Cheap CNC/rotary tailstocks

Cody Cash

Registered
Junk i had one on xzero ended up with a taig bed and tailstock instead.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one and had to return it. The unit was not flat, it had a nice rocking motion to it.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone vouch for whether these cheap units are useless junk or usable junk? The center height is what the doctor ordered for me but options are a bit limited. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Mini-Lathe-Tailstock-Chuck-80mm-For-Rotary-4th-Axis-A-Axis-Router-Machine-/311765921105?hash=item4896b26d51:g:BCQAAOSw~AVYspXe

Take a look at Ebay 151873490871.

I bought one and it replaced the item you showed. The one you pictured is of low quality. You will not like it but I think you will like the one I suggested.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Take a look at Ebay 151873490871.

I bought one and it replaced the item you showed. The one you pictured is of low quality. You will not like it but I think you will like the one I suggested.

I have the one rhino bought, which I got by mistake, and this one(MT2).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/65mm-MT2-Li...is-Engraver-/161872946553?hash=item25b0612579

I prefer the Morse taper because you can easily swap out a new head if you like. I didn't realize my mistake with the second one until I opened the package. Costs 30 bucks for shipping so I just kept it.

I simply pushed the existing pointy thing out and replaced it with an extended pointy thing.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Because I'm not sure a pointy thing reference made sense

Attachments

• 20170307_173414.jpg
    20170307_173414.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 442

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the replies fellows.

I also thought the units with the MT might serve me better, but I'm wanting to keep the center height as low as feasible due to my design. Those units have a taller center line height as well as the one rhino vouched for. The tailstock will be riding on trucks on a linear rail. I'm building another version of the pivoting fixture that DZ built, which means even more height. The Z travel on my machine probably wouldn't be top dog at the adult movie oscars, so Z clearance (primarily for my camera focus) might be an issue.

Knowing the MT units are little better quality, buying one of them and shortening the base to suit sounds like a reasonable option.

Thanks again.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not cheap but the right rotary to get, nothing moves and no need to recheck straightness once on the table.
http://www.automationtechnologiesin...ter/cnc-router-rotational-axis-the-4th-axis-2

That looks great and is cheap if the parts are decent quality. That might have been a good option for me in the beginning even with the prospect of ditching the stepper. But since I already have a Parker Daedal positioning table and a Bison chuck...and made a chuck plate...and bought a linear rail...and...