Names from the past

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about some of the players I knew many years ago who have slipped into oblivion. Just wondering if anyone out there remembers any of these guys.

Arizona Sean (deceased) - He was a slender handsome young man out of Arizona who became best friends with Don Johnson and worked on Miami Vice as a writer. He was good enough to win a qualifier to play in Fred Whalen's Los Angeles World Championship in 1972. Sean also was a stunt double for Warren Beatty on Shampoo and Kaliediscope. He was a fascinating guy who I last saw at the tourney we held at the Biltmore Hotel in 1987.

Harold Johnson - The all time biggest crybaby I ever saw in pool. And he played pretty good too. He would carry on like his life was coming to an end if he missed a ball or two. He was from Illinois I believe.

Billy Ray Suden - A degenerate hustler who played pretty good back in the 70's. He came into my poolroom in 1973 and we played a Race to Eleven for $200. I was down 9-2 and came back to win. He flipped out and broke his cue. I heard he was still playing back East. Originally from Rhode Island I believe.

Jimmy Harris - From Florida, a damn good little player who had this shit eating grin plastered on his face all day long. Maybe it was the weed :rolleyes:. I snuck Jimmy Reid in on him and after that he left California, returning to Florida.

Junior Harris - I called him the June Bug. He traveled the country playing pool for years. Played a pretty good speed too. Last I heard he turned to preaching.

Bill Mielke - A damn good shortstop out of Wisconsin. I saw him grind down a lot of good players, he had no quit in him. His drinking may have gotten the best of him.

Crazy Bruce - From New Jersey by way of Miami. He was certifiable, one screw loose at all times. Played good Eight Ball but was always his own worst enemy. Heard he made it big in real estate. Could barely read or write!

"Johnny Dollar" Overton - From Ohio and Indiana. He was the first real pool hustler I ever saw in action. He snuck around Dayton beating up on light weights like me. Heard his grandson is John Overton, the pro golfer.

Paul Baker - From Iowa, another triple sneaky and smart hustler who played good golf and pool. His hustle was to go in the pool room and tell everyone he was a golf hustler. And also go to the golf course and tell them he was a pool hustler. Worked for him!

Little Frankie - From New York. He was playing for serious money when he was only 13. A predecessor to Keith, an East Coast version. The cockiest little kid you ever saw. He cussed like a man and he was just a little boy. He could play too!

Augie Donatelli - He came out to California with Freddy and was the better player of the two back then (except for Banks). It took a strong player to beat Augie.

Buddy Dennis - One smooth operator. He was so low key you wouldn't even notice him in the poolroom. That is until he beat the best player in the house out of all his money. :smile:

"Three Fingered" Ronnie Sypher - Out of Baltimore, he was a strong money player and a pretty fun guy to hang around with. I wonder what happened to him.

Steve Carter (deceased?) - A fairly good player that was another head case. I took him around a little out here and he never could do much. Last I heard he put on a tournament and disappeared with the money. This was over 20 years ago.

Where's Toby anyway? I really liked that little guy. He had more heart per square inch than any living human! And Roger Griffis is another very good player that fell off the map. He beat Efren to win the Hollywood Billiards tourney in 1990.

A more famous player that I really liked was Marvin (Henderson). We spent a lot of time together in the 60's just hanging out and getting high. I loved hanging with Marvin, we always had a good time. I miss that ole son-of-a-gun! And what a player he was, simply the best around wherever he went. Although when Richie came up so fast out here Marvin took a pass on him. He was no dummy.

I can probably come up with a lot more, but these are just a few I was wondering about.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also head JR Harris found Jesus and was in TX.

I tack Eugene Browning to your list. He blew my mind, seeing him blow his own mind and proceed to play possibly the best pool I have ever seen first-hand.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jay, do you recall Fat Bill?
He was the best snooker player at Hollywood and Western...( when Ronnie
wasn't around )....he was a stand-up comedian..had an act like Don Rickles.

My partner Calvin and I gambled with him for 6 days in Phoenix AZ...it was
like being on SLN. He broke about 15 sets of stake-horses but they enjoyed
the show.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Two for you Jay from Pennsylvania

Jimmy Matz (RIP): Very good road player but didn't play many tournaments so not a lot of folks knew him. When he played he had no fear...no ducking.

Jafar Basheer (AKA Henry or Patcheye): Great 1 Pocket Player out of Philly. Still playing last I heard fairly well. Must be in his 80's by now.

Wedge

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay...I think Bill Mielke is still playing. in the I've seen his name in the Vegas nationals for one league or another. Paul Baker still lives in or near Des Moines, and plays regularly. Buddy Dennis was still playing 10 yrs ago, when I last saw him, in SC.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I was thinking about some of the players I knew many years ago who have slipped into oblivion. Just wondering if anyone out there remembers any of these guys.

Bill Mielke - A damn good shortstop out of Wisconsin. I saw him grind down a lot of good players, he had no quit in him. His drinking may have gotten the best of him.

Paul Baker - From Iowa, another triple sneaky and smart hustler who played good golf and pool. His hustle was to go in the pool room and tell everyone he was a golf hustler. And also go to the golf course and tell them he was a pool hustler. Worked for him!

Buddy Dennis - One smooth operator. He was so low key you wouldn't even notice him in the poolroom. That is until he beat the best player in the house out of all his money. :smile:.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Harris

Did he play one pocket mostly? He lived in my town a short time. Was married to an Asian gal that worked at a nail salon. I think he said he had moved here from Texas though. He played good one hole but never would bet much. Just cheap action.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Bill Mielke is still playing and drinking, he has back problems. I see him nearly every week at Kolby's and he is cool to be around most of the time. Have gotten to play him a little bit here and there also.

MHarris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Matz (RIP): Very good road player but didn't play many tournaments so not a lot of folks knew him. When he played he had no fear...no ducking.

Jafar Basheer (AKA Henry or Patcheye): Great 1 Pocket Player out of Philly. Still playing last I heard fairly well. Must be in his 80's by now.

Wedge

Just saw some photos of Henry from this year's DCC in one of Steve Booth's albums. His game has aged well.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Arizona Sean (deceased) - He was a slender handsome young man out of Arizona who became best friends with Don Johnson and worked on Miami Vice as a writer. He was good enough to win a qualifier to play in Fred Whalen's Los Angeles World Championship in 1972. Sean also was a stunt double for Warren Beatty on Shampoo and Kaliediscope. He was a fascinating guy who I last saw at the tourney we held at the Biltmore Hotel in 1987.

Harold Johnson - The all time biggest crybaby I ever saw in pool. And he played pretty good too. He would carry on like his life was coming to an end if he missed a ball or two. He was from Illinois I believe.

Billy Ray Suden - A degenerate hustler who played pretty good back in the 70's. He came into my poolroom in 1973 and we played a Race to Eleven for $200. I was down 9-2 and came back to win. He flipped out and broke his cue. I heard he was still playing back East. Originally from Rhode Island I believe.

Jimmy Harris - From Florida, a damn good little player who had this shit eating grin plastered on his face all day long. Maybe it was the weed :rolleyes:. I snuck Jimmy Reid in on him and after that he left California, returning to Florida.

Junior Harris - I called him the June Bug. He traveled the country playing pool for years. Played a pretty good speed too. Last I heard he turned to preaching.

Crazy Bruce - From New Jersey by way of Miami. He was certifiable, one screw loose at all times. Played good Eight Ball but was always his own worst enemy. Heard he made it big in real estate. Could barely read or write!"

Johnny Dollar" Overton - From Ohio and Indiana. He was the first real pool hustler I ever saw in action. He snuck around Dayton beating up on light weights like me. Heard his grandson is John Overton, the pro golfer.

Little Frankie - From New York. He was playing for serious money when he was only 13. A predecessor to Keith, an East Coast version. The cockiest little kid you ever saw. He cussed like a man and he was just a little boy. He could play too!

Augie Donatelli - He came out to California with Freddy and was the better player of the two back then (except for Banks). It took a strong player to beat Augie.

Buddy Dennis - One smooth operator. He was so low key you wouldn't even notice him in the poolroom. That is until he beat the best player in the house out of all his money. :smile:

"Three Fingered" Ronnie Sypher - Out of Baltimore, he was a strong money player and a pretty fun guy to hang around with. I wonder what happened to him.

Steve Carter (deceased?) - A fairly good player that was another head case. I took him around a little out here and he never could do much. Last I heard he put on a tournament and disappeared with the money. This was over 20 years ago.

Where's Toby anyway? I really liked that little guy. He had more heart per square inch than any living human! And Roger Griffis is another very good player that fell off the map. He beat Efren to win the Hollywood Billiards tourney in 1990.

A more famous player that I really liked was Marvin (Henderson). We spent a lot of time together in the 60's just hanging out and getting high. I loved hanging with Marvin, we always had a good time. I miss that ole son-of-a-gun! And what a player he was, simply the best around wherever he went. Although when Richie came up so fast out here Marvin took a pass on him. He was no dummy.

I can probably come up with a lot more, but these are just a few I was wondering about.

Is this gentleman the Cocobolo Cowboy!!!:smile:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Photos

Photos of Henry and Jimmy Matz! Also someone who looks a lot different now and is running a pool room in Pittsburg.

Attachments

• Henry.jpg
    Henry.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 5,004
  • Jimmy Matz.jpg
    Jimmy Matz.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 5,360
  • JimM.jpg
    JimM.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 5,134
Last edited:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old names

I can help with a few, Jay:

Marvin Henderson's long gone.

Billy Ray Suden played out of California Billiards in San Jose, then moved to Vegas. Said to be something of a jerk.

Hal Johnson is still alive around here, as far as I know. 3 of his antics worth sharing: he once grabbed his opponent's cue, in one of his fits, and broke THAT. (The opponent, no dummy, simply broke Hal's in return.)

He was known to stand on the table surface and kick the balls.

And his "Kamikaze Sprint" is truly memorable: Hal would grab his cue with both hands in mid-shaft, point the tip towards his breastbone, and then run full speed into the nearest wall. (I'm quite serious about this.) GF

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
That guy from Pittsburg

Cool photo with a pretty good 1 Pocket Player!!!

Attachments

• Marino.jpg
    Marino.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5,174

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, Billy Ray Suden stayed at Jr's( Weldon's) place and played around Knoxville a while about 2-3 yrs ago. Don't know where he went when he left.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, do you recall Fat Bill?
He was the best snooker player at Hollywood and Western...( when Ronnie
wasn't around )....he was a stand-up comedian..had an act like Don Rickles.

My partner Calvin and I gambled with him for 6 days in Phoenix AZ...it was
like being on SLN. He broke about 15 sets of stake-horses but they enjoyed
the show.

Bill Smith I think was his name. I didn't really know him, only heard about him a lot.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Wedge

Patcheye was at DCC this year. I saw him playing Harry Platis for 200 a game. First time I ever saw him he was playing Pete Glenn almost 50 years ago!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did he play one pocket mostly? He lived in my town a short time. Was married to an Asian gal that worked at a nail salon. I think he said he had moved here from Texas though. He played good one hole but never would bet much. Just cheap action.

He liked 9-Ball and One Pocket. Kind of a goofy guy, used to wear his hair long.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay...I think Bill Mielke is still playing. in the I've seen his name in the Vegas nationals for one league or another. Paul Baker still lives in or near Des Moines, and plays regularly. Buddy Dennis was still playing 10 yrs ago, when I last saw him, in SC.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks Scott, would love to see Bill again. He and I made a few scores together.

haywood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal Johnson is still alive around here, as far as I know. 3 of his antics worth sharing: he once grabbed his opponent's cue, in one of his fits, and broke THAT. (The opponent, no dummy, simply broke Hal's in return.)

He was known to stand on the table surface and kick the balls.

And his "Kamikaze Sprint" is truly memorable: Hal would grab his cue with both hands in mid-shaft, point the tip towards his breastbone, and then run full speed into the nearest wall. (I'm quite serious about this.) GF

this sounds an awfully lot like a guy I knew as Hal in the Springfield, Illinois area back in the mid to late 90's. Surely there aren't 2 guys in the world named Hal that would try to impale himself with his own cue! When I saw the live version of this, he was playing with an older DPK that I drooled over until he shattered into about 10 pieces while dropping him to the floor almost unconscious. If memory serves me right, it was over some cheap action too, like 50 bucks maybe?