Everyone is against production-made cues?

Fast Davie NC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember... back in the 80's, all the top players played with Joss, Meucci. Mcdermott, Schon, Huebler. I play with a joss butt to this day! This is very consistent, compared to other "Custom Cues" in my collection. Would you rather know what you are getting? Or spend a lot of money on something that you don't know how it plays? You Might eventually sell it or put on the furniture piece? This doesn't make since for my money! Granted there are alot of great cue-makers "Out-There". I would rather play the game with something comftorable and gamble on the rest!!!

Fast Davie NC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rember Robert Weir Cues or Richard Black? Im sure everyone remembers these from a long time ago! Micarta ferrules and joints were big in this "ERA". I still have my Mcdermott D-11, Meucci-David Howard, Mike Sigel-Captain Hook, Earl Strickland-Proto-Type, Jim rempe Cues

rellek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I personally have nothing against playing with production cues, lord knows I did it for a while. I actually went the custom route because I could get much better cues than the production models that I was looking at, aesthetically, performance-wise, and most importantly price-wise. I still have a Joss that I use from time to time that I really like.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Fast Davie NC said:
Rember Robert Weir Cues or Richard Black? Im sure everyone remembers these from a long time ago! Micarta ferrules and joints were big in this "ERA". I still have my Mcdermott D-11, Meucci-David Howard, Mike Sigel-Captain Hook, Earl Strickland-Proto-Type, Jim rempe Cues

Rember Robert Weir Cues

You mean Helmstetter cues, because that is built them Mr. Weir, he was just a dishonest individual who marketed them as his. They were however, nice cues by the way, I just sold a few I had for years to a collector

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would also tend to believe that the majority of what we consider 'production' cue makers today started out doing what custom cue makers today do thus resulting in a much better product than what they're putting out today. Back when Dan and Bill started with Joss Cues, the way that they made and marketed their cues is pretty much the same way that custom cue makers make and market their cues today. In that I mean most likely taking a lot more time in each individual cue during the material selection process as well as the building process. They also spent much more time dealing directly with the customer during the making process.
I think this is the same for many of the production cues of today. Which is why a Joss, a Meucci, and even a Viking back then was probably a better cue, and comparable to a custom cue of today when it comes to one on one customer service, material selection, and man hours. Today however, many of the production cues are made overseas, and often by one of a handfull of the same operations. Which means that if you take into consideration the numbers of cues that come out of any given production plant, it is literally impossible to be as selective with materials (shaft wood) as these companies likely used to be, and it's also unlikely that the same TLC goes into each individual cue during the production process as it did in the past.
That being said, the best hitting/playing cue I have ever had the pleasure of laying my hands on was a Lucasi with a 314 on it that I friend of mine owns. Complete with the plastic inlays and all!! This one particular cue just did everything right!!
dave

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Tokyo-dave said:
That being said, the best hitting/playing cue I have ever had the pleasure of laying my hands on was a Lucasi with a 314 on it that I friend of mine owns. Complete with the plastic inlays and all!! This one particular cue just did everything right!!
dave

Funny how that happens from time to time....I have a buddy who has a Mexican made strat (Fender) that is the best playing guitar I've ever tried (including CUSTOM SHOP ones that cost 10X what his did). I know the guitar reference won't fit with most of the readers, but I'm sure there are production cues out there that would knock your socks off if only you could find "the one". BTW, one day I will break into his house and steal it since I know he'll never give that sucker up LOL J/K of course, or am I???!!! :p

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Production or custom

I like all cues production or custom. I do prefer more traditional look with sharp points and also the exotic wood selections that you get from certain custom cue builders, and so many production cues are CNC. There is also a lot of high grade shaft wood used by custom cue builders, although the old Joss & Schon shafts were very good. jmo

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My wife has an early 90's cheap Meucci (European Series E-1) that plays so well it is ridiculous. I have put it in the hands of a few true pool cue snobs, and they are just as head over heals for this cue as I am. Of course it is bright purple (God really does have a sense of humor), or else it would be mine. :)

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Production cue are great. I usually recommend someone starts out with something like a McDermott, Joss, or Schon.

A lot of us just are hit with the custom cue bug and can't resist having a certain hit or exotic wood or custom inlay. There is something about buying a custom cue that has been made by hand with ever attention to detail that you just can't ever get with a mass produced cue.

There is also a sense of pride that we get by having something of our own cue that noone else can just go out and buy. It appeals to the individualistic side of us; that is, a way to seperate ourselves from everyone else.

That being said, production cues get the job done just as good as customs, but, overall, quality is at a much higher level in a custom cue than a production cue.

Last edited:

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nothing wrong with a production cue, especially from the 80's when wood was much better than today. I've got Meucci's and McDermott's and they hit great. I have to give it up to the cuemakers of today, though. With wood that is nowhere near as good as in those old days, they have found a way to excel. But yes, I still love pulling out my old D-16.

tim

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
There is a famous quote in shooting circles:

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" ~ Colonel Townsend Wheelen

I guess for many here it would be:

"Only custom/rare/old cues are interesting"

I happen to agree. Plastic inlays and round points just don't blow my hair back. They all will make balls but there is something about a nice custom that just makes you feel good. :D To me most of the McDermott D line and the old Schons have as much or more appeal than many of the custom cues being made today. But production was a little different back then I think.

That is not to say all custom cues are good because they are custom. There is a lot of bad wood out there. Play with what you like and enjoy it. Everything else is noise.

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A couple years ago, I saw two inlaid eye catchers in a pawn shop when I was out looking for a cheap backup lcd monitor. I walked over and there was the word Schon on one and nothing printed on the other, but I could tell it was extremely well made, but not quite sure by whom. The prices caused me to get lock fist once I got my hands on them. Total price for the two was $55.
As soon as I got back to the pool room, I hit some balls with the Schon and with the help of a friend, found it a new deserving home for $400. Then I started looking the unmarked one over real close and saw ""Custom Shop Nov 1981" inscribed on the butt bottom. It was a personally built Huebler cue and it eventually was sold to a Huebler collector for about $600. I spoke with Paul and one of his employees over the phone and was told that Paul would go out hunting the shaft wood bins for the perfect piece of wood to make the shafts for his customs. Some times he would take the better part of a day to find the right wood. Apparently he spent a month looking for the wood for this cue. The shaft and butt were so absolutely laser straight that the term "roll-out" did not come anywhere to mind. The absolute straightest cue I have ever had my hands on. The cue played as good as it looked. For years I snikered at Hueblers. Not anymore.

Last edited:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
I played with a Meucci MO-7 for a LONG time, and I probably played some of my best pool with it. Now, though, I prefer the individual craftsmanship and quality control that you get with a custom cue.

Joe

Kyotee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast Davie NC said:

I still have and play with My old McD D-9... Received the thing as a gift like 10-15 years ago... Shaft has got a little roll in it these days... been debating replacing it with an ob1 or predator shaft :p

Last edited:

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
i believe alot of pro's played with the production cues because thats who paid the bills.... back then the production cue companies had all the extra money...

chris

bigpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few cues . My fav cue is my NOVA cue man it hitts awsome IMO. It was a higher end production cue.They are getting harder to find.:thumbup:

Jiayi345

Cajun Asian.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I played with a schon black widow for years and to this day would still be my playing cue if it wasn't stolen a few weeks ago. I like the way customs look (unique) although the way they play to me is much more important.

-J Chao