using a caliper question

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
when measuring the shaft diameter do i use the point of the caliper (thats what i do now )
or do i use the line where the bevel ends?
thanks for your replies any any other suggestions for exact measurements
calipers 2.png

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
use the part past the point where its more flat. can be more accurate for someone that has limited use
with them

Ed P

Registered
To me it depends. If it is truly a finished shaft with taper, I would use the narrower portion. This way I get a more accurate measurement. If the object is straight, then the wider section is preferred. Have to keep in mind your objective and what you are measuring.
Good question and best of luck. Ed Petersen

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
When I was doing my Tool & Die apprentiship, one of the guys who was my teacher, shop Forman, and problem solver use to use a Gun cleaning patch between the measuring surface of his Microcomenters, and Calapers. When they were stored, just snuf in the jaws.

Reason was it kept particals or dust, dirt, etc., off the measuring surfaces. We were doing close tollorence work, sometimes within 1 or 5, 1/1,000th of an inch.

Back then a good Dial Calapers was like $75.00 or more, so you did not want to have to replace. It was almost a weeks pay.

Today for what you need, Calapers are cheap, just check the ZERO before each use, and you will be fine. Keep measuring surfaces clean with a soft cloth to remove dust, etc.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
when measuring the shaft diameter do i use the point of the caliper (thats what i do now )
or do i use the line where the bevel ends?
thanks for your replies any any other suggestions for exact measurements
View attachment 553595

I've always used the wider part of the faces and measure it a couple times. Soft pressure to make sure the jaws are seated square and not cocked at an angle which will give you a false reading. I've always felt when measuring softer materials like wood and plastics the thinner edge may have a tendency to sink in and possibly leave a mark if cocked to the side also. If I measure twice and get two different readings I'll try it again to triple check.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use the flat part for most measuring. I use the ground ends for measuring grooves and scratching lines to find exact centers when drilling holes on a drill press or mill.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use the flat part for most measuring. I use the ground ends for measuring grooves and scratching lines to find exact centers when drilling holes on a drill press or mill.

thanks for the reply