Raw potential for Mosconi-Cup-Style team for countries/continents

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are average of top five Fargo Ratings for a variety of countries and continents.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 8.42.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 8.42.03 AM.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 349

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be interesting to see more like the top 10, because obviously it's not the exact top 5 that play in the Mosconi Cup. It's possible that some countries have more or less depth than others.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just go to https://fairmatch.fargorate.com

Example: From the graph, I figured Europe is 807 and USA is 795. In a race to 11, Europe has a 57.6% chance of winning.

The formulas leading to those percentages break down under a few circumstances.

First, they are meant for races to 11 of individual games, not races to 11 of races to 5.

Second, even for individual games, they break down in situations like this.

The "what is this player's chance from here" calculation would work fine if they were playing 10-ball on a tight table. But for 9-ball on a not-so-tough table, where there are a lot of runouts, don't believe this utility.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just go to https://fairmatch.fargorate.com

Example: From the graph, I figured Europe is 807 and USA is 795. In a race to 11, Europe has a 57.6% chance of winning.

If you treat it as a race to 55 (first to 11 individual race-to-5 matches), Europe becomes a 2-1 favorite, using those Fargo rate numbers. But last year, in getting to 11 matches, Europe won 68 games and the US won 47. So maybe you need to treat it as a race to something like 70, in which case Europe has close to a 70% chance of winning.

If you look at last year's teams, the avg US Fargo rating is 781, and the avg European Fargo rating is 796. (Those are the players' current averages.) So it was an even bigger difference. In fact, not a single individual European player had a score as low as the American average. It's pretty hard to win a race to 70 under those circumstances.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Big time kudos from me for Taiwan.....:bow-down:

China leads the way....with a population of 1.379 billion
Philippines are second with a population of 103 million...and change
Taiwan is the third best pool playing country......
...with a population of about 24 million...!!!!

Pound for pound, I like Taiwan

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, at least we're not at the bottom! USA, ALL THE WAY, baby! :cool:

Attachments

• 355965b1-d83e-4294-a6f8-19fb86f2df81-551125b9-c207-4385-ac56-22bd0dceb1fa-v1.png
    355965b1-d83e-4294-a6f8-19fb86f2df81-551125b9-c207-4385-ac56-22bd0dceb1fa-v1.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 183

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could pick any five of the top 50 Europeans with a pin and not one of the 14 US squad would have a remote chance of taking their place on the European team sheet.
Europe is awash with world class young players with new ones emerging with every tournament.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could pick any five of the top 50 Europeans with a pin and not one of the 14 US squad would have a remote chance of taking their place on the European team sheet.
Europe is awash with world class young players with new ones emerging with every tournament.

I think you're overstating the case on purpose to have some fun riling up JAM...

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Klenti is kind of easy on the eyes! :grin-loving: Look at those dimples, his strong arms, and, oh, does it play pool too?

Attachments

• kaci.jpg
    kaci.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 70