Options for lightweight handles

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in the process of building my first cue and am using an old bar cue I had and it's a bit heavy in the butt. What are some lightweight woods I can use as a handle to lighten it up a bit?

I was thinking of laminating the handle with thin strips of two different types of wood. Maybe ash and maple?

I have also thought about drilling the butt out for a weight bolt and just leaving it empty, clearly that's done all the time and is the easier way but I need to build a handle for it either way so thought I would use this as a learning experience.

Thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That old bar cue probably has a hefty weight "bolt" near the end - I say "bolt" because they are often not threaded, just chunks of steel or iron glued into the end. Take care if you start drilling

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That old bar cue probably has a hefty weight "bolt" near the end - I say "bolt" because they are often not threaded, just chunks of steel or iron glued into the end. Take care if you start drilling

Nope, no big weights at the end. It was just the standard bumper screwed directly into the butt.

I should add that I believe the cue bocote, but not sure, maybe I'll post up a pick.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I did say "glued into the end", they are glued up further in the handle, then a wood plug is glued in behind them, then the bumper. You won't see the weight.
It could very well be that there is no weight - take a small "earth magnet" or "super magnet" and slide it along the outside of the cue along the handle. See if it sticks anywhere - if not, you are correct and I'll shut up.
Good luck!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have actually cut the butt up a little bit as I'm going to use the old handle portion as an extension. I think I've cut it in 3 spots so far and no sparks...yet :thumbup: