Expro or ignite? I’m going to buy one.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both are expensive but unfortunately, the dealer won’t let me try one to decide on myself. He says it’s unchalked, once you chalk it you buy it.

So I have to decide one of these two before trying and based on research both shafts have good reviews, I also don’t want to roll a dice because I’ll use this shaft for a very long time.

The thing that I find fascinating is that there isn’t top players winning tournament that are using ex-pro, however there are few top players who are winning tournaments using ignite. I also know that Mika Immonen used expro for 3-4 months and during that period haven’t won much, but then switched to ignite and started winning again, could this be a factor in my decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both are expensive but unfortunately, the dealer won’t let me try one to decide on myself. He says it’s unchalked, once you chalk it you buy it.

So I have to decide one of these two before trying and based on research both shafts have good reviews, I also don’t want to roll a dice because I’ll use this shaft for a very long time.

The thing that I find fascinating is that there isn’t top players winning tournament that are using ex-pro, however there are few top players who are winning tournaments using ignite. I also know that Mika Immonen used expro for 3-4 months and during that period haven’t won much, but then switched to ignite and started winning again, could this be a factor in my decision?

I'm actually very eager to give the Ignite a try, mostly because of the longevity and durability of carbon fiber (Texas summers are rough on cues). That said, Mika's success (or temporary lack of it) shouldn't sway you either way. That guy is a beast but he also has to beat some real beasts to win anything.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite different shafts, Ex Pro still feels like a wood shaft and has a nice natural feedback. Ignite has alot more feel than Revo and there is no superspecial unobtanium tip pad to worry about, but it's still a CF shaft, the feel and feedback is more muted, some players like that, some don't. Ignite has lower deflection than Ex Pro, quite comparable to WX900. The taper is also alot longer than any other Mezz shaft.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Just wait a year to buy and they'll all be around $250.

Since we are in the relatively early stages of CF shafts things will change quickly. Everyone making one today will move on to generation 2, 3 or 4 in the coming years. The next gen may be better (or cheaper) and the original may get cheaper as a result...or the next gens may just be cheaper to make but never as good as the originals we see today driving prices up for first gen examples. It could go either way...or some of each.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can somebody who tried both give me his opinion

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can somebody who tried both give me his opinion

Unless they play like you and like what you like their opinion means nothing.. They all have pretty much the same hit it just comes down to taper. Sorry...your going to have to take a chance and buy one or wait until you get to hit with them to decide what’s right for you.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't judge a shaft because of how a pro does with one. SVB won a ton of money with the RS360 shaft but I rarely saw even APA players use them.

I have an ex pro shaft that I've used on a Schon. It is a great set-up. Of course, never being satisfied with my equipment, bought a radial Becue. I've been committed to that shaft on a Barnhart ever since.

I bought the ex pro shaft as an upgrade on a purchase of a merry widow Mezz cue a while ago, so it wasn't too expensive. At the current retail price of 415, I'd pass. Ignites are not cheap but, if you can get one, you will be able to find a buyer if you want out.

Another criteria to help make a decision would be cosmetic. Do you prefer the look of maple? Does CF look good on your cue, if you even care?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quote different shafts, Ex Pro still feels like a wood shaft and has a nice natural feedback. Ignite has alot more feel than Revo and there is no superspecial unobtanium tip pad to worry about, but it's still a CF shaft, the feel and feedback is more muted, some players like that, some don't. Ignite has lower deflection than Ex Pro, quite comparable to WX900. The taper is also alot longer than any other Mezz shaft.

We have different definitions. I wouldn't put the word muted with most of the Carbon Fiber shafts except McDermott Defy, which has put a lot of effort into dampening the vibration. The ping from most Revos is not muted, IMO.

Freddie <~~~ unmuted

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have different definitions. I wouldn't put the word muted with most of the Carbon Fiber shafts except McDermott Defy, which has put a lot of effort into dampening the vibration. The ping from most Revos is not muted, IMO.

Freddie <~~~ unmuted
My friend hit with my Becue and said that might be the softest hit ever. Uses an OB2 normally.

got-roll-d

Djnjdot@gmail.com
Silver Member
The easiest answer to give is the ignite will be easier to sell if you hate it cause there still back ordered.. my 2 cents

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My friend hit with my Becue and said that might be the softest hit ever. Uses an OB2 normally.

Very soft indeed. Did he try the Defy? They are right there with Becue in terms of soft, muted hit.

oldarpanet

I don't know anything about you or where you are, so this may be completely impractical, but I'd try to find a different dealer.
My local dealer would order both, call me when they are in and shape the tips, and *order* me to try them out on his table. He would insist on it!
He'd try them out, too, so he could better advise his other players, should they ask about them.

Maybe I'm luckier than most...

gunderjj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mezz shafts

I have used both. i am partial to the ignite. that is just my opinion.

i have a local deal that has the same policy, but to get around that just dont chalk the shaft. no big draw shots or follow shots. you can still hit a ball without chalk and get a feel for the shaft you like the best. if the dealer will not let you hit a ball with the shaft unchalked find a different dealer.

I also agree that if you go with ignite and dont like it you can sell it fast and get an ex pro. the ex pro shaft will be easier to find second hand.

Good luck.