Quality custom carom cue. Who and what to look for?

barking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dumb question?

would a mcdermott w a i 3 shaft be ok? the shaft is european taper.Edited to say"apparently not" LoL.

Last edited:

rbdl

Efren Robert
Kilby Cue

Hi Tim,

I have a Ron Kilby cue that you are more than welcome to try out.
I didnt know that you were looking to try one out other wise I would have brought it with me when we were at QCP.

I have also shot with a Cognoscenti with a billiard shaft and WOW it hits nice. Maybe Joe Gold Can build you a shaft for one of your cogs.

Let me know when you wanna meet up at QCP I'll bring the Kilby cue

Thanks,
Robert

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Tim,

I have a Ron Kilby cue that you are more than welcome to try out.
I didnt know that you were looking to try one out other wise I would have brought it with me when we were at QCP.

I have also shot with a Cognoscenti with a billiard shaft and WOW it hits nice. Maybe Joe Gold Can build you a shaft for one of your cogs.

Let me know when you wanna meet up at QCP I'll bring the Kilby cue

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks Rob. What are the odds of you having a Kilby. Didn't know you were into carom at all. Where did you find a carom shaft for the Cog? Did Joe make it?

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
here in Vegas at Best Billiards(one heck of a billiards room) the owner brought in about 8-10 carom cues from Italy, they come with 2 shafts, resin wood shafts, some kind of bright white wood impregnated with resin. They have a built in extension. And a adjustable weight system I will discuss below, its a great solution. They are 100% carom cues not pool cues. I cant remember who makes them it was a 5 letter name I tried to memorize, i'll check later today.

And also adjustable weight system that is very impressive, its not a weight bolt in the back like McDermott uses, Let me describe what I have seen on American cues and then this "System" on the carom cue. Until this carom cue all I have ever seen in adjustable weight bolts are screwed in ffrom the back of the cue, if you want to add a ounce use a longer bolt, or to reduce weight cue the bolt shorter, use aluminium or take it out-all of which mess up the balance point of the cue. And in carom, snooker, and pool it is my opinion that the balance point of a cue is perhaps the most important feature of a cue(I assume all good cues are straight and well constructed). On the Carom cues he has from Italy there is a 12" weight bolt in the back of the cue and on it are from 2-5 threaded weights that you can move up and down the bolt or remove, this is a brilliant solution because If you like a cue with more forward weight you can move them up, back for rear weight, off to reduce weight. This system is the absolute best system for dialing in a cue to your specific taste. I have had cues that I liked at first then after some time I might notice they are back or front heavy-with this system of being able to add/remove and distribute the weight where you want it-is the best solution for a cue possible.

these cues are about $800-$1500? perhaps a bit more $$, I cant remember forsure. I played with one for a few minutes and without a doubt they are worth the $$$, the only down side is they look like $30 not $300 but $30 Chinese decal cues from a distance. When you pick one up and see how the quality of the cue is, extension, shaft wood etc. then you can understand the price, I dont know why they are putting the decals on them, they would be better left off. IMO. they make the cue look cheap-which is ok for hustling bars, not carom cues...

Howdy Fatboy, tried to pm you but its said your message box was full.

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too have gone from pool to billiards and wanted a stick for 3C. I bought a Hanbat from Kozoom Billiards. It's probably considered entry level. Paid under $300 for it and it plays very nicely. Great feel. But I'm kinda a beginner. My 2 cents.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Hanbat Kentauros model and thought it was really nice.

I also play a lower end Hanbat cue and I have no doubt that the cue plays better than I do. :wink2:

I am curious about the extent to which European and Asian club level players play with custom cues. Or collect cues. Or is that more of an American phenomenon.

Anyone know?