Getting Pool on the Right Track

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you suggest is good but I think you are wrong on the equipment not being as important as rules, very wrong!

What if all basketball courts are different lengths, widths etc...etc..?

Are there regulations for golf equipment?

Football? Some goal post are smaller, some bigger? Nope!

I understand pool is not basketball, football etc.... does that mean it can never be organized the same?

It would be so much easier to "rate" all players if they are all playing zone very similar equipment. Do you not think so?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
What you suggest is good but I think you are wrong on the equipment not being as important as rules, very wrong!

I understand pool is not basketball, football etc.... does that mean it can never be organized the same?

It would be so much easier to "rate" all players if they are all playing zone very similar equipment. Do you not think so?

Funny you mentioned golf on one line and different lengths on another :shrug:
Jason

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

One of the main things I would like to see is a little bit more refinement of the fairmatch site.. Top 100 state lists... More intuitive search functionality... The ability to view individual match results on a per-player basis...

Basically, I'd like to see all the same things that the U.S. Chess Federation shows when looking at player ratings: You can see the tournaments a player has played in, which opponents the player played in that event.. How everyone else in the event did... How many ratings points were earned by individual players in an individual event, etc.

One thing I remember from when I was a 20 year old player.. My local pool hall in Tacoma had the names of the top three finishers for the weekly 9 ball tourney put up on butcher paper that eventually occupied something like 20 feet of wall space. Those names did more than anything else to get me to practice and to try to get my name up there on the list.

Instituting the same thing with Fargorate might do quite a bit to get more people playing and practicing harder. As it is now, a Fargorate rating is pretty cool, but where is the incentive to push your individual rating higher? Chess players will play multiple tournaments per week just for the chance at a few ratings points. That dynamic is currently missing with Fargorate. We need some sort of app that would allow us to run our own tournaments, and inject those results into the Fargorate database. This is how the USCF does it, and it works great. Another thing it does is allow the addle-brained amongst us to recall the players from a certain geographic area that we might have played in years ago. You just go and look up the tourneys you played there, and then you can jump on to an individual player's record and see how they are hitting them lately.. As it stands now, the only method I have of doing this is to check the player's name in the AZBilliards people finder, or to try to find the regional pool magazine and got through it, month by month. Not every efficient.

And, it would be REALLY interesting to see how Fargorate performs if a tourney director tried running a pool tournament under a "Swiss" system, like chess. Fargorate has an "expected" performance that corresponds to rating level versus a better/worse player, and a player wins/loses ratings points depending on how they do against the individuals in the Swiss pairings. I could see people getting into this and holding a lot of regular, but smaller events, just like chess clubs do all over America.Throw in a $5.00 fee for every rated event, and you have an income source to use to pay for server upgrades/etc. The model is pretty much there with chess. Pool just needs the basic building blocks in place - app to hold tournaments, fee system in place for rated tourneys, etc..

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny you mentioned golf on one line and different lengths on another :shrug:
Jason

Look, it's not far fetched to want standardized tables.

Is there a weight limit on break cues? .... yes it is.

Is there a minimum length on jump cues?..... yes it is.

Not complicated to figure it out. Sure, a costly endeavor for some but it would still be nice to know all tables had certain "guidelines"..... other than just having 6 holes or str8 rails...

I hear people say "he/she ran "x" number of racks"..... lol.... and then find out it was on a toy table with 5.5 inch pockets.

That same person would then compare that "run" to another run on a table that is 2 feet longer and 4.25 inch pockets....

If you don't see my point, oh well..... you may be one of the people I've overheard talking.....

I hope not,

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the main things I would like to see is a little bit more refinement of the fairmatch site.. Top 100 state lists... More intuitive search functionality... The ability to view individual match results on a per-player basis...

Basically, I'd like to see all the same things that the U.S. Chess Federation shows when looking at player ratings: You can see the tournaments a player has played in, which opponents the player played in that event.. How everyone else in the event did... How many ratings points were earned by individual players in an individual event, etc.

One thing I remember from when I was a 20 year old player.. My local pool hall in Tacoma had the names of the top three finishers for the weekly 9 ball tourney put up on butcher paper that eventually occupied something like 20 feet of wall space. Those names did more than anything else to get me to practice and to try to get my name up there on the list.

Instituting the same thing with Fargorate might do quite a bit to get more people playing and practicing harder. As it is now, a Fargorate rating is pretty cool, but where is the incentive to push your individual rating higher? Chess players will play multiple tournaments per week just for the chance at a few ratings points. That dynamic is currently missing with Fargorate. We need some sort of app that would allow us to run our own tournaments, and inject those results into the Fargorate database. This is how the USCF does it, and it works great. Another thing it does is allow the addle-brained amongst us to recall the players from a certain geographic area that we might have played in years ago. You just go and look up the tourneys you played there, and then you can jump on to an individual player's record and see how they are hitting them lately.. As it stands now, the only method I have of doing this is to check the player's name in the AZBilliards people finder, or to try to find the regional pool magazine and got through it, month by month. Not every efficient.

And, it would be REALLY interesting to see how Fargorate performs if a tourney director tried running a pool tournament under a "Swiss" system, like chess. Fargorate has an "expected" performance that corresponds to rating level versus a better/worse player, and a player wins/loses ratings points depending on how they do against the individuals in the Swiss pairings. I could see people getting into this and holding a lot of regular, but smaller events, just like chess clubs do all over America.Throw in a $5.00 fee for every rated event, and you have an income source to use to pay for server upgrades/etc. The model is pretty much there with chess. Pool just needs the basic building blocks in place - app to hold tournaments, fee system in place for rated tourneys, etc..

Stop trying to use common sense. Someone will take it away from you and beat you with it....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Golf is based on medal play usually...so a score is dependant somewhat on course ratings.
...if it was all match play, the course rating is not nearly as relevant...
...same as pool....tight, loose, big, small....I’ll bet on the best FargoRate.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Russsssss???

Russss!!!!! Holy Toledo, You came back! I even gave you green points for coming back!

To stay on Topic:

Fargo rating is cool, but, last time I checked pool is pretty darn AWESOME!

Everyone thinks they have the answer to "getting pool on the right track"

Pool is growing into a sport. It takes time. Pool being included in the Olympics will set standards that will be at the highest they can be. Everything else will trickle down over time, Just my opinion.

Trent from Toledo

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Look, it's not far fetched to want standardized tables.

Is there a weight limit on break cues? .... yes it is.

Is there a minimum length on jump cues?..... yes it is.

Not complicated to figure it out. Sure, a costly endeavor for some but it would still be nice to know all tables had certain "guidelines"..... other than just having 6 holes or str8 rails...

I hear people say "he/she ran "x" number of racks"..... lol.... and then find out it was on a toy table with 5.5 inch pockets.

That same person would then compare that "run" to another run on a table that is 2 feet longer and 4.25 inch pockets....

If you don't see my point, oh well..... you may be one of the people I've overheard talking.....

I hope not,

Rake

Considering I have a 10'er with 4 1/8 pockets, probably not. Lol

9'ers are NEVER gonna happen in bars, all Diamonds are NEVER gonna happen anywhere, all Diamonds with the same size pockets are NEVER going to happen, all Diamonds with the same Cloth is NEVER going to happen.

If this was for a Pro Tour, then I could easily agree that it should be a requirement.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea(I wish they were all the same) it's just never going to happen.
Jason

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I didn't say equipment is not as important as rules.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering I have a 10'er with 4 1/8 pockets, probably not. Lol

9'ers are NEVER gonna happen in bars, all Diamonds are NEVER gonna happen anywhere, all Diamonds with the same size pockets are NEVER going to happen, all Diamonds with the same Cloth is NEVER going to happen.

If this was for a Pro Tour, then I could easily agree that it should be a requirement.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea(I wish they were all the same) it's just never going to happen.
Jason

So, I see we are in agreement.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike,

It allows growth to occur where growth wants to occur.
And that is what has been missing in pool.

Has something changed in the last few weeks or so?
Is there a way or what are the ways to populate the system with accurate/bonified game/match info?
thanks

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused. Is this to make amateur pool better or make the pro scene better?

If it's the former, there are enough people doing a good job as it is. If it's the latter, like I've said before, it's easy to fix but noone wants to do it.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm confused. Is this to make amateur pool better or make the pro scene better?

If it's the former, there are enough people doing a good job as it is. If it's the latter, like I've said before, it's easy to fix but noone wants to do it.
It's never been claimed as a panacea for either, but I think it does help both. Just two examples off the top of my head: For amateurs playing in handicapped tournaments if everyone has a fargo number then you don't have to rely on someone's subjective opinion about how guys play. For pros it effectively establishes a world ranking system that doesn't rely on the players all playing in far flung events all over the world. Also in theory it coukd establish a baseline of who could be considered a "pro", and at the very least shows us where the tiers of the world's top players are at and who is on which tier.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Golf is based on medal play usually...so a score is dependant somewhat on course ratings.
...if it was all match play, the course rating is not nearly as relevant...
...same as pool....tight, loose, big, small....I’ll bet on the best FargoRate.

If you bet on fargo rates alone on the last 16 matches of the world 9b championships, you'd have booked a loser. According to fargo rates, SVB should have won the title.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you bet on fargo rates alone on the last 16 matches of the world 9b championships, you'd have booked a loser. According to fargo rates, SVB should have won the title.
No, according to the probabilities predicted by the ratings, he had a reasonable chance to win, but it was fairly unlikely. You don't have to play too many matches as a 70% favorite before you lose one and are out in a single elimination format.

Now, if they had played races to 1000 each match, his odds of winning would have been better.

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, according to the probabilities predicted by the ratings, he had a reasonable chance to win, but it was fairly unlikely. You don't have to play too many matches as a 70% favorite before you lose one and are out in a single elimination format.

Now, if they had played races to 1000 each match, his odds of winning would have been better.

We actually did this calculation. FargoRate predicted SVB had an 86% chance of losing.