Grissim, John 1979. Billiards; Hustlers & Heros …

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grissim, John 1979. Billiards; Hustlers & Heros, Legends & Lies and The Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt. NY, NY.: St. Martin’s Press.

On the cover (it's a "wrap around, front and back) is a photo of the author and another pool player looking over a pool table.
If you:
1. Have this book (and its wrap-around cover).
2. Would recognize Robert Byrne in a photo
3. Would recognize Bo Hopkins in a photo

then please tell me—

Does the photo of Robert Byrne look like the actor Bo Hopkins?

Before I had read the author's identification of the six people in the photo, I had assumed that the cover photo was taken from a movie staring Bo Hopkins. I searched the IMDB for the non existent movie.
I will say that the only part of Robert Byrne that I recognize is his hair!
Dave

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's definitely Byrne.
. Robert Byrne.jpg
Arnaldo

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't pay all that much attention to the jacket when I first read the book but as soon as I read that it was Byrne I always thought it looked like him.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the photo; the book cover and the ones of Hopkins and Byrne.
As for Bo Hopkins. He did do a lot of movie work as an actor and played many characters.
He played the southern good-old-boy well. I could imagine him and pool movie.
As for Byrne I couldn't imagine him at that pool table on the cover.
But that was before I had read the author's notes. I was completely fooled. I had seen all of the Byrne You Tube videos and have about eight of his books. So I was familiar with him and he was my first great instructor through his books.

Check out Tor Lowry's interview of Byrne; it's a really fine piece of work. Many Thanks Tor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXmydQafQG0

Thanks for the comments.
And, just one more thing—it's a great book! Overlooked by the pool community. It's
less than $4.00 used! A great buy.t g
Dave

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had to add, this book is a GREAT read! I got the book at the local library shortly after it was published and after returning it I immediately went to the nearest bookstore and bought the one copy they had. While this book was kind of hard to get for a while I think it may be easier to find these days. If you've never read it I strongly recommend it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just had to add, this book is a GREAT read! I got the book at the local library shortly after it was published and after returning it I immediately went to the nearest bookstore and bought the one copy they had. While this book was kind of hard to get for a while I think it may be easier to find these days. If you've never read it I strongly recommend it.

I'll bring an extra copy to DCC in case someone wants to get it.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LMAO, I just googled his name, and came up with this...I thought it read Pure Stroke...and

I was wondering why there was a picture of a surfer. I think I should update my glasses.

Attachments

• purestroke.jpg
    purestroke.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 540

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Amazing!

I'll bring an extra copy to DCC in case someone wants to get it.

Hi Bob!

This book is phenomenal- not only does it capture Efren in picture and word BEFORE he comes to the USA as Caesar Morales but more importantly it's literally a reflection of pool today,
only the names and faces are different so you can tell them apart.
:eek:

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose next you're going to tell me that the other guy isn't Charles Bronson.

Now that you mention it, the author's photo looks a lot like Charles Bronson.
The use of people who look like well known characters has been used by advertising agencies to promote products. So it is within reason to suggest that the likeness of Byrne and Grissim to Hopkins and Bronson was not missed by the promoters of the book.

Why are there sunglasses on Byrne in the photo? It's an inside pool room venue. Pool rooms are not known for being well lit.

"Let's put sunglasses on Byrne so as to hide his eyes. Have him bend over the table to hid his height and place Bronson, I mean Grissim slightly to the rear. Get the wardrobe people to dress these guys up like Hopkins and Bronson."
I would not bet that it did not occur.
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren.........................

Isn't this the book where he talks about this cat in the Phillipines that could really play? Turns out that he saw Efren play before ER came stateside. Cool book. Somehow lost my copy.