Best Pool Hall Fight!

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone please tell a good story about a fight they once witnessed? I spent a lot of years growing up in local pool halls but they were all in the suburbs so there was little trouble to be had. Little gambling + no alchohol = no fights.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was 8 yrs. old...

I lived down the street from a girl (Amber) my age(8) and her Mom would babysit my younger brother and I on occasion. Her parents owned a small bar with a couple of barboxes in it and one night we went up to the place while we were being babysat. This was the first time I had ever played pool BTW. My brother, Amber, and I were banging away when a fight broke out between two drunks. Amber's dad, besides being the owner of the place, was the bartender and bouncer too. So when the beer bottles started breaking he jumped in and yelled to us to get underneath the table. We did. There were people whooping ass all over the place. He finally got them seperated and one of them went to his truck and came back with a gun. Ever been in a room during a drunken gunfight? Not fun. Only one guy was shot (he lived). This was my introduction to pool (and the Houston Police Dept). BTW, the table survived with a gunshot to the slate. Needless to say, my mother didn't let them babysit for her anymore. lol:D

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Njhustler1 said:
Can someone please tell a good story about a fight they once witnessed? I spent a lot of years growing up in local pool halls but they were all in the suburbs so there was little trouble to be had. Little gambling + no alchohol = no fights.

I really have not been in many pool room fights, but I do have one story. It wasn't much of a fight really, but there was a real interesting outcome that always stuck with me.

I am in this small bar/pool room shooting one night. There is one particular 3/4 drunk fellow lounging around the bar area sort of up to no good. :cool:

He makes a move to put something in his pocket (an item from the bar, can't remember what for sure) and the owner behind the bar catches him before he does it and has a few choice words for him. The guy gets up and moves away and sits somewhere else. After another minute he picks up a salt shaker or something and puts it in his pocket. The owner starts yelling colorful language and all, grabs a black jack/billy club from behind the counter and starts to walk around from the bar. Threatening to take a swing from across the bar but can't reach the guy. :mad:

About this time the guy starts headed for the door. A few people sort of try to convince him to leave quickly. The owner was known to get lit up some himself and was probably half mad drunk himself. He might have beat the guy up pretty bad over the salt shaker. The drunk guy swings once or twice, the owner is threatening but is sort of held back by a few people, the group makes it outside. The brave chap I am, I'm behind everyone at a safe distance looking over people's shoulders. :rolleyes:

The group make it outside, the owner is calmed down some, but the drunk guy is now mad, he half wants to fight, everyone is trying to get him to just leave telling him to chill out. After another swing or two, one local player steps in and is calming him down telling him just to relax. The guy relaxes for a half second, and then the local player suddenly gets behind him and puts him in a sleeper hold. The drunk guy is flailing his arms wildly, quite helpless I might add, :confused:
like what the hell is happening? It was sort of funny to watch at that point. :p

The drunk guy passes out, the player gently lays him down in the grass for him to sleep it off, then he walks back in and starts shooting pool again...
:D
Kelly

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am about 22, working in a pool hall that is 365, 24/7, so there is no lock on the door. There is a guy that has been coming around avery week or so, loosing his $100-$400 every time. I find out later that he is a PCP smoker. He is playing someone and loosing, when he gets bumped by a smallish asian guy. PCP flips out an grabs smallish, smallish falls to the ground, twists away and rolls under the yable, pops up on the other side. Screams at PCP, something like 'what you problem, I kick you a$$' and PCP goes after him with a stick. There are lots of us around and PCP mellow for a second. Everyone back to games- next thing you know there is a loud smack, I turn around and smallish is looking down, PCP is on the floor, getting up with blood coming off his face. Smallish says 'you MFer and kicks out the table light, coming to rest, standing, on the table. PCP grabs a stick and goes after him again. About 6 of us grab PCP, take the stick away, and push him out the door. Remember, ther is no lock on the door, so another guy and I are leaned up against the door for 30min+ while PCP tries to get back in. Crazy times...not one person said 'time off' while we were at the door either:D

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
This pool hall I grew up in had a group of hell raising rednecks that played on the bangers side of the hall. One of them was this guy named Woody. This guy was always in the middle of the trouble and he was not afraid of pain thats for sure. By the time I knew him, he had already been shot and stabbed a few times.

One night we are all sitting around and the "how old are you" topic came up. Woody lived a hard life and it showed, he looked 40 but was in his early 20s. Later that week we found Woody lying in the grass outside of the bar next door to the pool hall at 2AM . He had been in a fight and was KTFO.

Woody ended up six feet under before he was 30 I think. Voodoo Daddy can probably remember some details on this guy. Sorry no gory fight details, but this topic made me think of this guy.

2wld4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can tell you about a WWF match between myself and a crackhead....

The guy and his sister walked in during one of my practice sessions at a local hall, and I was filming the session, (whitch I always do). They were playing on a 7' bar box in the back, they played for 15 min or so, when this fellow walked up to me and said, she can beat you! I said hey! ok, and continued to practice, well here he came again, "ill bet 50$ she can beat you!" this guy is really pickled, so I refuse, no thanks... The third time, he walks up to me, I'll bet a 100! well, being he had already interfered with my practice and hey it was a 100 bucks, I said ok.. I broke, ran out, and took the money... everything was fine, for a minute or two, then he walked up to me again, I'll kick your ass... you cheated... I said I cheated? how? he said you hustled me and my sister, and I want my money or I'll kick your ass.... The owner and good friend of mine said, take it outside, so I did, But first, he had to use the potty... I waited for a few minutes and walked back inside, and he came running out LETS GO! so I was walking toward the door, he had already slammed the door shut, and then he shuved it open (I suppose trying to hit me with it) well for some reason the owner grabbed me, held both arms and this guy was swinging away, nearly hit me once I believe, I grabbed the owner slung him out of the way and hit him, he landed on his behind out the door, I figured I had knocked him cold, I walked up beside him and he grabbed me good. (where it counts) I suppose it was adrenaline, I threw him over my shoulder into a truck parked close by. This time I shirt colored him and stroked him a few extra times for the grabbing, he was out cold, but not down for the count, this guy just kept comming, I must have knocked him out three or four times, then I felt a sharp blow to my back, right in the middle of my shoulder blades, his sister whacked me with a cue! good golly that hurt, and I took what was left of the cue and chased her away, then this guy gets me in a choke hold from behind, and I flipped him over my shoulder again, this time I hit him proboly ten times or more, and I made him say he was sorry and that the fight was over. he kept his word and Im glad, with a bruised lung and a broke finger I was ready to call it quits, and this guy never hit me, not once, but I felt like I was beat to peices, I was scared, when you hit someone like I hit this fellow, and they keep comming, its scary..

come to find out this guy was on crack, a friend told me I could have hit him square in the face with a shovel and he would have kept comming, all I can say is I could feel bones breaking and this guy kept comming after me.. needless to say I dont frequent that place anylonger, and the owner is no longer my friend.. I cant help but to wonder if he didnt set it up...

So I choose my friends wisely, you never know when someone seeks revenge or somekind of payback on you, to this day other than what was said I have no idea why that guy chose me, if he would have showed an ounce of dignity I would have given the 100 back, I didnt need thier money, and I certainly didnt need a fight..

2wld4u

Blue_Suede

Blue Suede UK
Silver Member
Taught me to watch my back...

I was in the States on business, and happened to be in a small bar in Meridian, MS. My friends & I were playing on the only table in the place and as I played a little, I was winning.

Seems that somebody was watching me as after about an hour, some guy comes up to me and asks if I want to play for $5 a rack. So I says 'sure' I'll play for that. After 3 racks at DOQ I'm $20 up and shooting at the 8-ball. I call the 8 into the side (cross-bank) and make the shot, but my opponent claims that the local rules are to call the whole shot - ie. the bank, and that I've lost the game. So, I'm not a local and I don't back down, at which point 4 (Big!) guys stand up and tell me "You've lost the game buddy".

OK... I think. "You wanna play for $50 a rack?" I ask the guy - now that I know the 'local' rules. He suggests $30 but I push for $50 and he accepts (after conferring with the big guys).

I end up taking $400 off the guy and by this time my friends are wanting to head back to the hotel. After asking the girl at the bar to call us a taxi, we head outside.

About 30 seconds later, a pick-up truck screams into the car park and the driver shouts at us to get in. I ask him why and he says "Don't ask any questions, just get in!"

Turns out, that the 4 Big Guys were the local heavies and that our saviour had got a tip-off from somebody in the bar that I was about to get shot/knifed/beaten up etc... if we hadn't gotten out at that point.

Didn't go back the next night.

Probably just as well.

Small towns, eh? Wish I'd known. I'm good in a fight. :)

BS

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Njhustler1 said:

The only fight I had ever seen in a pool hall was in Edison,NJ.The pool hall is off route 1.It was a brawl.They beat each other up with sticks and chairs.Three guys on each side.Funny thing was that after all that I did not see a single drop of blood.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Blue_Suede said:
Turns out, that the 4 Big Guys were the local heavies and that our saviour had got a tip-off from somebody in the bar that I was about to get shot/knifed/beaten up etc... if we hadn't gotten out at that point.
And in other news, we hear people complaining that movies like Shooting Gallery wrongfully depicts pool players as violent thugs. Hmmm...

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
At Hard Times, Bellflower.
A gang of punks against HT's Samoan bouncer.
The bouncer almost killed them all.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
LOL i love to hear stories like that

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:

Must be something about those Samoan bouncers....I had a Samoan friend named Andre, bouncer at a pool hall I frequented when I lived in NC. Two guys got beating up on each other and Andre stepped in and asked to take it outside. They took offence at him and jumped him....big mistake. He threw one over a 9' table like he was a raggedy ann doll and proceeded to kick the living crap out of both of them, then called the cops and had them hauled away. Andre is about 5'8", an easy 275 lbs with probably 38" thighs, and his biceps weren't much smaller.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Bamacues said:
Andre is about 5'8", an easy 275 lbs with probably 38" thighs, and his biceps weren't much smaller.

You would think someone fitting that description working as a bouncer would not have to work hard to convince folks to do it his way. Social Darwinism strikes again I guess.

Good stories here...keep em coming :)

1-pocket-player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the my home room(The Ritz) a guy got beat so bad his friend had to drag him out unconscious. It was between four Mexicans and two Argentinians. Another time there was a fight between a Vietnamese street gang and a Mexican gang one of the Mexicans got his testicles shot off. There was a bullet hole in the front door for 3 months.

A Polynesian friend of mine was gambling with a 6'+ road player who was down a lot. The road player started giving him shit and I turned around at one point and heard very loud slap and he was on the ground with blood coming out of his nose and ears.

Another friend of mine got hit in the face with a bag full of video tapes at the Cushion and Cue. He then tackled him and really let the guy have it. A guy also got stabbed with a pencil by this crazy dude there.

And 6 or 7 months ago a guy got beaten to death outside of EO's

Utah is more dangerous than people think. It used to be the meth capitol of the country.

-Andy

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
vagabond said:
The only fight I had ever seen in a pool hall was in Edison,NJ.The pool hall is off route 1.It was a brawl.They beat each other up with sticks and chairs.Three guys on each side.Funny thing was that after all that I did not see a single drop of blood.

Oh! a slow night at B&L Billiards>

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During a 9 ball tournament one weekend at my local hall this older guy waas talking smack to the younger guy, who works there and runs the tournament, about the format. Mostly because he got beat out and he don't like the kid. This older guy spent time in the slammer for different things and is still a punk. Anyway, the younger guy got tired of hearing is jaw and the low-cursing-mumbling tone he was using to other patrons about him. So he says if you got a problem with it don't play anymore or if you have a problem with me come on over. So old guy grabs the butt of his cue heads on over to young guy abehind the counter. Young guy meets him at the end of the counter and they both start swinging. I was shocked! Both of them had been talking it up for so long that I didn't think they either one was going to do anything. Young guy blocks the swing with his forearm (ouch!) and grabs a pop bottle. The old guy swings the butt of his cue and breaks the bottle. Glass is all over the place. Then they stop and young guy starts cleaning up the mess. It was hilarious!!

Just a month ago or so the town drunk came in the pool hall. He hadn't been i there in years 'cause the owner had barred him out for life. Now this town drunk is not just any town drunk. He is about 40 and has more god given artistic ability than anyone I have ever known. His father has wood carvings in the Smithsonian Institute. Anyway, TD has been talking crazy about everything from the government to religion. Finally after asking the TD to calm down several times to no avail he calls the owner. Owner comes in furious and smacks TD 4 or 5 times in the head. TD had no idea that he was coming and his back was to the door when the owner came in. Caught completely by surprise. Owner smacks all the while dragging from behind the counter that seperates the tables from the restaurant part. Throws his a** out the door and into my dad's pickup. Dad's getting pissed!!:mad: But lets it go. Owner proceeds to mop the street with TD and gives him a good talking to. And the best part is he takes TD home! Don't love a happy ending? :)

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
1-pocket-player said:
At the my home room(The Ritz) a guy got beat so bad his friend had to drag him out unconscious. It was between four Mexicans and two Argentinians. Another time there was a fight between a Vietnamese street gang and a Mexican gang one of the Mexicans got his testicles shot off. There was a bullet hole in the front door for 3 months.

A Polynesian friend of mine was gambling with a 6'+ road player who was down a lot. The road player started giving him shit and I turned around at one point and heard very loud slap and he was on the ground with blood coming out of his nose and ears.

Another friend of mine got hit in the face with a bag full of video tapes at the Cushion and Cue. He then tackled him and really let the guy have it. A guy also got stabbed with a pencil by this crazy dude there.

And 6 or 7 months ago a guy got beaten to death outside of EO's

Utah is more dangerous than people think. It used to be the meth capitol of the country.

-Andy

andy,,,you're from utah? was your polynesian friend samoan:):):)? if so,,,that dumb *ss road player learned a valuable lesson about dealing with "local boys", and samoans in particular.

pillage6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the International Club in Rosemead Ca. I saw a pretty brutal fight when it was open. This guy "Tony" was basically a whirling tornado of flailing fists and resembled the Tasmanian devil quite a bit.

It seems that a thin, young, wife-beater clad opposing Chinese gang member was there and talking sh!t to "Tony" outside. The kid came inside and was talking to his friends when he was rushed by Tony. Even though the kid's friends were standing right there they did nothing to help him, Tony was on him like a cheap suit. It took 6 people to pull him off of the kid, he was red in the face, spittle flying and was the true definition of "bezerk". It was scary to say the least.

The kid was unconscious for the half hour that it took the paramedics to show up, there was blood coming from his head and who knows if he even survived. That was not the only time there was a fight there and I heard there were a couple of shootings even, I am just happy there weren't any gunshots that night.