Any ART Aficionados in the House? (Mosconi Painting)

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the worlds greatest illustrators and artists utilized photographic reference and projectors to accomplish their work.

I'll name one - Norman Rockwell. He utilized the time honored tradition of projecting his photos onto a canvas to trace and then paint. Now, this does not discount his talent and skill. Using this technique is a time saver. You can google the subject.

Before projectors, there were Camera Lucidas (I think that is the term). Look up the documentary "Tim's Vermeer".

I'm guessing this artist is projecting the photo onto a canvas, and working from there once he has an order on hand.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the worlds greatest illustrators and artists utilized photographic reference and projectors to accomplish their work.

I'll name one - Norman Rockwell. He utilized the time honored tradition of projecting his photos onto a canvas to trace and then paint. Now, this does not discount his talent and skill. Using this technique is a time saver. You can google the subject.

Before projectors, there were Camera Lucidas (I think that is the term). Look up the documentary "Tim's Vermeer".

I'm guessing this artist is projecting the photo onto a canvas, and working from there once he has an order on hand.

Excellent post

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Norman Rockwell was an Illustrator by trade. Yes, he was very talented and his work can now be considered fine art or at least folk art. His work very much hit a cord with Americana. Walt Disney's work could also be considered in this relm.

Believe me 1000%. This is not a painting. This man is an artist....a scam artist.

This guys photochop skills are so bad he left out the shadow as has been stated. You can also see scratch marks on the photograph from age. Does anyone see a single brush stroke? No, because there aren't any.

If you want to see some really true "photorealism" paintings, check out the work of American Artist Chuck Close. https://www.widewalls.ch/artist/chuck-close/

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'm guessing this artist is projecting the photo onto a canvas, and working from there once he has an order on hand.
I'm guessing that there is a large room somewhere in China with a bunch of people doing this. Someone on the team looks around for interesting items to paint, gets the image and puts up the auction. Look at the seller's other items -- there are hundreds of images available. Great images. If they get the colors right and the quality reasonable most people will not be able to tell it from an original from six feet away.

I'm considering getting the portrait of Stalin for my brother.:grin-devilish: Or maybe the Virgin Mary -- it's a toss-up. Or maybe this:

CropperCapture[262].jpg

So many choices. Getting it mounted and framed is probably going to cost more than the painting.

I'm pretty sure that if you send them an image, they will make a painting of it. Whether the experiment is worth $100 to you is the question.

My sister-in-law's family used do something similar in the 1950s. Mostly the dad did photography for weddings and such. They offered a service that would take a normal black-and-white portrait photograph and colorize it by hand. This was before good color prints were common. The result had a painting-like feel but was clearly a photo. And they looked very nice.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The artists associated with pool are the Birkbeck twins. Mostly they painted horses for a living but they also did a series of portraits of pool players and some montages. Here is a previous thread:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=261214

Here is their portrait of Fats which was issued as a print (maybe there is an original somewhere):
CropperCapture[263].jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will only add this. I was in Hong Kong a long time ago (1970's) and was walking around a street market. There was a guy finishing a very nice looking painting of an old man smoking a long narrow pipe. As I watched him finish it he put it aside and grabbed another blank canvas (maybe 11"x 14" size approx.) and started to draw the same scene again. I watched in awe as he replicated the first painting in maybe 20 minutes. It was like he had each stroke memorized and I watched this piece of art magically appear one stroke at a time.

These were excellent quality paintings with perfect attention to detail. I never forgot that moment watching a very good artist at work. I tell you this because it is entirely possible that someone is actually painting multiple reproductions of this same photo. I still have my copy of that painting laying around somewhere and will see if I can find it and take a photo and post it on here. I think I paid $10 for it all those years ago.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I will only add this. I was in Hong Kong a long time ago (1970's) and was walking around a street market. There was a guy finishing a very nice looking painting of an old man smoking a long narrow pipe. As I watched him finish it he put it aside and grabbed another blank canvas (maybe 11"x 14" size approx.) and started to draw the same scene again. I watched in awe as he replicated the first painting in maybe 20 minutes. It was like he had each stroke memorized and I watched this piece of art magically appear one stroke at a time.

These were excellent quality paintings with perfect attention to detail. I never forgot that moment watching a very good artist at work. I tell you this because it is entirely possible that someone is actually painting multiple reproductions of this same photo. I still have my copy of that painting laying around somewhere and will see if I can find it and take a photo and post it on here. I think I paid $10 for it all those years ago.

With all due respect Jay, I don't consider that art. It's a craft and a technique with a little showmanship thrown in. There are plenty of "art studios" where they have assembly lines painting the same image over and over. Many times with multiple "artists" or craftsman. You can see many of these oil paintings in the big box stores. Hell, black velvet paintings were even popular for a while and you won't see them hanging in a gallery anywhere.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With all due respect Jay, I don't consider that art. It's a craft and a technique with a little showmanship thrown in. There are plenty of "art studios" where they have assembly lines painting the same image over and over. Many times with multiple "artists" or craftsman. You can see many of these oil paintings in the big box stores. Hell, black velvet paintings were even popular for a while and you won't see them hanging in a gallery anywhere.
So.... I'm guessing you're not a Thomas Kinkade fan.:smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You didn't know that? His resulting very solid bridge gave him a big advantage over the other players. Similarly, Walter Lindrum cut off part of one of his bridge hand fingers because it was in the way. You can see how effective that was for him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MR2vaWyvN0

That's amazing! I never knew that and I saw him play many times and even played him myself once.