Has JD cues fallen out of favor in America?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't care one way or another, but I am curious.

Several years ago when you looked in the For Sale forum, you pretty much saw a Joel Dadivas cue on every page. I just went through the first 25 pages of the forum and didn't see a single one.

FWIW, I own one JD cue w/2 shafts. After more than several years of ownership (probably closer to 10 years) the butt and the shafts both together and apart are not perfectly, but reasonably straight. The cue is very nice looking, even more so since I had a black, stacked-leather wrap installed. The cue does play nicely, nothing exceptional, but I wouldn't kick it out of my case for many cues on the market now.

Here's the weird thing, and I think it may be the reason I'm not seeing or hearing much about Mr. Dadivas's cues anymore. The cue is not the typical .84" at the joint (mine is .69"), making it a poor choice for aftermarket shafts. I heard many of his cues are like this. Plus, I also heard that he sometimes uses non-industry standard pins.

Anyone know what's up and why I'm no loger seeing a market for his cues?

Maniac

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Mayb people like them and dont want to sell em?

Could ask the same thing about those rack runners
Market was flooded with em then when they closed shop
They werent being sold and traded at all

I see jd cues here amd there
I dont see any rr cues

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never really thought they were in favor. Not trying to be a wise guy. There were many available for sale, but that doesn't make them favored. One thing that many people don't like is that they have made copies of many designs. Not similar, but attempted to make them identical. Doesn't sit well with some. Never played with them but have seen them in person. Nice looking. One of those "copies" was the cue to the right in my avatar. Within about 1 month of it being posted in the AZ gallery.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Probably harder to buy them and flip them to league players these days. Think most of them figured out they over spent and could just order directly.

I know that is what most of the JD cues around here were purchased for.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like asking prices are double or more what they were five or so years ago... Who knows if they're selling, though.

Last year, I set myself a $500 limit to get the biggest JD it could buy, and I couldn't get close to as much cue as I needed for the money.

Last edited:

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I love mine. I bought it off E-Bay three years ago. The prices lately are 1/3 more now. Mine was used 2011 model. Thin butt. .845 dia. at joint. 3/8 X 10 stainless pin. 58" 19" balance point.

woLBIai.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I have seen one of his cues in person, but from other posts there are more quality issues with them than from some other of the better PHI cue makers. I think people said they tended to warp a bit due to weather changes when coming over to US and some inlay issues.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
They did early on but no mention of this in his modern cues as of 2014 when i bought my first one
Then my super beauty i sold to an azbilliards member
Which of course highly regrettable

Says hes taking it to the grave with him
Real nice cue

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
When Joel first set up his JD Cue page on Facebook about a year ago. You could search the different price ranges of his cues with examples. Now you can't. My cue in todays prices I figure would be around $900.00. If Ariel Carmeli made it, it would be $3400. I think I paid $450 or $475 shipped. Won't find half the cue I have for less than $600 on E-Bay now.

bigpin22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually think it's quite the opposite! JD makes an amazing cue and people have noticed. His work is more in demand now and the wait to get a cue from him is much longer and the prices have tripled.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
His work is more in demand now and the wait to get a cue from him is much longer and the prices have tripled.

Hmmmm...maybe I should start thinking about selling mine. If I could ask for and receive $900 for my cue, I'd consider that a sound investment tripling my money in just seven years.

Maniac

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys,

Having now gained a small collection of cues by JD, most people now contact him via his JD Custom Cues Facebook page and the demand for his cues has gone up quite alot in recent years also, there are other private cue collectors that are also having JD make them cues fairly regularly now too.

He has increased his prices considerably, but fairly too because you really get your money's worth in one of his cues.

I'm waiting on a few new cues from JD and can't wait until they're finished and shipped.

Cheers

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Hey Guys,

Having now gained a small collection of cues by JD, most people now contact him via his JD Custom Cues Facebook page and the demand for his cues has gone up quite alot in recent years also, there are other private cue collectors that are also having JD make them cues fairly regularly now too.

He has increased his prices considerably, but fairly too because you really get your money's worth in one of his cues.

I'm waiting on a few new cues from JD and can't wait until they're finished and shipped.

Cheers

Excellent. Are any of your JD cues an odd size at the joint?

Maniac

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A member of my league team recently received a new JD cue. I played with it and was quite impressed. The workmanship was first class.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of his cues dont stay straight. Some get lucky , some dont. He might give you alot for the money but its sure not a valid point if the cue ends up crooked.