Anyone a fan of BAR RESCUE on Spike TV?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
So fake it`s embarrassing!

That's for sure. I cant watch any of those shows, they must have quite a few bamboozled viewers though.

If I had to pick the closest non fake one, maybe overhaulin, the rest of the car fix shows reek of fake. Pawn Stars has my vote for one of the fakest. :smile:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I wonder how many bars that they (fixed) are still going strong 6 months later...I say most of them are not. Just a con job IMO. Johnnyt

Charlie D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many bars that they (fixed) are still going strong 6 months later...I say most of them are not. Just a con job IMO. Johnnyt

Johnny, Updates for the bars featured on the show, Go to the bar rescue page. Some make it, some don't. Charlie D

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Johnny, Updates for the bars featured on the show, Go to the bar rescue page. Some make it, some don't. Charlie D

It's like 8 out of 10 that close. The show lies. Check Yelp for the bar's name.

Almost always its a ditch effort to make some quick money before they actually close up. For a couple weeks after the show airs those bars receive a ton of business.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Almost always its a ditch effort to make some quick money before they actually close up. For a couple weeks after the show airs those bars receive a ton of business.

Well if 25% make it after RESCUE, and thrive that is great. Many go back to old ways, or just can not keep doing for the long term what works.

We lost a lot of Pool Rooms, Bar that catered to Pool. and Sports Bars with a lot of focus on Pool in the Phoenix Metro Area. Because of owners who thought it was neat or in vogue to own a POOL PLACE, or Bar. But that is where their commitment to work their butts off.

Any business that is making it for the long term is because owner ship is involved in day to day operations. Not sitting on their butts drink up profits, and giving away profit to friends.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's for sure. I cant watch any of those shows, they must have quite a few bamboozled viewers though.

If I had to pick the closest non fake one, maybe overhaulin, the rest of the car fix shows reek of fake. Pawn Stars has my vote for one of the fakest. :smile:

Many of these shows actually have settled out of court for the way they have conducted them selves. I believe that is true for Pawn Stars, Storage Wars and Sons of guns.

I didn`t care to google too much, but a quick serach brought me here: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-23/the-reality-tv-dissident-dave-hester-of-storage-wars

Edit. I found some more disturbing news:
http://www.wbrz.com/news/red-jacket-ceo-trying-to-escape-hayden-sex-scandal/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/robert-farago/red-jacket-firearms-fires-will-hayden-over-child-sex-allegations/

Last edited:

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bar rescue: premises, especially kitchen are absolutely filthy. Bar staff don't know how to make drinks and kitchen staff don't know how to make food or know anything about sanitary food conditions. Has there ever been any different?

So what would pool hall rescue feature, ripped cloth, missing cues, no rakes and lousy food?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You`re quite right. I don`t have the facts for Bar Rescue, but I`ve seen statistics from Gordon Ramsays Kitchen Nightmare series, and there is in reality very, very few restaurants Mr. Ramsay manages to save.
I`m not trashing Mr. Ramsay, he`s an excellent chef, truly world class. But the program is all bullshit!
The original Kitchen Nightmares series filmed in England was much more genuine, but even there quite a few of the restaurants featured on the show went belly up.

I`m not really having a go at Mr. Ramsay, Mr. Taffer or other similiar tv stars.
The restaurant and bar business is notoriously hard to make money in. I have spent almost 15 years of my life in that world. I have worked as a chef, bartender/mixologist, barista, butcher etc. so I know this business pretty good.
I have seen people get lucky and I have seen people fail in this business.
Even the best laid plans, from the most sincere people can fail. This industry is so sensetive to fluctuations in the economy, there is almost no wiggle room, unless you have a rich backer, who don`t mind pouring money into a black hole.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
About going to some poolhall and offering my services to turn their business around on a 6 month plan.

I took over a bar in 1986. There had been about 9 people had been in there in 5 years trying to make it.

I not only made it but when I bought the building about 3 years later I had to pay about 3 times higher than if I did it right away.

I became the pool shootingest bar for miles around. Leagues, tournaments, softball teams, dart teams and so many other things that we did.

People want entertainment today especially. The days of just opening up something and it making money are done.

I go into a poolhall as I traveled around the country teaching and playing and look at the mistakes they are making. But you had to almost be in the business to see this.

Gary Lutman for one would know what I mean.

I thought about doing this but I don't think any pool hall would be willing to pay what it would take to do this. they would just not believe that it could make that much difference.

It would be a 6 month project for sure and I don't think I want to spend that amount of time in one place. I want to keep moving and teaching/playing.

It would make a good show but it would not be as easy as bar rescue though. it would be 6 months of grinding, building up league(Knowing how to do it) and keeping customers once they come in the door.

Just making it pretty would not do it.

Well a 6 month plan is a good plan, but besides times you need money to promote, money for basic paint & repairs, and management who understand there is noting cool about owning a bar.

Owning a Bar or Pool Room, Pool Bar, or Sports Bar with Pool is a business, should be run & managed like you care, and want to make money.

Not run like something that is cool to have a day or two a week, and ignored the rest of the week.

Over 100 Bars with Pool. Room Rooms, and Sports Bar with pool have shut their door in the last 24 months. Poor Management & Owners who did not care were contributing factors in the majority of the place that closed.

I expect the trend to continue because the economy still has not recovered in the Valley of the Sun, and many owner still do not understand basic business practices 101.

Owners of Bars with Pool. Room Rooms, and Sports Bar with pool could learn a lot, or glean a lot of free information from watching BAR RESCUE. IMHO

Last edited: