I'll start

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Besides the size of the table is there any difference between English eight ball tables and Snooker tables? The pockets look radius similar to Snooker tables.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I played on one in Preston....3x6
The cue-ball was undersized....that's how the ball return is handled on a coin-op.
....I checked to see if if said Titleist....all it wants to do is draw.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
The rubber cushion nose does not go all the way round the radius on a UK pool table, they play different.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Besides the size of the table is there any difference between English eight ball tables and Snooker tables? The pockets look radius similar to Snooker tables.

Most English pool table pockets are cut differently from snooker table pockets. It depends on the individual diferent models/manufacturers as to how exacly they are cut but in relative terms they are usually quite a bit more forgiving for shots along the rail.

On the other hand I do remember one particular pool table model (though I can't remember its name) from way back in the early 80's on which the pockets were cut so tight that it was virtually impossible to pot a ball along the rail unless there was a roll on the table to one side and you played it at dead weight. It was a fudger's wet dream :smile:

Most English pool table pockets are cut differently from snooker table pockets. It depends on the individual diferent models/manufacturers as to how exacly they are cut but in relative terms they are usually quite a bit more forgiving for shots along the rail.

Not sure about that. Championship tables like Supremes are brutal - you can't smash balls in down the cushions on those. Obviously the distance to the pocket is generally smaller, so it's easier from that point of view, but you have to time them well or they'll just stick there, taunting you like a little red or yellow minx.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Not sure about that. Championship tables like Supremes are brutal - you can't smash balls in down the cushions on those. Obviously the distance to the pocket is generally smaller, so it's easier from that point of view, but you have to time them well or they'll just stick there, taunting you like a little red or yellow minx.

Not saying I have a huge disagreement with any of that and for sure I wasn't thinking along the lines of any 'smashing' of balls down the rail on either table. However I do remember having a similarly themed conversation on this subject with Selby and others at the Jersey pool festival a few years ago. He certainly thought that the pockets on Supremes were more forgiving than standard snooker pockets and considerably more forgiving than championship snooker table pockets. I tend to agree unless the cut of Supreme pockets has changed a lot in the last couple of years. I last played on a Supreme in one of the Pat O'Kane/Ross McInnes organised Legends Tour events a couple of years ago and it seemed pretty much same as before (though I was half-pished most of the time like everyone else so judgement may be iffy).

Taking on board your good point about the length of shots in itself making it easier though.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
there used to be some old 6x3's that the pockets were slightly bigger than the ball, brutal just brutal.

there used to be some old 6x3's that the pockets were slightly bigger than the ball, brutal just brutal.

Small tables, with small balls and small pockets, is a great grounding in learning the game. It's my pet theory on why Americans are crap at pool.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member

Aye, I remember them too....the model I had in mind and mentioned earlier was basically one of those but 7'. Absolutely no way to pot down the rail without a roll on the table to that side or some kind of fluke bounce off the far knuckle.

Ironically the very first pool tables in bars in the Uk were 7' American cash boxes with absolutely huuuuuggggge pockets and a giant cue ball which weighed about the same as three bags of cement. If you were any kind of player at all there was more danger of tripping and falling head first into one of those pockets yourself than missing a pot. Moving the cue ball around was quite another matter though :)

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the info! I would love to try the game but living in the middle of the States it is not likely.

mal255

Registered
I'm from the UK. Blackball is the current game of choice which removes the tactical foul element from the game. It's good fun. I played on the UK Pro Tour about 10 years ago and the tables were built at the Hilton Hotel venues that I think are still used and they were perfect. The cue ball might be smaller, but it's only slightly smaller. This makes draw easier, however, you still have to shoot it right! There are uk 8 tables in just about every club in the UK, normally pay for the light as you would expect.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I'm from the UK. Blackball is the current game of choice which removes the tactical foul element from the game. It's good fun. I played on the UK Pro Tour about 10 years ago and the tables were built at the Hilton Hotel venues that I think are still used and they were perfect. The cue ball might be smaller, but it's only slightly smaller. This makes draw easier, however, you still have to shoot it right! There are uk 8 tables in just about every club in the UK, normally pay for the light as you would expect.

Who knows? I might get a chance to give the game ago since my youngest son will be living in London going to college next fall. Time will tell.

Ian-MMTV

Registered

hmm i wonder if i know this mel guy then :)

rhys@pooltabler

Registered
U.K. Pool

Besides the size of the table is there any difference between English eight ball tables and Snooker tables? The pockets look radius similar to Snooker tables.[/QUOTE

Decent snooker tables are better made. Usually come standard with better quality rubber, also thicker slates which don't worp. Also made of hard wood not mdf. The ball sizes on a snooker table are 2" 1 /16th on pool they are 2"

You will also find snooker usually has much better quality cloth from your average pub table.

www.pooltablerecovers.com