Mosconi Cup 2020

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 2020 Mosconi Cup will be in London at Alexandra Palace (about 40 minutes north of downtown London). It will be December 1-4. They are expanding seating to about 3000. From a Matchroom announcement:

Tickets for the 2020 partypoker Mosconi Cup will now go on sale to Matchroom Pool Club members on Wednesday, December 4th at 12:00 UK Time. Tickets will go on general sale on Thursday, December 5th at 12:00 UK time.

As a Matchroom Pool Club subscriber you will receive an email at 12:00 on Wednesday, December 4th with a link to the ticket pre-sale website.

Full ticket pricing will be available soon at www.matchroompool.com.
That time of year is actually good for touristing in London as there are no crowds. The MC starts about 7PM so you will have most of the day to sightsee.

It would be awesome if the USA fans were as loud as they were in Las Vegas this time.

I think the VIP tickets get you dinner each night before the matches. There is also a reasonable pub at the venue and a bunch of food booths in the arena area. Go for the ribs and tell them Bob sent you. That should get some puzzled looks.;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 2020 Mosconi Cup will be in London at Alexandra Palace (about 40 minutes north of downtown London). It will be December 1-4. They are expanding seating to about 3000. From a Matchroom announcement:

Tickets for the 2020 partypoker Mosconi Cup will now go on sale to Matchroom Pool Club members on Wednesday, December 4th at 12:00 UK Time. Tickets will go on general sale on Thursday, December 5th at 12:00 UK time.

As a Matchroom Pool Club subscriber you will receive an email at 12:00 on Wednesday, December 4th with a link to the ticket pre-sale website.

Full ticket pricing will be available soon at www.matchroompool.com.
That time of year is actually good for touristing in London as there are no crowds. The MC starts about 7PM so you will have most of the day to sightsee.

It would be awesome if the USA fans were as loud as they were in Las Vegas this time.

I think the VIP tickets get you dinner each night before the matches. There is also a reasonable pub at the venue and a bunch of food booths in the arena area. Go for the ribs and tell them Bob sent you. That should get some puzzled looks.;)

You didn't mention the weather. It's being held in the dead of Winter over there. It's pretty hard to do much in London at that time of the year unless you enjoy the snow and cold. And the traffic - UGH! A few years ago the weather was so bad they had to shut down Heathrow Airport right after the MC was completed. Some people got snowed in for a few days. As for me I prefer not to fly in bad weather at all, even if planes are taking off. '

Not to mention a round trip ticket from the USA at that time of year is no cheap date, plus hotel rooms over there rival those in midtown Manhattan. In other words, very pricey. Conservatively it's a $2,500-3,000 expense if you want to see the MC in person next year. OR you can watch it in the comfort of your home on cable TV. :rolleyes:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't mention the weather. It's being held in the dead of Winter over there. It's pretty hard to do much in London at that time of the year unless you enjoy the snow and cold. And the traffic - UGH! A few years ago the weather was so bad they had to shut down Heathrow Airport right after the MC was completed. Some people got snowed in for a few days. As for me I prefer not to fly in bad weather at all, even if planes are taking off. '

Not to mention a round trip ticket from the USA at that time of year is no cheap date, plus hotel rooms over there rival those in midtown Manhattan. In other words, very pricey. Conservatively it's a $2,500-3,000 expense if you want to see the MC in person next year. OR you can watch it in the comfort of your home on cable TV. :rolleyes:

Which is why I think about 90% of that expected 3,000 + crowd will be home team rowdy and salivating for Euro revenge.
2019 was the first time the USA side drowned out the European side in a long time. I expect the 2020 audience to ensure this isn’t repeated.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I rarely disagree with you, but travel early December is probably the least expensive time to go to London, which is generally an expensive city. and truly one of the great cities of the world. Plenty of first class hotels available at $200 per night. The storm you experienced was out of the ordinary. Usual temperatures are in the high 40's, a bit warmer than New York. Airfares that time of year are relatively inexpensive. Anyway, it's all relative. the restaurants, shows (which are amazing) and tourist attractions are uncrowded. Bundle up and go!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Been to London many times, including the MC twice never even saw snow there.
Yes, it does snow on occasion and it can be chilly but you make it sound like Toronto ;-)

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wowser

Sounds daunting. My wife and me went to Vegas once long ago to see what all the excitement was about. I won 35 bucks at Black Jack and ate lots of cheap good food. Saw Gene Pitney and a couple of other good shows.

Wind blew like a banshee and it snowed. Went to Red Rock and it snowed. Came back to Alaska and darned if it wasn't snowing.

I am more afraid of radicals and being unarmed then bad weather...…..

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I rarely disagree with you, but travel early December is probably the least expensive time to go to London, which is generally an expensive city. and truly one of the great cities of the world. Plenty of first class hotels available at $200 per night. The storm you experienced was out of the ordinary. Usual temperatures are in the high 40's, a bit warmer than New York. Airfares that time of year are relatively inexpensive. Anyway, it's all relative. the restaurants, shows (which are amazing) and tourist attractions are uncrowded. Bundle up and go!

Been there, done that, twice. Best deal I could find on airfare was just over $1,000 RT (eleven hour flight from L.A.). Add in another $1,000+ for the hotel and add $500 for local transportation (taxis, airport shuttles) and food (New York prices) and bingo you've spent $2,500.

It was cold and dreary both times I was there. And traffic was horrible. I preferred to walk in the neighborhood around York Hall to see the local sights. The Childrens Museum was the highlight of my last trip there, a truly wonderful place. If I ever go back to London it won't be in the Winter. Same for New York.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snow is rare in London and when it does it rarely settles. Like Seattle or Vancouver. Rarely uncomfortably cold - you just got unlucky with the winters you were there. But yeh, it’s never cheap.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
We’ve got to cut jay some slack. I believe he’s lived a lot of his life in California, where they’re not often exposed to serious cold ��

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a few tickets back and forth from London for this month and January and it wasn't bad at all. Paid under $800US for all of them. The ticket on the 13th was around $600. And judging by how many jackets I keep seeing my son buy on my credit card it must be cold as hell over there. Or at least for a Florida boy. But no mention of snow yet.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We’ve got to cut jay some slack. I believe he’s lived a lot of his life in California, where they’re not often exposed to serious cold ��

I grew up in Ohio so don't need any reminders of the cold winters I endured for my first 22 years. :wink:
Same reason I finally quit going to Louisville for DCC in January. Like I said I prefer not to fly in bad weather. That's just me.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in Ohio so don't need any reminders of the cold winters I endured for my first 22 years. :wink:
Same reason I finally quit going to Louisville for DCC in January. Like I said I prefer not to fly in bad weather. That's just me.

If I can see my breath I don't get out of bed.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Been there, done that, twice. Best deal I could find on airfare was just over $1,000 RT (eleven hour flight from L.A.). Add in another $1,000+ for the hotel and add $500 for local transportation (taxis, airport shuttles) and food (New York prices) and bingo you've spent $2,500.

It was cold and dreary both times I was there. And traffic was horrible. I preferred to walk in the neighborhood around York Hall to see the local sights. The Childrens Museum was the highlight of my last trip there, a truly wonderful place. If I ever go back to London it won't be in the Winter. Same for New York.

Yeah, we're spoiled by Southern California. I lived in Boston for six months and high tailed it back to L.A. after the first winter and the Blizzard of '77.

Jay, there are cheap flights now if you avoid the holidays. During the summer I golfed in Scotland and flew business class on Virgin Atlantic - it was amazing.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

I hung out in Sandusky for the winter once, definitely gets chilly in the buckeye state.

I think cold weather is good for pool playing though, at least much better than humid summer days.

One day I want to make the trip to see this action in London. I’ve only ever been in European airports. Plus we need loud American fans over there. If anyone wants to sponsor me for this 2020 trip I’ll shout loud enough for 3.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great news AFAIC!

There's never been a White Christmas over here in London that I remember :( It does snow occasionally but it melts away very quickly. It's usually around 50F (been 45F today) so not too bad compared to some areas stateside!

Hotels are pricey indeed but Ally Pally is no central London by a long shot and you are likely to find some decent options at c.£100 a night round there, especially if booked in advance.

Thanks for the info Bob! I'll be on the lookout for an email from Matchroom PC tomorrow!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great news AFAIC!

There's never been a White Christmas over here in London that I remember :( It does snow occasionally but it melts away very quickly. It's usually around 50F (been 45F today) so not too bad compared to some areas stateside!

Hotels are pricey indeed but Ally Pally is no central London by a long shot and you are likely to find some decent options at c.£100 a night round there, especially if booked in advance.

Thanks for the info Bob! I'll be on the lookout for an email from Matchroom PC tomorrow!

I'll help you out. The average number of days of snowfall in London each year is sixteen days. And the average amount of snowfall is 18.4 inches per year. The heaviest months for snow are from December through February. So it is not so unusual to see snow in London in December.

Here's more good news. The average daily temperature in London during December is between 37 to 44 degrees Fahrenheit. The average amount of sunlight per day is one hour and the average amount of rainfall per day is 53 minutes. It rains an average of 17 days in December. So it's kind of cold and wet on average at that time of year. Some people probably enjoy that kind of weather. I'm not one of them. Give me a nice sunny beach and I'm happy. :cool:

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Add D.C. To that list, too. Disgusting all winter long...dirty and grey.

Beautiful all summer and fall though, especially on a bike.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The average daily temperature in London during December is between 37 to 44 degrees Fahrenheit. The average amount of sunlight per day is one hour and the average amount of rainfall per day is 53 minutes. It rains an average of 17 days in December. So it's kind of cold and wet on average at that time of year. Some people probably enjoy that kind of weather. I'm not one of them. Give me a nice sunny beach and I'm happy. :cool:

Wow, that sounds more like Edinburgh to me lol. Guess I am just used to it. By the way, it's 49F today and a great sunny day! It has not been raining since weekend.

I'm all booked up for Mosconi Cup 2020 and looking forward to it!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Matchroom just announced that they sold one third of the seats for the next Mosconi Cup on the first day of sales. That's 1000 of 3000 seats for an event that is a year away.

As for the weather, I think Jay is overstating his case. I would much rather been in London that time of year than in southern Indiana. :thumbup: If you are not into being a tourist and sightseeing and things like that, then maybe it is better for you to stay home. For me, life is about having experiences and I think the MC in London is an experience that a pool fan should plan to have at least once.

As for the cost of the hotels, I just reserved a three-bedroom house for five nights. It is within walking distance of Alexandra Palace but I would take the bus up the hill. The total cost is $1329 including tax and cleaning fee. It also has sofa beds in two other rooms. I may be looking for roommates.;) If you are interested, I'll point you at lots of pictures on Booking.com.

The house is a 16-minute bus ride from a snooker club that has also carom tables.

Last edited: