Old
  (#16)
RickLafayette
AzB Silver Member

RickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-01-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hits 'em Hard View Post
I would avoid doing this as misapplication of the wax can lead to an increase in random miscues.
Shaping / roughing up the tip is the last thing I do.

Player: Meucci Pro Series 5 w/ Carbon Pro shaft
Break Cue: Predator BK Rush
other stuff

Old
  (#17)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 07:38 PM

My thanks to all who replied. The insight/s are much appreciated.
JP

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#18)
Buster8001
Did you say shrubberies?
Buster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
Same. No wax is on the playing surface of the tip.

"Eight ball up her thight!"
-Kung Fu Master-

"Pool is an analog game in a digital world."
-Chuck Fields-

Old
  (#19)
TheBasics
AzB Silver Member
TheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 05:48 AM

Howdy All;

I use a bit of spit applied with a finger tip then either a Brown paper towel or Brown
paper bag. The Brown or raw paper has better friction IMO then White paper.

hank

Old
  (#20)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member
Hits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster8001 View Post
Same. No wax is on the playing surface of the tip.
Doesnít matter. The wax melts into the side of the tip and is absorbed.

Old
  (#21)
Buster8001
Did you say shrubberies?
Buster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Doesnít matter. The wax melts into the side of the tip and is absorbed.
Tell me how wax will melt into the side wall of a burnished tip? Especially when no heat is generated with my final sealing using the wax. I take my block of beeswax and run it down the side of the ferrule and the side wall of the tip, then come right behind with a paper towel. The only thing the wax is doing is shining and sealing from moisture. I've been doing it for years.

-Kung Fu Master-

-Chuck Fields-

Old
  (#22)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member
Hits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Tell me how wax will melt into the side wall of a burnished tip? Especially when no heat is generated with my final sealing using the wax. I take my block of beeswax and run it down the side of the ferrule and the side wall of the tip, then come right behind with a paper towel. The only thing the wax is doing is shining and sealing from moisture. I've been doing it for years.
Whatís the point of using wax in a manner itís not intended for, and not applying it in a manner that actually achieves the results youíre looking for?? Just to attract more chalk dust to the side of the tip? Itís not sealing anything unless you are melting the wax into the grains of the leather. And itís also laughable that you think burnishing a tip is making the side wall of the tip impenetrable. That would kill every soft tip out there.

Old
  (#23)
Buster8001
Did you say shrubberies?

12-04-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
What’s the point of using wax in a manner it’s not intended for, and not applying it in a manner that actually achieves the results you’re looking for?? Just to attract more chalk dust to the side of the tip? It’s not sealing anything unless you are melting the wax into the grains of the leather. And it’s also laughable that you think burnishing a tip is making the side wall of the tip impenetrable. That would kill every soft tip out there.
What's laughable is your attitude and the entire above statement.

I use the wax in my intended manner, and it achieves the exact result I want - shining and sealing. Chalk is going to be on the side of the tip EVERY TIME YOU CHALK THE TIP. That was one of your more than usual moronic statements. Why do you think the side walls of a tip are burnished? Hmmm...maybe to SEAL and HARDEN them to prevent mushrooming and moisture wicking.

Instead of spreading your drivel to me, why don't you try to answer the original poster in a direct manner. Maybe you can offer him a different point of view on the matter at hand.

-Kung Fu Master-

-Chuck Fields-

Last edited by Buster8001; 12-04-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Old
  (#24)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

12-04-2019, 02:27 PM

How to get rid of wax buildup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2hHPPwtmQ

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#25)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member

12-06-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
What's laughable is your attitude and the entire above statement.

I use the wax in my intended manner, and it achieves the exact result I want - shining and sealing. Chalk is going to be on the side of the tip EVERY TIME YOU CHALK THE TIP. That was one of your more than usual moronic statements. Why do you think the side walls of a tip are burnished? Hmmm...maybe to SEAL and HARDEN them to prevent mushrooming and moisture wicking.

Instead of spreading your drivel to me, why don't you try to answer the original poster in a direct manner. Maybe you can offer him a different point of view on the matter at hand.
I have never seen a leather tip not mushroom. It helps combat excessive mushrooming, but never prevents. And it does not prevent moisture wicking at all. If it did, there would be no need for these black leather tips designed specifically for that intent. Unless your tip is blue to begin with, using wax will make it blue after one chalking. So far youíre two for two on being wrong. Iíve tried multiple different methods for making the sidewalls of a tip look pretty/burnished. Only two things Iíve found work, and the Tiger burnishing liquid isnít one. A little spit and a piece of leather/paper/money, or if youíve cleaned the ferrule with the tip install. A little liquid polishing compound and polish the ferrule. Then when the rag is nearly dry, burnish the tip. I will never use wax again after I figured out it wasnít fool proof. Half a second is all it takes for wax to wrong. I prefer methods that allow me to blink while I work.

Old
  (#26)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Spit and a piece of leather belt I cut in 1973.
If I forget to put that back in the case, the before mentioned dollar bill, calling card, note card, .....

My best tip tapper is a 3" section of a 16" Mill Bastard file.

I'd imagine cue builders would us a cotton wheel off their buffer. Or some such thing. Lot quicker than by hand.
But I'm not a cuemaker.

Last edited by 3kushn; 12-07-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: