Strickland back in USA top FIVE

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Earl sez “Why the surprise?....I’m America’s greatest athlete.

4651B4F5-5BEC-4C09-B43F-E04567EDFEED.jpeg

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Watching him play at Turning Stone, you could see that he was firing on all cylinders. It was nice to see him playing so well.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching him play at Turning Stone, you could see that he was firing on all cylinders. It was nice to see him playing so well.

I love Earl. Glad to see him without all those Finger Tapings.

He is still so amazing...

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, looks like vintage Earl.. no glasses, no finger tape, just
the back wrist weight... playing runout pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yup, no secret that Earl has that special gear, but as he so rarely finds it in the big events, I wonder whether he really is top five. Obviously, when he finds his highest gear, he's US top two behind only Shane, but to me, quality is chiefly about winning matches, and Turning Stone aside, Earl hasn't been doing much of that in 2019.

Nonetheless, gotta give the man credit on a fine achievement. His determination and skill are still special.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, no secret that Earl has that special gear, but as he so rarely finds it in the big events, I wonder whether he really is top five. Obviously, when he finds his highest gear, he's US top two behind only Shane, but to me, quality is chiefly about winning matches, and Turning Stone aside, Earl hasn't been doing much of that in 2019.

Nonetheless, gotta give the man credit on a fine achievement. His determination and skill are still special.

SJ,

I understand what your saying and agree with most of it but, some part of me just can't write Earl off. Not because of the TS event but, because I knew he still had/has the stuff.

Jeff

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
He looked sharp, if he only had Shane's break he'd be dangerous.

Attachments

• shellac.jpg
    shellac.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only problem with Fargo is that it is blind to the quality of the match (as opposed to the opponent). You can say that Earl lost hill-hill to Hatch and it is true of course, but he also looked bad (for him) and the match was only close because Hatch also played bad (for him). Earl might have played that match at 700 speed and lost to Hatch playing 720 (just to make up examples), whereas he might run two four packs in another match and lose to a 6 pack and a three pack. So IMO the fan perception of Earl not playing well comes from qualitative assessments by fans of his level of play, not just that he lost early.

All of that said, what I saw of TS was Earl firing on all cylinders and playing great pool again. I would like to see more of that before I’d say “he’s back!” (To paraphrase Fast Eddie).

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only problem with Fargo is that it is blind to the quality of the match (as opposed to the opponent). You can say that Earl lost hill-hill to Hatch and it is true of course, but he also looked bad (for him) and the match was only close because Hatch also played bad (for him). Earl might have played that match at 700 speed and lost to Hatch playing 720 (just to make up examples), [...].

All true.

When we see how Earl has performed over a larger number of games, though, like the last 600, opponents will have sometimes under-performed and sometimes over-performed. So that's better grounds for deciding whether "he's back."

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Earl is an icon.

Oh, I think he's showing his age alright.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, last two shots of the match. He could have made an easier shot on the 8 and still been on, but longer on the 9 but no, he brings the cue ball back around right in front of himself for a completely easy out. No extra steps...

Earl is an icon.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'll set this shit straight, and just so all you a holes understand, I'll take Earl against #4 and every other degenerate rated lower than Earl's Fargo rate
Doesn't matter what country, the only thing that matters is the opponent is 1 fargo rate point below the loser Earl.
Get your bets in while you're mouth is still running. None of you big talkers are barred, get in the game and prove your big mouth is correct.

Bunch of knitting circle b&+@#=$

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll set this shit straight, and just so all you a holes understand, I'll take Earl against #4 and every other degenerate rated lower than Earl's Fargo rate
Doesn't matter what country, the only thing that matters is the opponent is 1 fargo rate point below the loser Earl.
Get your bets in while you're mouth is still running. None of you big talkers are barred, get in the game and prove your big mouth is correct.

source.gif

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

lol

i disagree with the effing and jeffing, but agree that earl could beat anyone on a good day, and make it look effortless too. that must be a scary thought for the pros

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Largely due to Turning Stone a tournament in which jump cues are banned.

If jump cues were banned universally Earl never would have left the top 5.