Stories Of Players That Made Good $ W/O Pool

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
How about some upbeat stories of top tier American players that got out of pool rat race or just do it part time and are successful at doing something else. When I say successful I mean make a decent living (50K or more) W/O counting any pool money they still make, like CJ, the APA guys. JT

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about some upbeat stories of top tier American players that got out of pool rat race or just do it part time and are successful at doing something else. When I say successful I mean make a decent living (50K or more) W/O counting any pool money they still make, like CJ, the APA guys. JT

I'm curious also. I'd be surprised if there are any active professional pool players that have a day job making $50,000+/year.

Jpowell7575

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious also. I'd be surprised if there are any active professional pool players that have a day job making $50,000+/year.

I don't know what kind of cash donny mills makes, and it's not anyone's business on here, but he's certainly a really good player and holds down a good job as a car salesman.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what kind of cash donny mills makes, and it's not anyone's business on here, but he's certainly a really good player and holds down a good job as a car salesman.

Considering it's his dealership, probably more than $50k/year, but I agree that it's not our business. I'm with Johnny though, it's not so much about the money, we are curious if there are professionals that don't grind everyday like Shane and are still "in the money".

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder wht the love of my pool life, Sarah ellerby is up to?

George Breedlove too, not love there though:eek:

nicksaint26

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Poker

Poker is the only thing I can think of where I have seen pro's leave pool and not only make 50k but a lot more.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Think Dick Lane was a real good 14.1 man at one time , and was a partner in the Click's franchise i think , he had an education also .Bob Vanover comes to mind. Since you mentioned CJ , i don't think he graduated from high school so his success in business is a pretty good achievement. Noticed CJ is now sporting a chrome dome:smile:.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

Yes, I would consider Donny one and you're right, it's no ones biz. JT

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
monster miners

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada is a very interesting place, they have a huge nickel mine there and host a big snooker tournament each year. a world snooker champ lives there as well as 4 or 5 monster players that love to gamble. Working full time in a mine making $100.000 a year and still play real good, head up there sometime but be ready to play , I know they can!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lots of players have pool rooms, that is probably the best fit for playing and working. As for as holding a full time job and all that goes along with that. Can't really see it. The player may play good working full time but not near their real potential. You can't do both really.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't think of his name but he was coming up at about the same time as Hopkins in N.J. I think he made
good money when he quit pool and went (I think) it was into the vending business. Jay would know.

mikefingers

Registered
Lots of players have pool rooms, that is probably the best fit for playing and working. As for as holding a full time job and all that goes along with that. Can't really see it. The player may play good working full time but not near their real potential. You can't do both really.

I agree 1000%!! I work full time as a UPS driver, I make around $70k, and would not give it up for anything(think pension!!!) I doubt I will every reach my potential for playing pool but I have been know to beat some of the greats when I get into stroke!!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can't think of his name but he was coming up at about the same time as Hopkins in N.J. I think he made
good money when he quit pool and went (I think) it was into the vending business. Jay would know.

You're talking about Petey Margo. He got rich in the video rental biz. Luc Salvas owns two of the largest poolrooms in Canada. Hopkins has done better than okay with his Super Billiard Expo. Sammy Jones made out all right in poolrooms and billiard supplies. Danny Janes and Billy Stroud got rich making cues. Sigel got rich meeting Trudough!

I made far more money owning poolrooms than I ever did playing in them, or running tournaments for that matter. My last room brought in 30K a month, 50% profit. Not rich by any means but a livable wage. :D

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
nothing's as good as "pool school" - 'The Game is the Teacher'

Think Dick Lane was a real good 14.1 man at one time , and was a partner in the Click's franchise i think , he had an education also .Bob Vanover comes to mind. Since you mentioned CJ , i don't think he graduated from high school so his success in business is a pretty good achievement. Noticed CJ is now sporting a chrome dome:smile:.

I actually did graduate from high school and went on to further my education in several areas......although nothing's as good as "pool school" - 'The Game is the Teacher'

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
How could people neglect to mention Weenie Beenie?

Bill Staton had a chain of successful hot dog stands.