John Robinson Cues

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a couple of the late John Robinson cues.
I wasn't planning on a new cue but I couldn't help myself once I hit with it!
I have since modified a Revo as I have 18 months with the shafts and prefer to stay with them.

Honestly, I knew very little about John's cues except for noticing one every now and then.
I was somewhat hesitant years ago due to the reverse joint but this time I pulled the trigger.

I have read the impressive write-up on Blue Book and I would like to know any information other may know.
https://bluebookofpoolcuevalues.com/Pool_Cue_Values/Pool_Cue_Manufacturer.aspx?id=ROBINSON_CUES

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,506
Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Those are really nice cues
I especially like the first one.

I believe his son was posting pics of his custom guitars here on AZ a few months ago
Very impressive guitar work

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are really nice cues
I especially like the first one.

I believe his son was posting pics of his custom guitars here on AZ a few months ago
Very impressive guitar work
Yes, I agree...the Cocobolo may very well become my main shooter.

I noticed in the blue book writeup that his son made some nice guitars and that he did inlays with John. Somewhat surprised he didn't continue the cue trade; however, I suspect it has to be a labor of love. Hell, it can spend a complete weekend on one set of joint protectors and still not be happy with them.

Last edited:

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the thread where Greg posted some pics of his guitars and some cues:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?468568&p=6075517

Thanks Bob,
I have read everything here that the "John Robinson" and "Robinson" search would pull up. While doing so, I noticed John got input from a few other builders and people that had visited his shop. Figured I would post for information not here already; with the exception of blue book, google simply points me back here.
I apparently missed that Greg was still building cues; he didn't leave the previous website up or much else pointing back to Robinson Cues.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking cue, and probably as important, it looks nice with the black revo shaft. The joint design really blends it in nicely with the rest of the cue.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was very fortunate to of had some conversations with Mr. Robinson. He was very nice and a great Cue maker.

IMG_20180830_093217.jpg
IMG_20180830_093204.jpg
IMG_20180830_093228.jpg

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Yes, I agree...the Cocobolo may very well become my main shooter.

I noticed in the blue book writeup that his son made some nice guitars and that he did inlays with John. Somewhat surprised he didn't continue the cue trade; however, I suspect it has to be a labor of love. Hell, it can spend a complete weekend on one set of joint protectors and still not be happy with them.

The cocobolo is my favorite Robinson cue, and the cue Mike Webb posted is equally as cool.

When John's son posted his guitars it got me interested in the guitar after 20+ years,
and I even took 3 old guitars in for some repairs.
Hadn't had them out of their cases since the 90's.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was very fortunate to of had some conversations with Mr. Robinson. He was very nice and a great Cue maker.

Amazing cue Michael.
Yours is obviously a step of two up from mine.
Can't believe there is so little information and/or availability.
Somewhat, second guessing using mine as a player...but damn it hits good.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Amazing cue Michael.
Yours is obviously a step of two up from mine.
Can't believe there is so little information and/or availability.
Somewhat, second guessing using mine as a player...but damn it hits good.

Thank you. It belongs to a friend. It had leather. It now has linen that I finished over. Looks like jet black ebony. :thumbup:
Don't hesitate playing with it. Play with it. They play great. As far as info on Robinson cues. John was always nice to me. He let his cues speak for themselves. I was a fan of his. I will always be a fan if his work.

GoHome760

Registered
Hey.. my family has been collecting Robinson cues for about 15 years now and had some of the fancy ones built by John and a few later ones built by his son!! Great work and great family! Between my dad, my brother and me we have about 5-6. They are our regular players and have a few in the safe! The look and playability is second to none in my opinion.

My question is how did u modify a review shaft to play on a Robinson??? That is awesome and something that I would love to see and possibly own..Thanks for posting about their cues. They definitely deserve more attention!!!

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey.. my family has been collecting Robinson cues for about 15 years now and had some of the fancy ones built by John and a few later ones built by his son!! Great work and great family! Between my dad, my brother and me we have about 5-6. They are our regular players and have a few in the safe! The look and playability is second to none in my opinion.

My question is how did u modify a review shaft to play on a Robinson??? That is awesome and something that I would love to see and possibly own..Thanks for posting about their cues. They definitely deserve more attention!!!

The Uni-Loc brass insert is long enough already.
I simply turned down the pilot of the Uni-Loc flush to .003" sub-flush of the existing Phenolic collar, then tap using the 5/16x18 tap, and insert a 5/16x18 threaded pin.
I use two 5/16x18 nuts together (like jam nuts) to tighten the pin into the shaft so it stays...therefore, no epoxy or glue is needed.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Uni-Loc brass insert is long enough already.
I simply turned down the pilot of the Uni-Loc to flush to .003" sub-flush of the existing Phenolic collar, then tap using the 5/16x18 tap, and insert a 5/16x18 threaded pin.
I use two 5/16x18 nuts together (like jam nuts) to tighten the pin into the shaft so it stays...therefore, no epoxy or glue is needed.

Be careful with that. Meaning that the screw doesn't loosen and cause damage to both pieces. Also on the same note making the shaft sit lop sided.

Last edited:

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful with that. Meaning that the screw doesn't loosen and cause damage to both pieces. Also on the same note making the shaft sit lop sided.

It's currently torqued in pretty good, but I will keep an eye on it.
Once the two are joined, I see no cause for concern as I mate my shafts/butt fairly firm.
Again, I will keep an eye on it as I am new to the reverse pin.

Long term, I will most likely epoxy the threaded pin in the shaft; first I need to determine if it will be the dedicated shaft.
After the learning curve a few years ago to LD, I would prefer to stay there but I have several 5/16x18 options.

Do you happen to know the Robinson weight both thread; I can't find my thread gauge anywhere.

Attachments

• Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's currently torqued in pretty good, but I will keep an eye on it.
Once the two are joined, I see no cause for concern as I mate my shafts/butt fairly firm.
Again, I will keep an eye on it as I am new to the reverse pin.

Long term, I will most likely epoxy the threaded pin in the shaft; first I need to determine if it will be the dedicated shaft.
After the learning curve a few years ago to LD, I would prefer to stay there but I have several 5/16x18 options.

Do you happen to know the Robinson weight both thread; I can't find my thread gauge anywhere.

I believe the weight bolt is a 5/16x18.