practice (video)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See? This is the problem with posting here under multiple screen names. You used to post as nrhoades, and mentioned that you took lessons from Joe Tucker (a pro player, a very reputable instructor, and a friend of mine). That video is quite different than the one you posted on the instructor forum. I know for a fact that Joe would not "gloss over" the need for an accurate and repeatable stroke, which you stated in your latest posts that your instructor told you not to bother with a stroke first. You still rush into your stroke. You should stop longer at the CB, to give your subconscious brain a chance to ask "Are you ready...or not?" That takes about 1/2 second. Your stop at the CB is typically much shorter than that (it can only be seen and measured with slow motion, frame-by-frame video analysis), and is followed by far too fast of a backswing...making a smooth transition to a forward accelerated stroke much more difficult. If you watch really good players, they all stop at the CB before pulling the trigger, and lots of them have some kind of short pause at the end of the backswing too.

I find it interesting that you're reposting video here on the main forum, after getting this exact same advice from SEVERAL instructors on the instructor forum. Are you looking for validation, or just AzB viewers telling you, "hey you shoot pretty good!"? :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Sorry for the low angle, low battery and was in a rush.

How'm I lookin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMVtRQhXXqk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

p.s. Very lucky to have Joe Dupuis ask me to join his american rotation league.. my goal is not to come in last! Starts this Sunday, wish me luck, I'll need it.

Last edited:

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See? This is the problem with posting here under multiple screen names. You used to post as nrhoades, and mentioned that you took lessons from Joe Tucker (a pro player, a very reputable instructor, and a friend of mine). That video is quite different than the one you posted on the instructor forum. I know for a fact that Joe would not "gloss over" the need for an accurate and repeatable stroke, which you stated in your latest posts that your instructor told you not to bother with a stroke first. You still rush into your stroke. You should stop longer at the CB, to give your subconscious brain a chance to ask "Are you ready...or not?" That takes about 1/2 second. Your stop at the CB is typically much shorter than that (it can only be seen and measured with slow motion, frame-by-frame video analysis). If you watch really good players, they all stop at the CB before pulling the trigger.

I find it interesting that you're reposting video here on the main forum, after getting this exact same advice from SEVERAL instructors on the instructor forum. Are you looking for validation, or just AzB viewers telling you, "hey you shoot pretty good!"? :grin:

Scott Lee

The video I posted here is different, and was shot one week after the one I posted in the instructor forum, showing that yes, I can adjust my stroke based on your advice.

Scott, this is bad. I never mentioned Joe's name on purpose, never said he "glossed over" anything, and most importantly I was pretty careful to be humble and respectful. I lost the password to my last screenname. I really don't like that you're inventing something to call me out on... all I'm looking for is feedback from both players and instructors with different perspectives. So far everyone's advice has been very helpful, and it makes me feel joy when all of the hard work that I've put into my game is recognized by other players. I find that recording myself for the purpose of posting videos on this forum puts real pressure on my game, knowing that the community will see it, and makes me try hard to improve and focus. A good thing. I think that the fact that I went up in speed so quickly speaks for itself for joe's teaching style, but I shouldn't have to be writing this to defend anybody right now since I never dropped names. In fact, I would expect instructors to be overly encouraging compared to other players, not the other way around. I barely disagreed with you and had no problem at all. That was a very unprofessional post, and I'm not impressed. I'm like, the least confrontational person I know... I'm not even sure that I want to participate in this forum anymore if things like this will happen, and thats a shame because it's a great tool.

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. This belongs in the instructor forum, imo.
2. In the second frame it looks like you shot the 3 ball out of rotation.
3. Scott is a nice guy from my dealings with him. I don't know the back story here (regarding your accounts, etc), but his advice is usually solid.
4. Even if you don't like his comments, they still provide feedback. It doesn't sound like a personal attack to me.

If you are having trouble with your account, I would recommend asking a moderator to help you. It is frowned upon to have multiple accounts (maybe that's a reason for some of the reactions).

Anyways, it looks like you have good positioning skills. Keep up the practice.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an expert or a coach or even a good player but the shot you missed at 3:10 - the cue kind of bounced up in the air. Perhaps a closed bridge would be better there.

Good luck.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you shoot pretty good man.

I do think that you might want to just take a little more time though - rhythm seems to be very quick. Having said that I have watched Drago and Luc Salvas play and I am not in line to gamble with either one of those guys.

Joe is a great instructor - I have worked with him in the past. Also worked with Stan Shuffett - another great instructor.

Cheers,
Gerry

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you shoot pretty good man.

I do think that you might want to just take a little more time though - rhythm seems to be very quick. Having said that I have watched Drago and Luc Salvas play and I am not in line to gamble with either one of those guys.

Joe is a great instructor - I have worked with him in the past. Also worked with Stan Shuffett - another great instructor.

Cheers,
Gerry

Gerry I saw your 15-ball ghost runs, and the "17-ball battle of the 21st century!" lol

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The video I posted here is different, and was shot one week after the one I posted in the instructor forum, showing that yes, I can adjust my stroke based on your advice.

Scott, this is bad. I never mentioned Joe's name on purpose, never said he "glossed over" anything, and most importantly I was pretty careful to be humble and respectful. I lost the password to my last screenname. I really don't like that you're inventing something to call me out on... all I'm looking for is feedback from both players and instructors with different perspectives. So far everyone's advice has been very helpful, and it makes me feel joy when all of the hard work that I've put into my game is recognized by other players. I find that recording myself for the purpose of posting videos on this forum puts real pressure on my game, knowing that the community will see it, and makes me try hard to improve and focus. A good thing. I think that the fact that I went up in speed so quickly speaks for itself for joe's teaching style, but I shouldn't have to be writing this to defend anybody right now since I never dropped names. In fact, I would expect instructors to be overly encouraging compared to other players, not the other way around. I barely disagreed with you and had no problem at all. That was a very unprofessional post, and I'm not impressed. I'm like, the least confrontational person I know... I'm not even sure that I want to participate in this forum anymore if things like this will happen, and thats a shame because it's a great tool.

This is an excellent post!!!

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice long stroke with a lot of follow through. Great draw back action with the cue. Several comments on this thread about your shooting too quickly. Nothing wrong with that if you know what you want to do with the cue ball. If you had taken an extra moment on the 5 ball shot you probably would have drawn back a couple of inches to give you a good angle on that 6 ball. Looks like that's where you ran into trouble trying to get position on the 6. Otherwise great shot making and position play. You shoot a good stick.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Nice shooting. I just wanna know 1 thing ?? Why did you stop playing "rotation" at the 6-ball? (you shot the 6 -ball three times b/c you didn't like the follow for position on the 7-ball.) at @ 1:20 in your video. Play it out man ! You won't get a re-shoot opportunity in matches, and it is important to sink those off-line shots as they are what keeps your runs alive.

I just got done playing a guy that made it to finals in APA 8-ball. We play rotation,(he goes to 75, I go to 50). We're always fighting safety battles for the 2nd half of the rack. (I lost 75-41) He rolled some stellar safes on me. Had me pulling 2-3 rails plus a TON of English off of the rail to get a kick.

You have good position play. Can't knock a guy who plays a B&W too much. :)

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting. I just wanna know 1 thing ?? Why did you stop playing "rotation" at the 6-ball? (you shot the 6 -ball three times b/c you didn't like the follow for position on the 7-ball.) at @ 1:20 in your video. Play it out man ! You won't get a re-shoot opportunity in matches, and it is important to sink those off-line shots as they are what keeps your runs alive.

I just got done playing a guy that made it to finals in APA 8-ball. We play rotation,(he goes to 75, I go to 50). We're always fighting safety battles for the 2nd half of the rack. (I lost 75-41) He rolled some stellar safes on me. Had me pulling 2-3 rails plus a TON of English off of the rail to get a kick.

You have good position play. Can't knock a guy who plays a B&W too much. :)

Wasn't too focused on running the table, more focused on my stroke at the time. I wanted that 7. I used to play safes by myself, but now instead I've been practicing one pocket for safety practice. People here saying my stroke looks good, finallllly I think I'm happy with it... Almost, lol.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nathan...Since you called me out, I'm going to answer you respectfully. You could have posted in the instructor forum, mentioning that you had a different screen name (for whatever reason)...you didn't. It was assumed by all of us that you were a new poster, who had been taking lessons from an "instructor" for three years, based on what you said in your first post. NO decent instructor would not focus first on good, repeatable fundamentals...which is what several of the instructors mentioned, including me. You chose to "disrespect" that advice, in the posts that you answered. That's okay...that's your choice. When you posted an "updated" video, in the same thread, it was obvious who you were, and who the 'instructor' was. All I said is that Joe doesn't operate that way...I know that for a fact. BTW, Joe never minds people posting about the great instruction they got from him, nor does he mind them mentioning him by name. Joe has a great reputation in the industry, and is doing great things for pool with his new rotation league.

Sorry you felt I was 'inventing' something to 'call you out on', but it's on you...not me...based on what you posted in your own threads. There are many here who deliberately post under multiple screen names, for various purposes. I'm glad to hear that you're not one of them. My post was completely professional, based on the information you gave us, and the advice you asked for. You can choose to post here...or not...that too, is your choice, but don't try to put that on me either. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have good shot making abilities, but what I would focus on are the angles. You seem to shoot one ball trying to just get position 'to make' the next ball, and then figure out how to get to the next ball from there. You should be playing position for 'the angle' on the next ball that will get you to 'the angle' on the next ball, and so on. This will automatically force you to play 3 to 4 balls ahead also. This helped my game a lot.

Scratch~

Registered
See? This is the problem with posting here under multiple screen names. You used to post as nrhoades, and mentioned that you took lessons from Joe Tucker (a pro player, a very reputable instructor, and a friend of mine). That video is quite different than the one you posted on the instructor forum. I know for a fact that Joe would not "gloss over" the need for an accurate and repeatable stroke, which you stated in your latest posts that your instructor told you not to bother with a stroke first. You still rush into your stroke. You should stop longer at the CB, to give your subconscious brain a chance to ask "Are you ready...or not?" That takes about 1/2 second. Your stop at the CB is typically much shorter than that (it can only be seen and measured with slow motion, frame-by-frame video analysis), and is followed by far too fast of a backswing...making a smooth transition to a forward accelerated stroke much more difficult. If you watch really good players, they all stop at the CB before pulling the trigger, and lots of them have some kind of short pause at the end of the backswing too.

Scott Lee

Thanks, your "advice" helped me think about a couple of things I haven't yet!! now... to just remember it!

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nathan...Since you called me out, I'm going to answer you respectfully. You could have posted in the instructor forum, mentioning that you had a different screen name (for whatever reason)...you didn't. It was assumed by all of us that you were a new poster, who had been taking lessons from an "instructor" for three years, based on what you said in your first post. NO decent instructor would not focus first on good, repeatable fundamentals...which is what several of the instructors mentioned, including me. You chose to "disrespect" that advice, in the posts that you answered. That's okay...that's your choice. When you posted an "updated" video, in the same thread, it was obvious who you were, and who the 'instructor' was. All I said is that Joe doesn't operate that way...I know that for a fact. BTW, Joe never minds people posting about the great instruction they got from him, nor does he mind them mentioning him by name. Joe has a great reputation in the industry, and is doing great things for pool with his new rotation league.

Sorry you felt I was 'inventing' something to 'call you out on', but it's on you...not me...based on what you posted in your own threads. There are many here who deliberately post under multiple screen names, for various purposes. I'm glad to hear that you're not one of them. My post was completely professional, based on the information you gave us, and the advice you asked for. You can choose to post here...or not...that too, is your choice, but don't try to put that on me either. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

glad we cleared it up. Old username "nrhoades" was linked to "nrhoades@umassd.edu", which was deleted when I graduated. No way to reset/recover password or prove authenticity... needed to make a new account. I don't know why anyone would care.

theres a difference between disrespecting your advice, and asking for more specific advice. I wasn't looking for stroke advice because that's the only advice instructors seem to give people on this forum. Was looking for a little bit more, that's all. This is the end of it.

Last edited: