Final Thoughts on 2014 Mosconi Cup

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree for the most part, but...,

None of them want to play SVB a race to 50 for any amount of money. We get that, Nick tried him last spring (race to 30) and got ROBBED.

I agree that SVB plays better than anybody on the Euro team, but I think we have to find a way to develop tournament players, not just gamblers. I think that most of the American players on the team would hold up well in action against the Euro;s, but this aint action and it takes a completely different approach to win in tournament play.

Mosconi himself was not a total action guy, SVB has mastered both sides of the game, but he is unique.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If all that Mark was attempting to do was win at all costs, then yeah, it didn't work.
On the other hand, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
(Mark can't make the shots for you. What more could he have done ?)
But winning the game was not the only goal. As Jim said, pool won, and for once, the u.s. did well to help that cause, not hinder it or shame it.

I'm sure you'll get a chance to talk to him on your show soon. I look forward to what he says, and I doubt he'll sugar-coat it at all.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
, but I think we have to find a way to develop tournament players, not just gamblers.

but this aint action and it takes a completely different approach to win in tournament play.

I agree with you. This is why i made a new thread suggesting we have qualifiers with the MC rules in place. Made them play touraments to prove they have earned a spot on the team.

TheTalentASP

Registered
Leading in a team environment can be taxing on your game. You get involved in every stroke, pot, and miss of your team. When it is time for you to go up and shoot, you can be emotionally and physically spent. It takes time to learn how to fade those emotions in that environment. Shane will figure it out. It was his first time in the leadership position and it is something that is definitely learned through experience. Congrats to team USA! They acted with honor and respect. And as much fun as it is to watch Earl, I think in this event this is the direction we need to be heading. Congrats again to team USA and can't wait for next year.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
I was very happy with specifically Justin Hall, who when he won his singles match walked straight over to I believe Karl Boyes and shook his hand. Then walked over to him team and celebrated.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
OK, my last post on this subject.
I'm a big fan of Darren and in fact the whole European team.
BUT would I bet them against Shane in a race to say 50 - not unless I'm wearing somebody else's pants.
And I expect if there is anyone out there that would be willing to test that theory, maybe you Satori, Shane is quite easy to find.

none of these idiots will bet that water is wet. I offered to let them have Darren in a race to 5, which is the best shot Darren or anyone else has of beating Shane, and none of them wanted the action. No way will any of them bet on a race to 50, nor will anyone else for that matter.

JC

Coos Cues
I really hope he is not captain for 2015 definitely does not deserve it after the way he selected this years team! How bout Tony Robles or joe tucker

And I really hope this is the last negative post I have to endure about the event and Mark.

JC

Hawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim, great job at the Mosconi.
How about a SVB vs. Daz match as part of a grand opening to your new club?

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
please get Darren to commit to playing Shane a race to 50 and you can bet what you like. $10,000 minimum

Forget about a race to 50. I want to see the pressure on every second. I want to see who is able to play their best when the mental and physical game is required to be at its peak at all times. And don't say the rolls make the difference. The roll that made a difference the other night was the six and nine rolling right smack dab into the rail because he choked. What was that again the ninth time in a row? Yeah rolls huh. lol

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
Got back home and wanted to share some of my thoughts on what in my opinion, was one of the best Mosconi cups ever. The event gets better every year and it amazes me how Matchroom and SKY Sports continue to put forth this kind of effort year after year and find ways to make this event the best on the planet, bar none.

I wanted to address a few points from an inside perspective if you will.

Firstly, I honestly believe in all of my 21 years attending and working at this event, that the USA is making the right moves towards securing a brighter future for their sport in America. The Varners, Stricklands and Archers have laid a foundation that the younger players now have to build on. Anybody that doesn't think these players who represented the USA didn't deserve to be there just needed to see what I saw. And remember "experience is what you get when you needed it". The younger players will be that much better for this event and trust me, they will tell all of their friends and anybody that asks them that they have no idea what its like over there, none. Words can't describe the feeling these guys lived in real time. And John Schmidt was as classy as any USA fan could ever have asked for, he never once refused to support the team or be there for encouragement. Of course he didn't play his game, hardly any of the Americans did, but he nor his team mates didn't quit on the team philosophy at any time and THAT is why Mark Wilson picked them. They brought respect and honor to the sport and that is where it all needs to start again.

With regards to Shane and his performance over there. Have you ever seen Shane getting out of his chair and talking to his fellow players like that before, ever? He bought into what Mark has selling and that was clearly shown. He racked balls for the players for hours and helped them all work on the break. He became a leader there, not a role Shane has ever had in a Mosconi Cup. But he will grow into it and make every American proud, just wait and see.
His performance was muted by the format and that is the simple truth. A man can beat a thoroughbred horse in a 100 yard dash, stretch it out a bit and good luck to that man. Shane is a thoroughbred - period!

Its tough to explain but I can only put it down to the fact that team Europe gel and accept the team event concept a bit better than the USA does. This is something that Mark and his team will certainly be addressing from today on. But it will be addressed make no mistake.

But the sport of pool was the winner here and for that we just have to thank Matchroom Sport and Sky TV. If we had more events like this in a calendar year how easy would it be to sell this game to corporate America.

Next one looks to be back in Vegas. I expect preparations will be starting for Mark Wilson very soon in 2015. I hope all the fans in the US can get behind him and his team as they start the next journey. Its a process and I for one like the way the building blocks are starting to form.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and I hope that by sharing mine I have shed a bit more light on things. Being there allows one to see a bit more than what TV might allow. They don't call it the Tower Circus for nothing - thats something I learned.

And finally a shameless plug for my new club set to open in about a weeks time. It is called the Corner Bank and will be located in Toronto. It boasts three - 12 food screens, sixteen - 60 inch tv monitors, a 60 foot bar along with 28 Diamond tables and 8 professional snooker tables all waiting to be occupied. If your ever up that way stop in for a beer and a game.

All the very best over the holidays. Health and Prosperity to all!

Jim Wych

jim, you're probably the best announcer cue sports have ever had, a true gentleman and a great role model for the sport, thanks for the insight and good luck in your new club.

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
And I really hope this is the last negative post I have to endure about the event and Mark.

JC

i agree with you, but im gonna have to give tony robles a shut out, the guy is as genuine as they come and can get a team behind him. I don't doubt mark wilson as a captain though, he picked five pro's and they didnt come through, not really his fault. and as the mets motto goes, theres always next year:thumbup:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We dont have an A Team

We brought our B team and got crushed by their C team.

Pick our best players and you might see something next year.

We have some good players, we just have to many "Near Pro Players" and not enough "Pro Players". We should rethink our expectation and realize that if we put a team together that gets close and provides some entertainment, we've done good based on the players we can put on the field.

The Euro's can bring 3 maybe 4 full 5 man teams. We cant put together 1.

The USA has 3 guys that can play consistent "Pro Level Pool" and that's it, SVB, ARCHER AND RODNEY.

Lots of young guys in the Hunt, maybe next year?

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
Glad you enjoyed yourself back in Blackpool again Jim. The last time I saw you there we left you passed out arse up in the skip behind the old ASDA after we'd done a runner with a carry-out from the off-licence, do you remember? Happy days eh? What a night that was - Bill Werbeniuk could certainly sup a few couldn't he? I can still see you now, with just your feet sticking out of the skip echoing to the sound of you trying to spew up your duodenum.

Come to think of it, it was either you or my auntie Doris, I forget which. Cast your mind back Jim. It's 1986/7ish - the Blackpool Classic. We've just been expelled for mooning The Bishop of Carlisle in the bar at the Norbreck Castle Hotel. Were you wearing a pair of pink furry slippers?

Boro Nut

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Forget about a race to 50. I want to see the pressure on every second. I want to see who is able to play their best when the mental and physical game is required to be at its peak at all times. And don't say the rolls make the difference. The roll that made a difference the other night was the six and nine rolling right smack dab into the rail because he choked. What was that again the ninth time in a row? Yeah rolls huh. lol

Are you willing to put up money on Darrens side? If not, then kindly back out of the conversation because you have no say.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Appleton already said on TAR that he won't play anymore lony races with anyone. Johnnyt