Is Elforyn The Best Ivory Substitute vs. Juma, LBM, Micarta, etc.?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
This thread got me curious. I had no idea what the ferrules of my Keith Josey were made of, so I picked up the phone. Mrs. Josey informed me that mine were most likely Linen Phenolic. Is this what you term LBM??? Hey, it's the best hit of any cue I've owned, so no complaints, no desire to change.

I also learned that they can still use ivory, but can't sell it out of Georgia.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
elforyn

Matt I can't speak for the elforyn but I did have a 2014 Murrell with juma and I love
It I really couldn't tell much difference.
I will also add that I was and still do love ivory joints, but if I was in your situation I would find some one with elforyn jointed cue and try it before I made a big purchase.

Personally I think you would adjust right to elforyn especially if it's a Herceck, happy hunting I hope you find what you want.

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to disagree with you, But I hear these things from people that haven't worked a lot of ivory before.

Nothing looks exactly like ivory, I can tell the difference between a raw piece of ivory and elforyn from arms length and can feel the difference with my hands. I don't think they look anything alike personally

I wouldn't say its easier or harder to work but its defiantly different. Remember we cue makers spend hundred of hours making cnc programs and they have to be changed for a bunch of variables and the material is one of them.

Its only great if you like the smell of coconuts.

Not one elephant will be saved by any of this nonsense. Elephant ivory is of no use to a cue maker or any craftsman until it has dried out. This can take 25 years or longer before a tusk is usable. Not all elephants are killed ether they die of natural causes too and its not like the ivory tusk just rots in a few days or weeks.
Hey Travis, this is off the subject, but are you going to be at the super billiards expo this year? If so we might have to flip a coin again;)
I purchased a cue from you last year at the expo, and we flipped a coin on the final price negotiation.

Travis Niklich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Travis, this is off the subject, but are you going to be at the super billiards expo this year? If so we might have to flip a coin again;)
I purchased a cue from you last year at the expo, and we flipped a coin on the final price negotiation.

PM sent

Yes I will be there. And look forward to seeing you and everyone else. If you see something you like I'm sure we can do something.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
baron hit it right on the head, the feel of elforyn is like a brittle......i wanna say plastic. its just not the same. I think ivory is over rated for its feel anyway, it dulls it.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Elforyn The Best Ivory Substitute vs. Juma, LBM, Micarta, etc.?

I posed this question to a friend that uses only ivory, he asked me if a goat was a good substitute for a woman!

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The Arvorin stuff from Perry at Cuefits as well as the Resin Ivory material available from Warther's is quite nice when polished out,but no info yet on durability.

Use HSS,don't take over .050 cuts and use FRESH sandpapers :wink:. Tommy D.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Arvorin stuff from Perry at Cuefits as well as the Resin Ivory material available from Warther's is quite nice when polished out,but no info yet on durability.

Use HSS,don't take over .050 cuts and use FRESH sandpapers :wink:. Tommy D.

Which one retains the dust. Elforyn does not.