Strickland back in USA top FIVE

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Largely due to Turning Stone a tournament in which jump cues are banned.

If jump cues were banned universally Earl never would have left the top 5.

There has always been some irony here. Even the full cue jump shot was very rare until two guys got pretty good at executing it. Their names were Earl Strickland and Sammy Jones. In the 1980's, they were definitely the players who did the most to popularize the jump shot in pool, and the emergence of the jump cue was an unintended and unexpected consequence of the growing popularity of the jump shot. By the mid-1990's, most pros carried a jump stick.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I'll set this shit straight, and just so all you a holes understand, I'll take Earl against #4 and every other degenerate rated lower than Earl's Fargo rate
Doesn't matter what country, the only thing that matters is the opponent is 1 fargo rate point below the loser Earl.
Get your bets in while you're mouth is still running. None of you big talkers are barred, get in the game and prove your big mouth is correct.

Bunch of knitting circle b&+@#=$

I’m not sure what the bet is here... is Earl good or bad in this scenario?

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, no secret that Earl has that special gear, but as he so rarely finds it in the big events, I wonder whether he really is top five. Obviously, when he finds his highest gear, he's US top two behind only Shane, but to me, quality is chiefly about winning matches, and Turning Stone aside, Earl hasn't been doing much of that in 2019.

Nonetheless, gotta give the man credit on a fine achievement. His determination and skill are still special.
I DO LISTEN TO THE VOICE OF REASON.
(few and far in-between lately)
Yes, Earl Strickland has been officially rated Top Five.

He just came out of the dark, how do you figure, he took Shane amd then Shane took him.
Are they taking turns Napping (wtf) :thumbup:

Attachments

• X X 0 X X.jpg
    X X 0 X X.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 315

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl

The slippery thing about greatness is it can be achieved in different ways. One player might be considered great because they are consistently among the best for many years (like Busty, Ralf, Niels) even if they were never considered absolutely the best in the world. Other players dominate for a couple of years then seem to cool off (Mike, Appleton). There are some players who got deep enough consistently enough to be ranked pretty well, there are others that were streaky and would win 3 tournaments in a row and then fail to cash for a handful of events. Who's to say which is better?

Earl is really special though. He was both explosive, consistent, and his dominance stretched over many years. When Earl was at his peak he was one of the greatest 9 ball players to ever play the game, and I believe he would be ranked in most people's personal top 5 historically for 9 ball.

Today there are two questions: 1) Can he play with today's elite, and 2) Can he control his emotions and deliver his performance.

I think Fargo Rate accurately explains both. He is around 790 WITH HIS DEMONS, so if that is indeed a leak in his game it is built in to that score. That means he might have the potential to play physically at a level around 805-810 but that he can only deliver 790 of it. Watching Earl play it's easy to be so spellbound by his pocketing that you overlook his air tight pattern play, amazing cue ball and speed control, strong intuitive kicking, and really great safety management. He really has elite knowledge.

The dangerous part about Earl is that while he is a 790, you never know what you're going to get. If he doesn't handle his emotions he can shoot like a 700, but the flip side is that he can flashback and play sets that would still be considered explosive and dominant. And when he can stay in that zone and put multiple of those sets back to back it can turn out pretty impressive results.

The sad part is he is on the inevitable downswing and he has fewer remaining opportunities to put a run like this together. Other 790s like Siming Chen who are consistent, young, and still building have their future ahead of them. Earl knows his brightest accomplishments are behind him, and that's a heck of a hard loss to grieve. For someone who has devoted their entire self to the game and played at the absolute highest level it has to be really, really hard to see it go. Maybe that has something to do with why he isn't as resilient, he isn't just frustrated with a miss or a lucky shot by the opponent, he is dealing with the heartbreak that he doesn't play like he once did.

But maybe he had a moment of clarity and realized he didn't have time left to grieve, and something inside of him demanded he put that aside and deliver one last great performance. And he sure did! I am so happy he had this experience, whatever baggage the man has I wish him his moment of content.

Maybe he has a few of these left, maybe that was the last hurrah, it's hard to know. All I know is I will enjoy it for what it was. A stunning performance that was a self-tribute to one of the greatest and most historical players in our game. GG Earl.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yes, it must be extremely difficult to start loosing your magic. Especially for someone like Earl who is so passionate and did seem to dedicate his entire existence to being a pool player.

My top level of play is nothing like Earl speed but when I hit a slump I am devastated and it leaks into every aspect of my life, I can only imagine what it’s like for someone like him. It’s no wonder he’s tried so many things to stay up :) I too am very glad he played like he did, it must’ve felt great for him and I definitely enjoyed watching.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
But maybe he had a moment of clarity and realized he didn't have time left to grieve, and something inside of him demanded he put that aside and deliver one last great performance. And he sure did! I am so happy he had this experience, whatever baggage the man has I wish him his moment of content.

Maybe he has a few of these left, maybe that was the last hurrah, it's hard to know. All I know is I will enjoy it for what it was. A stunning performance that was a self-tribute to one of the greatest and most historical players in our game. GG Earl.

Amen, brother. Well said.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great piece by Tin Man. Reminds me of the baseball movie For the Love of the Game.