how can i make linen more tacky/stiky/grippy

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
pretty stupid question I know bc the point of linen is to absorb moisture from your hands, bur in the winter months the hands stay pretty dry and the cue is slippery. its really annoying

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Silver Member
pretty stupid question I know bc the point of linen is to absorb moisture from your hands, bur in the winter months the hands stay pretty dry and the cue is slippery. its really annoying

Take some wax paper (make sure you have the side with the wax on it) rub it up and down over the wrap briskly. It will be more tacky, and the warmth from your hand (when you play with it) will melt it somewhat making it more tacky...I hate slippery linen...to me it's like playing with a ice sickle in your hand.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Take some wax paper (make sure you have the side with the wax on it) rub it up and down over the wrap briskly. It will be more tacky, and the warmth from your hand (when you play with it) will melt it somewhat making it more tacky...I hate slippery linen...to me it's like playing with a ice sickle in your hand.

yeah gotta try that. I had another linen cue and i put some bees wax on it, it was very light but when the hands got warmer it got too sticky and it felt terrible, lol. it even changed the feel of the cue believe or not, even in very small amounts.but the wax paper might be the right wy to go.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've had this a couple of times...
I'd try the easiest and harmless method first: take gentle soap (like sheepsmilk or somesuch), put it on a wet towel and gently rub down the wrap (I turn the butt and hold the towel).
Doing it twice will have a bigger effect, so be careful.

Then gently use another towel to dry.

Wait ~1h for it to be fully dried. Then check the feeling. It should feel warm and cozy. If not, redo.

Cheers,
M

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the linen a little, some is slicker than others. Whatever is on my Runde is not overly pressed nor super slick, has a nice feel and absorbs moisture well.

I would try either waxed paper or just a little water on a rag as if you were cleaning the wrap. Waxed paper leaves behind a bit of wax which can cause some tackiness and water tends to make the wrap less smooth...almost like raising the grain on a shaft if you get it wet. Hard to say which would work best. I'd start with the wax as it wears off in time and will go back to normal. In my experience once you wet a wrap it would need to be repressed to get it smooth again if you didn't like it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
After you've hit the wrap with whatever type/method of applying wax, then take a hair dryer and bleed it into the wrap. You tack/is fixd'.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Linen may be slippery and hard to play with but it makes up for it by being ugly.

JC

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
nowadays for some reason makers iron it down to make it like that. used to be left as is and worked fine. only thing thats safe is to frequently use a little soft soap and warm water and wipe it down then rub it and fluff up what you can.
or get it re-wrapped and tell him not to press it at all.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had a problem with irish linen feeling slippery. Now, I HAVE played with cues that were supposed to be wrapped with linen and weren't and they WERE slippery. I've played with pressed and double pressed irish linen and it wasn't slippery to me. I can't play with leather, myself.