RIP Pete Horn

davidhop

Grade A choke master
Silver Member
RIP Pete.
He was one of the best players that I ever saw...Always treated me good too.

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will miss Pete too

Even though I hadn't seen Pete in about 15 years he used to come to my pool room in New Orleans often during the 90s. Pete was a great guy, good player, and used to stay on the road hustling pool by himself for over a year at a time. He used to get a t-shirt from most of the pool rooms he visited on the road and he told me he had quite a collection. Will miss you Pete, I probably won't be long behind you !

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Pete Horne...Met him in Burlington N.C. somewhere in the mid 90's...i was playing in a tourney that had brought the all the best players in a 90 miles radius... Pete of course being the best... i was playing a tough match on the main table and was struggling...i looked over at Pete and he tapped his chest and said "heart kid heart" well needless to say i won on the hill playing a good player from Raliegh named Roger Jackson...I didnt win the tourney but finished 5th....
Pete was always trying to help...he was a great friend of mine and i will never forget him...Gonna miss you Pete Horne...

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is sad news. Pete was always a part of the pro tournaments that came to Atlanta in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember once at Hot Shots in Marietta he was playing banks against another good bank player. I don't know who won, but Pete was shooting most of his banks at one pocket speed. The other player was firing them like most players do, but Pete was just slow rolling them and either making them or leaving them hanging in the corners. I have heard he normally shot harder than that playing banks, but I guess he was just throwing the other guy's rythym off. Or he may have been giving up weight and had to play real careful. Almost every time he missed the other guy had nothing to shoot at. He was just picking off one ball at a time and not playing shape for a second one. I have never seen anyone else play that good of a safety banks game.

Last edited:

the diesel

Proud Pa Pa!!!
Silver Member
Pete Horne and Earl Strickland both were born right here where I live in a very small town of Roseboro,N.C. Well earl just outside Roseboro. Pete was around 10 years older than earl. Both started and learned how to play pool right here in roseboro at a poolroom downtown called Carson's. Carson Naylor was the owner of this poolroom and many say no one around this area could touch Mr.Carson on the pool table in the 1940's and 50's and 60's. Mr.Carson was the one that taught both pete and earl alot about pool when they were young and he seen both had a god given talent and had a great desire to be great.When earl was very young he would help Mr.Carson rack the balls for the customers. Mr.Carson had 4 9ft tables and a black and white tv with an old fridge that kept drinks cold and had sandwiches also. I have had great memories over the years going there back then. Pete Horne was a great player and could play with anyone in the world in his prime. I'm telling you he could put the balls in the pocket.Back in the late 70's I was at autryville poolroom less than 10 miles from roseboro and pete was playing a very good player in 6 ball which was very popular back then. Pete was spotting the guy the 4 and 5 which is alot playing 6 ball. They were playing $20 a game and they played for about 2 hours. Pete Horne took that guy to the cleaners. In the 2 hours they played I only seen pete miss 3 or 4 shots and they were kick shots (normally he made hard kick shots also). They only time this guy could shoot is when pete didn't make a ball on the break which wasn't often. This helpless guy set there and watch pete run rack after rack after rack.I have been playing pool for over 35 years and it's the best performance I've ever seen.Pete gave up pool for a few years because he said he just got burned out on it. I ran into him about 3 or 4 years ago at little reno poolroom in Fayetteville,N.C. and he said he had started back playing again so we played awhile and talked about the good old times at carson's poolroom. He played very good but nowhere the speed he did in the 70's,80's and 90's. I asked pete that day why did he not go play in the big tournaments like earl and he told me that he could make more money on the road gambling than he could in tournaments. Also pete back then didn't have a backer,didn't need a backer and didn't want a backer as he always had his own money even when playing for 10's of thousands of dollars. Pete was one of the few great players that would take up time with other players to help improve their game. Pete was an extremely nice man and willing to help others. Like all of us pete had problems that greatly affected his life and pool game over the last several years but he still was a treat for me to be around. He will be greatly missed. Thanks

Last edited:

FreeShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that. I saw Pete play around the Fayetteville area. One of the great unknown players. What happened?

Fast Davie NC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Horne and Earl Strickland both were born right here where I live in a very small town of Roseboro,N.C. Well earl just outside Roseboro. Pete was around 10 years older than earl. Both started and learned how to play pool right here in roseboro at a poolroom downtown called Carson's. Carson Naylor was the owner of this poolroom and many say no one around this area could touch Mr.Carson on the pool table in the 1940's and 50's and 60's. Mr.Carson was the one that taught both pete and earl alot about pool when they were young and he seen both had a god given talent and had a great desire to be great.When earl was very young he would help Mr.Carson rack the balls for the customers. Mr.Carson had 4 9ft tables and a black and white tv with an old fridge that kept drinks cold and had sandwiches also. I have had great memories over the years going there back then. Pete Horne was a great player and could play with anyone in the world in his prime. I'm telling you he could put the balls in the pocket.Back in the late 70's I was at autryville poolroom less than 10 miles from roseboro and pete was playing a very good player in 6 ball which was very popular back then. Pete was spotting the guy the 4 and 5 which is alot playing 6 ball. They were playing $20 a game and they played for about 2 hours. Pete Horne took that guy to the cleaners. In the 2 hours they played I only seen pete miss 3 or 4 shots and they were kick shots (normally he made hard kick shots also). They only time this guy could shoot is when pete didn't make a ball on the break which wasn't often. This helpless guy set there and watch pete run rack after rack after rack.I have been playing pool for over 35 years and it's the best performance I've ever seen.Pete gave up pool for a few years because he said he just got burned out on it. I ran into him about 3 or 4 years ago at little reno poolroom in Fayetteville,N.C. and he said he had started back playing again so we played awhile and talked about the good old times at carson's poolroom. He played very good but nowhere the speed he did in the 70's,80's and 90's. I asked pete that day why did he not go play in the big tournaments like earl and he told me that he could make more money on the road gambling than he could in tournaments. Also pete back then didn't have a backer,didn't need a backer and didn't want a backer as he always had his own money even when playing for 10's of thousands of dollars. Pete was one of the few great players that would take up time with other players to help improve their game. Pete was an extremely nice man and willing to help others. Like all of us pete had problems that greatly affected his life and pool game over the last several years but he still was a treat for me to be around. He will be greatly missed. Thanks
Great Post! Thanks!

slipstroke62

Pete Horne -- FRIEND

I first met Pete in Players Billiards in Fayetteville, NC (no longer exists) back in 1994. As usual, Pete was a gentleman and cordial in every way as he relieved me of all my cash on-hand. We became friends and I told him I didn't mind getting whipped because that was the only way I could truly learn.....to play and learn from the best. I was on active duty in the Army at the time, and Pete and I always had a "running joke" by calling each other EVERYTHING EXCEPT our true names. I'd say "Hey Gilford!" to which he'd reply "Hey FRED!", and we'd always gamble alittle. We always argued over which game was better--9Ball or Straight Pool. Pete hated Straight pool and said it was a sissy's game because: "If you let me shoot ANY BALL I want, I'll beat you every time". I said "Really"? I'll bet you can't run 50 balls right now, on your first inning (Pete had just walked in, and I was playing straight pool by myself). Pete said "BET!". He took out his cue, ran 50 balls, and said "Now go buy me a drink FRED!". Damn smart-ass! He was a GREAT player, and I will miss him dearly. RIP buddy. I love ya Gilford!

Bended Cue

Registered
I first met Pete in Players Billiards in Fayetteville, NC (no longer exists) back in 1994. As usual, Pete was a gentleman and cordial in every way as he relieved me of all my cash on-hand. We became friends and I told him I didn't mind getting whipped because that was the only way I could truly learn.....to play and learn from the best. I was on active duty in the Army at the time, and Pete and I always had a "running joke" by calling each other EVERYTHING EXCEPT our true names. I'd say "Hey Gilford!" to which he'd reply "Hey FRED!", and we'd always gamble alittle. We always argued over which game was better--9Ball or Straight Pool. Pete hated Straight pool and said it was a sissy's game because: "If you let me shoot ANY BALL I want, I'll beat you every time". I said "Really"? I'll bet you can't run 50 balls right now, on your first inning (Pete had just walked in, and I was playing straight pool by myself). Pete said "BET!". He took out his cue, ran 50 balls, and said "Now go buy me a drink FRED!". Damn smart-ass! He was a GREAT player, and I will miss him dearly. RIP buddy. I love ya Gilford!
Do I know you
I played Around there from 92 to 96 at players and little reno
I played with john mcloud and remember little keith
I played pete at players and he is a barbox king
People call me junior or sarge

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
RIP Pete Horn

That's sad, I've run into Pete all over the country. We ran the "roads" most of the same times during the 80s and early 90s.

He could play a top speed, and like most "road players," he could get the ca$h.

RIP Pete Horn, none of us are getting out of "this game" alive. ;) 'The Game is Our Teacher'

little willie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pete was a good friend of mine we play each other nine ball and one pocket could never beat him playing nine ball did beat him at one pocket and one time in a eight ball tournament steer him around Greenville to a lot of places enjoyed playing with him we had some good times together you will be miss buddy:(

sjharr

insert something witty...
Silver Member
Sorry to read he passed. My condolences to his family and friends.

I did not know him personally, but I did see him play. I witnessed his level of a play at a regional great southern billiard tour type event in Charlotte - at Pro Billiards (anyone remember that place?) in the early 90's if memory serves me correctly.

This event had some strong players, a very young lil Tony, lil Stevie, Jaybird, lil Jon, Ronny Parks, Neptune Joe and Pete. I'm sure there are others I am forgetting. They had a big turn out because the finals were not played until late Sunday night and the 1st place prize money was well north of a grand.

I remember sitting there with my old man, as I was just getting really hooked into playing, and watching Pete Horne battle Neptune Joe Frady in the finals of this event. Pete had a sticker on the grip end of his cue and he kept spinning his cue and looking back and forth between the sticker and the cue ball and not stroking until that sticker was pointed in exactly the right direction - I think it was straight up.

If I recall this was a true double elimination event and Pete Horned battled his way through the one-loss side and beat Neptune Joe twice to take down the tourney.

Steve H.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to read he passed. My condolences to his family and friends.

I did not know him personally, but I did see him play. I witnessed his level of a play at a regional great southern billiard tour type event in Charlotte - at Pro Billiards (anyone remember that place?) in the early 90's if memory serves me correctly.

This event had some strong players, a very young lil Tony, lil Stevie, Jaybird, lil Jon, Ronny Parks, Neptune Joe and Pete. I'm sure there are others I am forgetting. They had a big turn out because the finals were not played until late Sunday night and the 1st place prize money was well north of a grand.

I remember sitting there with my old man, as I was just getting really hooked into playing, and watching Pete Horne battle Neptune Joe Frady in the finals of this event. Pete had a sticker on the grip end of his cue and he kept spinning his cue and looking back and forth between the sticker and the cue ball and not stroking until that sticker was pointed in exactly the right direction - I think it was straight up.

If I recall this was a true double elimination event and Pete Horned battled his way through the one-loss side and beat Neptune Joe twice to take down the tourney.

Steve H.

I was sitting there getting the same education... (Bruce's Pro Billiards- before I moved to LKN I lived 2 blocks behind Pro Billiards)... What respect all those guys had for him. Saw him in another bigger event @ Brass Taps in Raleigh short time after that...mid to late 90's. (Archer, Hatch, Strickland, Coltrain, Watson, Dollar, old Charlie -mouthy always looking to get in action and many more)... It sounded like a family reunion as they all paid there 'much respects' to Pete game. Wished I coulda spent more time playing back then. Some of us had to work to keep these guy playing as long as they could.... :p

Randy

mark smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Guy

Pete drove truck for Tyson Chicken the whole time I knew him (mid to late 90s and for seems like 5 or 6 years). I own a pool room in Russellville Arkansas, big time poultry country. Pete would come in and just bang balls for hours on end, usually by himself, while waiting to be loaded or unloaded. I swear he never seem ed to concentrate or bear down, he could put on a show just banging balls and carrying on a conversation. Funny story: one of my best local kids talked him to playing some nine ball and young Frank was playing dead serious for like 2 hours (no money involved, Pete never gambled in my place). They finish up and I guess Frank felt like he hit em pretty good and he says "so Pete, what do you think of my game?" Pete says "well Frank, if I think was you I would take a couple of weeks off and then just quit altogether". Probably not so funny reading this but if you could have seen the look on Frank's face, I thought he was going to cry. Finally Pete grins and tells Frank he is getting better. I really miss visiting with Pete, last time I saw him he had some kind of legal battle going on with a car dealership, something to do with a special Mustang (either a Roush or Saleen).

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met pistol Pete in the late eighties at the triple triangle in Richmond. There would be a yearly tournament and Pete, jr Harris, Chuck Fake, Chuck Safely, Billy Steven and other very good players would duke it out. He was always the a very cool customer and a great player!