MC: A Couple Thoughts On Jayson & Sky & Matchroom & Fans

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Have been enjoying this 2018 MC and the possibility of Team USA breaking the long drought is especially appealing.

Watching, Jayson on day one acting like a madman after, and sometimes even during, each rack as stated earlier was a bit much for me. I don't know but am guessing that he's aware of some unfavorable response across social media and has toned it down some. I will also guess that Matchroom encourages big emotional behavior as it probably helps with ratings. Adding to my already brimming amount of speculation would be I wouldn't be at all suprised to learn that some of the more outlandishly attired and vocal fans in attendance were placed there by Matchroom. :eek: :ignore: :shocked2: And for the record, if they did plant some of those people in order to increase ratings, I'm perfectly okay with it. Whatever can be done to boost our sport (within reason) is fine with me. :cool:

So, with all of that said, maybe don't be so hard on old Eagle Eye. He's an emotional fellow to start with and perhaps with a little Matchroom encouragement he ran too far with it. Looks like he's getting a taste of humble pie with some uncharacteristic misses and losses, anyway.

Just a quick thought on our boy Skylar. This kid can play like a champ and his demeanor, well, we can all take a lesson watching him, imo. When he messes up he takes his seat and keeps a smile on his face even while probably thinking 'damnit all'. And when a team mate messes up he offers encouragement like "don't worry, it's all good." A lot of class for such a young man and he's playing strong and representing USA in stellar fashion.

best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree about your assessment of Skylar, Brian...he handles himself well.
...although if he hadn’t driven that 7-ball into a rail early in this contest....:sad:
...it would’ve been a 10-5 lead for USA going into the last day....
...but forgivable, we are all human.

But I’m having a little trouble with his hairdo....looks like he was getting a mohawk...
....and decided to tone it down at the last second...:eek:

...pt...fashion consultant to the stars

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a fan of the celebrating before at least finishing the rack... was nice to see how well Skylar has been playing lately...hope he can maintain that!

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw Jayson seems to have a feud going on with Shane. He said in a post match interview that Shane thrashes him on social networks and says he can beat him anytime or something like that. I think a lot of his shenanigans are directed at Shane.

Julian

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw Jayson seems to have a feud going on with Shane. He said in a post match interview that Shane thrashes him on social networks and says he can beat him anytime or something like that. I think a lot of his shenanigans are directed at Shane.

Julian

Even more reason for a 2 man tournament with them...…….. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Julian

I understand it was those close to Shane that were saying it....not sure...no FB account.
...the bad blood has been going on for quite a while....spectators will get the best of this,,,
...big money match with Shane and Jayson?
...The Shane-Shaw Redemption.....:slap:

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have been enjoying this 2018 MC and the possibility of Team USA breaking the long drought is especially appealing.

Watching, Jayson on day one acting like a madman after, and sometimes even during, each rack as stated earlier was a bit much for me. I don't know but am guessing that he's aware of some unfavorable response across social media and has toned it down some. I will also guess that Matchroom encourages big emotional behavior as it probably helps with ratings. Adding to my already brimming amount of speculation would be I wouldn't be at all suprised to learn that some of the more outlandishly attired and vocal fans in attendance were placed there by Matchroom. :eek: :ignore: :shocked2: And for the record, if they did plant some of those people in order to increase ratings, I'm perfectly okay with it. Whatever can be done to boost our sport (within reason) is fine with me. :cool:

So, with all of that said, maybe don't be so hard on old Eagle Eye. He's an emotional fellow to start with and perhaps with a little Matchroom encouragement he ran too far with it. Looks like he's getting a taste of humble pie with some uncharacteristic misses and losses, anyway.

Just a quick thought on our boy Skylar. This kid can play like a champ and his demeanor, well, we can all take a lesson watching him, imo. When he messes up he takes his seat and keeps a smile on his face even while probably thinking 'damnit all'. And when a team mate messes up he offers encouragement like "don't worry, it's all good." A lot of class for such a young man and he's playing strong and representing USA in stellar fashion.

best,
brian kc

I agree with you but, to me, the biggest surprise is how well Tyler has handled the pressure. Him getting the ball rolling with the first point for Team USA, was an enormous feat.

The other surprising thing was how bad Kaci played in the early matches. He looked very uncomfortable and not at all like the calm, cool, collected player he normally is.

Hoping to see our boys bring the Cup home today.

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Crowd is showing no class by chanting, singing, and yelling whatever that drowning cat noise is during a players shot. Sometimes being "good for tv" can be bad for the game.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love it. It’s a venue where creating a spectacle is okay. So it’s fun to watch. And if it bites you like it did Shaw, even tastier. I’m not a fan of the audience sometimes making a loud noise on the backswing of a stroke but I love the rest of it. Nothing is disrespectful to me in this event unless someone won’t shake hands. The MC is the professional wrestling of pool. They can come out in spandex and a boa for all I care. “Let me tell you somethin’ Mean Gene...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I agree with you but, to me, the biggest surprise is how well Tyler has handled the pressure. Him getting the ball rolling with the first point for Team USA, was an enormous feat.

The other surprising thing was how bad Kaci played in the early matches. He looked very uncomfortable and not at all like the calm, cool, collected player he normally is.

Hoping to see our boys bring the Cup home today.

Kaci, who practically never missed previously, probably didn't plan for how his "Perfection" tattoo would look against the backdrop of his missing routine shots.

But as they say in the tattoo industry, I'm sure he has "no regerts." :grin:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand it was those close to Shane that were saying it....not sure...no FB account.
...the bad blood has been going on for quite a while....spectators will get the best of this,,,
...big money match with Shane and Jayson?
...The Shane-Shaw Redemption.....:slap:

"GET BUSY SHOOTIN' OR GET BUSY LOSIN' "

That's g****damn right...

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kaci, who practically never missed previously, probably didn't plan for how his "Perfection" tattoo would look against the backdrop of his missing routine shots.

But as they say in the tattoo industry, I'm sure he has "no regerts." :grin:

Yeah after I saw that I was thinking, "And I thought Shaw had an Ego."

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love it. It’s a venue where creating a spectacle is okay. So it’s fun to watch. And if it bites you like it did Shaw, even tastier. I’m not a fan of the audience sometimes making a loud noise on the backswing of a stroke but I love the rest of it. Nothing is disrespectful to me in this event unless someone won’t shake hands. The MC is the professional wrestling of pool. They can come out in spandex and a boa for all I care. “Let me tell you somethin’ Mean Gene...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, was quite pleased to see the Skyler / Shaw handshake yesterday, after Skyler got jumped on by his team mates he made sure he went over to shake hands and Jayson gave a proper respectful handshake (as opposed to some of the avoid eye contact and barely touch hands from previous years).

Great to see passion, but also respect for each other!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On thing I don't understand regarding crowd noise. Why is it in every other spectator sport it is okay for fans to chant, cheer and jeer during moments that require the utmost concentration of the player in order to deliver the desired result? Yet in Pool and Golf, silence is demanded and expected?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On thing I don't understand regarding crowd noise. Why is it in every other spectator sport it is okay for fans to chant, cheer and jeer during moments that require the utmost concentration of the player in order to deliver the desired result? Yet in Pool and Golf, silence is demanded and expected?
Tennis, archery, shooting, badminton, the starting blocks of a road race... silence is common in sports.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tennis, archery, shooting, badminton, the starting blocks of a road race... silence is common in sports.

Thanks for adding the others. But why the silence? Arguably, the hardest thing to do in sports is hitting a baseball: squaring up a round object with another round object that is traveling 90+ mph. This requires the utmost concentration yet the noise levels when trying to achieve this are sometimes astronomical. Why the silence in other sports? I say have at it. Make as much noise as you want.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for adding the others. But why the silence? Arguably, the hardest thing to do in sports is hitting a baseball: squaring up a round object with another round object that is traveling 90+ mph. This requires the utmost concentration yet the noise levels when trying to achieve this are sometimes astronomical. Why the silence in other sports? I say have at it. Make as much noise as you want.

I think it all comes down to sports where the crowd noise drowns out any single comment. Noise is fine in my opinion, but being able to hear fans make direct comments is the distracting part. How many times have we heard the fans address the players by name and make comments about their shoes,etc? At a MLB game, the hitters hear a drowning of noise, not a bunch of singular, personally directed comments.

Ian