Final Thoughts on 2014 Mosconi Cup

J.W.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"People who collect a paycheck for the event have opinions that are probably a little biased".

Really Richardson?
I trust you are not referring to me or Mark Wilson. He worked all year bringing his team together for a weekend payday and I Sir have not missed one Mosconi Cup. So you must know that I get paid regardless of who the captain is on either team.
What a very silly thing to say.

J.W.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, my last post on this subject.
I'm a big fan of Darren and in fact the whole European team.
BUT would I bet them against Shane in a race to say 50 - not unless I'm wearing somebody else's pants.
And I expect if there is anyone out there that would be willing to test that theory, maybe you Satori, Shane is quite easy to find.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
"People who collect a paycheck for the event have opinions that are probably a little biased".

Really Richardson?
I trust you are not referring to me or Mark Wilson. He worked all year bringing his team together for a weekend payday and I Sir have not missed one Mosconi Cup. So you must know that I get paid regardless of who the captain is on either team.
What a very silly thing to say.

My point which you very clearly have backed up is. You're not gonna bad mouth anything regardless because you collect a check for doing this and are not going to jeopardize that. I do not have a problem with Mark Wilson at all and have known him for many years.

You're not getting mad because I stated an opinion are you?

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
OK, my last post on this subject.
I'm a big fan of Darren and in fact the whole European team.
BUT would I bet them against Shane in a race to say 50 - not unless I'm wearing somebody else's pants.
And I expect if there is anyone out there that would be willing to test that theory, maybe you Satori, Shane is quite easy to find.

None of them want to play SVB a race to 50 for any amount of money. We get that, Nick tried him last spring (race to 30) and got ROBBED.

J.W.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone is fully entitled to an opinion. You obviously don't know me and I certainly am not going to enter into anything to give what you say any credibility. I'm a fan of the sport, always have been. When you have been involved in cue sports as long as I have you better be. You've said nothing to make me mad at all, you just have an opinion and you own it.
Hey at least we agree on SVB............
Enjoy the rest of the day.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim everyone says you're the best commentator, and you did another great job this year. Thanks for what you do.

On Mark, I bet no one will be harder on him than himself. This was an absolutely crushing, humiliating defeat. Last year was the only one worse. Some people said that it was closer than the score indicated - I think it was worse than the score indicated.

You have to say, as much as it hurts, that whatever he was trying to do absolutely failed. I don't know what that means for next year, but I think taking a cold hard look at the truth is the first step.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the report. I really enjoy watching the MC every year. I wish it was done a couple times a year and have an asian team in the mix somehow also. The US team did not bring their A game but so it happens in short races sometimes. The stream and everything else was top quality. thanks

ChrisWoj

Just some one eyed guy.
Silver Member
Lol, Hey Satori ever hear of an athlete named Jesse Owens?
He actually beat the horse giving it a 20 yard head start back in 1948 in California.
:)

Jim
No he didn't. He only ever beat a horse in a rigged race - the horse being startled by the starters gun gave him the jump on it. A human *can* beat a horse in a 100M race, it has happened - the horse's greater mass allows the human to get up to speed quicker, but the horse is always gaining fast at the 100M mark. But Owens? He never won without the jump. All eye-witness accounts of the Owens race state that he did not give it a 20 yard head start, those accounts were all second-hand.

EDIT: I just noted that the conversation continued and someone else brought this all to a close. :) My bad.

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2014 mc

Jimmy,

Great report and insight.

Most can not imagine the 'energy and intimidation' of a venue like that.

Just ignore some of the distractions that come up in these threads. Some people don't understand how their statements might be understood. Sometimes that is intentional and sometimes it is accidental.

I just hate when good people are needlessly attacked.

Have a great holiday season- say hi to family.

Good luck with new club.

Mark Griffin

ChrisWoj

Just some one eyed guy.
Silver Member
So considering what he was doing concurrently - is there a chance we see some Danny Smith consideration for the team next year? I don't even know the format, so I don't know if he's got the ideal game for this or what... Still a newb to following this game. :)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best part is the haters have zero say in what goes on
and who gives a flying F:;k what Shane can do outside the MC its irrelevant yes we all know he's a long distance stakes horse but he's a cheap claimer in short races
And the MC is never going to long races

pk249

Registered
I too had the pleasure of being there for all four nights, and can honestly say it was the best sporting event I've ever attended. Whilst the crowd was boisterous at times and inevitably pro-Europe, the underlying sentiment was a love for pool and the Mosconi Cup.

The U.S. players and Mr Wilson et al did you guys proud; John Schmidt leaning over the hoarding to tell Justin B the crowd wanted him to "give us a wave" is something I shall remember for some time. Fantastic camaraderie.

Stick to the plan Team USA.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have to say, as much as it hurts, that whatever he was trying to do absolutely failed. I don't know what that means for next year, but I think taking a cold hard look at the truth is the first step.

If all that Mark was attempting to do was win at all costs, then yeah, it didn't work.
On the other hand, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
(Mark can't make the shots for you. What more could he have done ?)
But winning the game was not the only goal. As Jim said, pool won, and for once, the u.s. did well to help that cause, not hinder it or shame it.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree for the most part..,

I wanted to address a few points from an inside perspective if you will.

The younger players will be that much better for this event and trust me, they will tell all of their friends and anybody that asks them that they have no idea what its like over there, none. Words can't describe the feeling these guys lived in real time. And John Schmidt was as classy as any USA fan could ever have asked for
His performance was muted by the format and that is the simple truth. A man can beat a thoroughbred horse in a 100 yard dash, stretch it out a bit and good luck to that man. Shane is a thoroughbred - period!

Its tough to explain but I can only put it down to the fact that team Europe gel and accept the team event

All the very best over the holidays. Health and Prosperity to all!

Jim Wych
Great job in the booth, good luck on your new room.

Your right the game of Pool was the real winner here, no matter the outcome, because the Euro's win builds a stronger contingent of fans for the game over there and that still translates to a gain for Pool, even over here.

We have some good players, we just have to many "Near Pro Players" and not enough "Pro Players". We should rethink our expectation and realize that if we put a team together that gets close and provides some entertainment, we've done good based on the players we can put on the field.

The Euro's can bring 3 maybe 4 full 5 man teams. We cant put together 1.

The USA has 3 guys that can play consistent "Pro Level Pool" - SVB, ARCHER AND RODNEY and until we bring up more players from the amateur ranks, we cant win.

Lots of young guys in the Hunt, maybe next year?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thank you J W, one of the best posts on this forum since it ended. Thank you for the post and your take on this MC and the future ones. Johnnyt

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got it right!

"In spite of his fame on his return from Berlin, Owens struggled for money and began to participate in stunt races against dogs, motorcycles and even horses during halftime of soccer matches and between doubleheaders of Negro League baseball games. Owens would start 40 yards ahead of his equine competitors before sprinting for 100 yards, and he would often win by a nose. “People said it was degrading for an Olympic champion to run against a horse,” Owens said, “but what was I supposed to do? I had four gold medals, but you can’t eat four gold medals.”

I don't mind the analogy, but the way you stated it is wrong. Being correct always helps to tell the right story :)

Jessie Owens found the same fate that almost all Black Men day of his day, regardless of his Greatness he was not respected or accepted as a equal and definitely not as a superior in his own country.

He was relegated to side show circus acts, but he never lost his dignity.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...he nor his team mates didn't quit on the team philosophy at any time and THAT is why Mark Wilson picked them. They brought respect and honor to the sport and that is where it all needs to start again.
Jim Wych

Thank you, Jim, for the inside scoop.

Forget the final score.
Team U.S.A. WON because they made huge steps toward a brighter future for U.S. pool.

Anyone who continues to complain about the Mosconi concept and product have little idea of what their talking about.

I said this before and I will say it again....the only goal this year for the team was to ENSURE they acted professional regardless of the final tick. THEY DID.
Enough said.