxes on the million!
Figure food, air and hotel!
Subtract 33% then 33% again. Take home 330,000 over ten years! Is 33,000 a year average. Not living high on the hog in my opinion!

Sponsors help but had one only half the ten years.

Pro life is too tough. I am going to take up double dutch. Pays better!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

true, but alot of those are paid out in cash, and if he does pay taxes its not on all of it, only enought to build a SSB or equivalent. either way, he's only 31, lives in SD, which is cheap to live in. I think he'll be a positive role model for the public's view of pool.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LiscottiEarlPCA 002.jpg
It's kinda like winning the lottery, take it all at once and lose a ton in taxes. I think, don't quote me in this, that it had to do with the way CJ could pay it out.

But I remember having seen a picture of Earl holding a check from Carson Wiley to Earl Strickland in the amount of $640,000.00. It was hand written too. Earl had the biggest shit eating grin on his face. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. CJ's documentary on the million dollar challenge probably has all the facts in it.
Earl got 50k paid out of CJs own money right after he won
the million was to be paid 50k a year for 20 years by the insurance co
but Earl took a lump sum after the case was won
in court

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The prize money hasn't been that great in pool, however ......

We paid $3.4 Million for my last club, Carsons Palace which generated over 37 million in revenue and it was mainly because of pool. "CJ's Billiard Palace" also grossed over 17 million in the 17 years I owned and operated it, with Earl Strickland winning the Million Dollar Challenge at CJ's as well (worth $630,000 at the time of the event).

When we closed one part of the Carsons Palace deal (a million dollar personal loan) the loan officers said bluntly "we don't know why we're finalizing this loan just on your signature, although you can always attributed it to what you've accomplished in pool".

The prize money hasn't been that great in pool, however players like Allen Hopkins, Steve Mizerak, Nick Varner, and myself have generated millions as a result of leveraging other pool related businesses (billiard supply, trade shows, clubs, etc).
10458771_959247110767992_583062176823890026_n.jpg

http://www.azbilliards.com/people/4315-shane-van-boening/
At least american. I'm sure efren is a millionaire in the Philippines with the exchange.
but anyone else ever made this kind of money in pool??

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
He actually did get paid, and the entire story is on the documentary

He actually did get paid, and the entire story is on the documentary ( www.cjwiley.com ) 'The Million Dollar Pool Shot' - which has the actual footage from the event and interviews with Jay, Max Eberle, Earl Strickland and several other eye witnesses to this historic event.