Most Favorable 9 Ball Rack

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've gone through the Joe Tucker material on racking which was quite good on evaluating the racks from other people. My question is, if you were racking your own on either a 9' Diamond or a Valley Bar Box, what order would you rack the balls in (looking into the rack, starting at the 1 ball), where would you break from and how hard would you try to hit the rack? Assume a standard wood rack and a tight rack, no other "mechanic" work done to the rack.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I've gone through the Joe Tucker material on racking which was quite good on evaluating the racks from other people. My question is, if you were racking your own on either a 9' Diamond or a Valley Bar Box, what order would you rack the balls in (looking into the rack, starting at the 1 ball), where would you break from and how hard would you try to hit the rack? Assume a standard wood rack and a tight rack, no other "mechanic" work done to the rack.

Tight rack... 9ft table 24mph from the left rail to try and get the one ball in front of the corner... Intent to make the 8ball

IF you are looking at Joe's stuff you will understand why but it's not his pattern and I am taking a chance with the 4 ball... It usually banks up and down the table clear but if it wants to kiss or it travels up and all the way back down I will swap it for the 5 ball.... If I can't pattern rack I will simply swap out the balls on the left side with the other balls on the left side and the 6-7-8 on the right side with each other to keep from using the same pattern every time even tho I am using the same principal......

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look forward to seeing the replies in this thread. I need to buy racking secrets, its something I have never given an thought to and probably hindered my 9 ball game massively.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I can't pattern rack I will simply swap out the balls on the left side with the other balls on the left side and the 6-7-8 on the right side with each other to keep from using the same pattern every time even tho I am using the same principal......

Eh, isn't this still pattern racking?

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I avoid pattern racking unless I notice my opponent is doing it (which is a lot lately) and this is what I use when I do:

I use medium-speed cut-break from the right side rail.
Ideally, the 6 ball drops (I put it as the wing ball because I have trouble seeing the edge of the 6 when it's against the rail) the 1,2 and 3 go up table with the 1 ball near the corner where I'm breaking from, and the 7 and 8 stay up table with the 9 ball.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Break 3" to the right of the spot, hit dead center cue & crush it.
2 banks 1 rail into upper right corner pocket, 6 wing ball into lower right corner pocket, 1 ball goes up table near upper left corner pocket & cue ball squats in middle of table.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pattern racking lends credibility to the reputation that pool players have for being cut-throat dishonest people that can't be trusted and it projects that image vividly. Why not work on your run-out game?

poolgod1

Banned
I break from the 3 ball side

3-2
7-8

Defensive pattern rack is as follows if they break from 7 ball side

3-8
2-7

Against A and down talent the defensive racking probably give me at least a 5-8% advantage...they cant go up and down table in traffic.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pattern racking lends credibility to the reputation that pool players have for being cut-throat dishonest people that can't be trusted and it projects that image vividly. Why not work on your run-out game?

Really? If there isn't a rule in the league or tournament against it, then it would be rather silly not to do it if your opponent is doing it. It supposed to be random rack in league where your opponent racks for you yet 90% of the people you play against are obviously using a pattern and making no effort to mask the fact.

I spend 2 to 4 hours per day practicing and working on my run out game. Wish I could spend more but I also have a company to run, a wife who wants time, older children, etc.. Sorry if this question bothered you.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Rack Stats

Since all balls have different diameters, finding the clusters that minimize ball pocketing on the break can be very helpful.

CokerFan82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 5
6 9 3
4 7

Break from 6 side of the rack, 3 inches off the rail, medium speed cut-break. I try to play shape on the 2 ball in the same pocket that the 6 is made on the break (wingball never fails and the 1 goes in the side pocket 70%). The 7,8 and 9 stay down low for easier outs.