New pool game

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Testing to see if I can post a new thread. I've created a new pool game that I believe may replace nine ball as we know it.
Danny K

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
Testing to see if I can post a new thread. I've created a new pool game that I believe may replace nine ball as we know it.
Danny K

You can post. Please describe so we can learn more...:D

Last edited:

jdr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack your post, but do you own Danny K's just off Katella? If so, it's a very nice pool room, with some nice tables, and some very nice waitresses... the tournament director is very nice as well...

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
OK here is the game.

Rotation Continuous

Fifteen balls are racked with the one ball in front and the rest of the balls any fashion the racker prefers.

Breaker racks his or her own balls.

Offensive break only. Safety breaks are not allowed.

Balls are shot in rotation.

After every missed shot or foul, incoming player has cue ball in hand anywhere on playing surface.

Every shot counts a point. A preset number of points is played to, like 75 or 100.

Player who makes the last ball on the table continues shooting.

Can be played call pocket as well. It may be more exciting to play anything counts that goes, though.

Safeties, as in three-cushion billiards, are not allowed and the penalty is minus 15 points and opponent breaks a new rack.

We've been playing Rotation Continuous in a ring game for several months now and no one leaves feeling that they didn't get the rolls or was unlucky. Players who play the best win.

This game affords all players the luxury of playing any and all offensive shots, and so the offensive aspect of player's games will improve and should prove to be more exciting to watch in a tournament and on TV.

Give it a try! I plan on hosting a tournament here at Danny K's in February, adding some decent money and making the entry fee cheap.

I'll post when that will happen.

Danny K

Last edited:

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
jdr, Yes, that's me. Glad you like the waitresses. We play a ring game 3 or 4 days a week playing this game for a dollar a point. Usually only a few dollars changes hands.
Danny

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
OK here is the game.

Rotation Continuous

Fifteen balls are racked with the one ball in front and the rest of the balls any fashion the racker prefers.

Breaker racks his or her own balls.

Offensive break only. Safety breaks are not allowed.

Balls are shot in rotation.

After every missed shot or foul, incoming player has cue ball in hand anywhere on playing surface.

Every shot counts a point. A preset number of points is played to, like 75 or 100.

Can be played call pocket as well. It may be more exciting to play anything counts that goes, though.

Safeties, as in three-cushion billiards, are not allowed and the penalty is minus 15 points and opponent breaks a new rack.

We've been playing Rotation Continuous in a ring game for several months now and no one leaves feeling that they didn't get the rolls or was unlucky. Players who play the best win.

This game affords all players the luxury of playing any and all offensive shots, and so the offensive aspect of player's games will improve and should prove to be more exciting to watch in a tournament and on TV.

Give it a try! I plan on hosting a tournament here at Danny K's in February, adding some decent money and making the entry fee cheap.

I'll post when that will happen.

Danny K

Interesting. Danny be sure to post here when the event will be. I only heard about that last straight pool event you had, after it was over :cool: .

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:

Continues shooting as in bring the CB back to the kitchen and break the new rack?

Seems like an interesting game. I'm going to try it out later and see how many I can run. I bet it's less than 15, but we'll see.

-Andrew

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sounds like a good game, but I would keep it call shot. The other way you put luck back into it. A guy has no pocket for the next ball...so he hits it into as many others as he can to get them get moving. Johnnyt

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Yes, the rack is broken from the kitchen. Very important to make a ball on the break. You'll find that nine ball becomes easy once you have an open shot. This game requires much more skill to get through the beginning part of the rack.
Danny

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
jdr, Yes, that's me. Glad you like the waitresses. We play a ring game 3 or 4 days a week playing this game for a dollar a point. Usually only a few dollars changes hands.
Danny

Can I play a ring game with the waitresses?

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good idea, and I can see why the best player will rise to the top much more quickly than in 9-ball. Also, I definitely think it's good to be thinking and trying out new pool games, because I think that the "perfect" pool game for the pro level hasn't yet been invented.

I have a possible suggestion for a rule that I've thought about in 9-ball/10-ball, and it might work here.

What if instead of BIH after each miss, the incoming player is allowed to shoot any ball on the table for the first shot, and then has to keep playing in rotation. Then you will usually have some kind of shot to start with, but you have to play shape for the lowest ball, and it's not quite as easy as just having BIH. It might even make it possible for some sort of safety play to develop, without destroying the fast-paced offensive nature of the game.

You might also do that on the first shot after the break, since I imagine that a lot of times you won't get a shot on the 1 if there are 15 balls.

I thought of this one time as a 9-ball rule. My thinking was, not getting a shot on the 1 after the break, and accidentally getting hooked are probably two biggest sources of luck in 9-ball, and in many cases this luck overwhelms the skill even in race to 11 or 13.

But, for A/pro level players, taking BIH after the break (or after each miss) would make it too easy to run out (in 9-ball, that is, not 15-ball rotation). Being able to shoot any ball as your first shot is like a lesser version of BIH: you're still going to have a shot most of the time but it won't be perfect, e.g. so you can't immediately break up clusters or move problem balls or whatever.

Never tried it, so maybe it won't work at all, but I thought I'd share since we're talking about new pool games.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
You'll find that nine ball becomes easy once you have an open shot. This game requires much more skill to get through the beginning part of the rack.
Danny

Yeah, that much is clear. Seems to me like whoever manages to get the first open shot on the most 6 and 7 balls will be the one who wins the match.

-Andrew

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
ineedaspot,
Actually, if you watch nine ball almost all misses usually will leave the opponent in a precarious position, even if the shot is not a hook or length of the table bank. It may be a long straight in or semi-difficult cut shot.

Grady Mathews ran a few nine ball tournaments this way, cue ball in hand on every shot. He had this rule to get rid of the rolls after a shot was missed. Problem was that nine ball has too few balls on the table, so the racks were too easy to run. Playing Rotation Continuous the challenge for a good player is to keep running balls, so that he reaches the preset total first. If he gets out of line he suffers the consequences. No safeties. That's the penalty for missing position. Too often after getting out of line the player has an easy safe and now the tables are turned and his opponent is punished.

Danny

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New Pool Game

Sounds pretty challenging to me. It will be pretty crowded on my oversized 8' table but I going to give it a try!

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
OK here is the game.

Danny K

Danny, just a question. If the incoming player gets ball in hand for a miss, what would be the reason for someone playing a safe?

Other than maybe trying to tie balls up further up into the rack...:confused:

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Hi Danny. Not to take away from the game you're promoting here, but are you going to host another straight-pool tournament any time in the near future?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Grady Mathews ran a few nine ball tournaments this way, cue ball in hand on every shot. He had this rule to get rid of the rolls after a shot was missed. Problem was that nine ball has too few balls on the table, so the racks were too easy to run.

Maybe only allow ball in hand until there are fewer than 10 balls left?

pj
chgo

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Just that, to tie the balls up and prevent the next player from running out. This could go on forever. I've tried to come up with a safety strategy for the game and none seem to work.

If you look at most games related to pool, none have safety options, e.g. golf, tennis or bowling. Pool is the only individual game (or sport) that allows for safeties. I believe safety play restricts the offensive part of pool (obviously) and creativity in that part of the game.

Danny

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
Just that, to tie the balls up and prevent the next player from running out. This could go on forever. I've tried to come up with a safety strategy for the game and none seem to work.
Danny

It would be hard, as you say, to come up with a plan to eliminate safeties because a really good player can effectively tie up balls with a miss anyway and not caring if the incoming player gets BIH because the outgoing player knows he's gonna get back to the table soon because of the logjam he created. It would benefit the outgoing player to purposely tie-up the lowest numbered ball possible to keep the incoming player from making a large run. This is, for the most part, is a safety. Even if safeties are not allowed, a good player will find a way to screw-up his/her opponents run.

Maniac

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Welcome Danny K.

It would be an interesting game. All shots, banks, caroms, combo's, rail first kicks, would be required when the balls are all on the table. It would challenge the player's creativity, whereas 9 and 10 ball are pretty straight forward. I think you should allow safeties in two player version only - it would make the game even more interesting.

What are you calling the game. how about "15 Ball, D.K. Style"?

Chris