Straight Pool Challenge High Run Updates?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's obvious that the Derby City folks don't care about this event at all. They probably view it as more of a nuisance at worst and at best -- it's viewed as another vendor.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCC tends to spread themselves way to thin as far as scheduling goes. The three main events and the Bigfoot will always come before the 14.1 deal for both fans and players.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Bobby Jones won all his championships with the smaller ball, correct?
Playing golf in Oklahoma(you think the Scots have wind!!) we used to buy those cheater Polara balls to use when it really howled. Those bad boys cut thru the wind like a knife. Good for putting too as they make the hole bigger.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really hope this event continues. If scheduling conflicts with a tournament during the DCC maybe it could run the day after and the winners would be happy to stick around an extra day or two if they had guaranteed money locked up.

I didn't make it this year but the straight pool challenge is one of the real reasons I'd attend. That may seem strange, I'm sure I'd have fun playing the main events and all of that. But while I may not be able to win the straight pool tournament, I have a legit chance of putting up a run big enough to qualify for the tournament. I'd love to bust out a 114 or something and have my name on that list. I've been practicing straight pool every day because I love the game, and secretly I've been hoping for this chance. If that goes away the DCC half drops off my radar.

What can you do? Straight pool has been fighting for a long time. We can always practice in our basements...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just how difficult could it be for someone to obtain and set up a table like the one Mosconi set the record on? Same cloth, same balls, etc. Not very, if you ask me (assuming one has that model or knows the whereabouts of one).

Work out a deal to bring it to DCC and charge people (amateurs and pros, alike) $50 (or something of the sort) for three attempts. Maybe charge amateurs less than pros.

I would think you could make money.

Work out a percentage for the high-run winner and a bonus for anyone who beats Mosconi's record.

Whomever set the event up could get the rights to the video of the record being broken (if that happened).

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Just how difficult could it be for someone to obtain and set up a table like the one Mosconi set the record on? Same cloth, same balls, etc. Not very, if you ask me (assuming one has that model or knows the whereabouts of one).

Work out a deal to bring it to DCC and charge people (amateurs and pros, alike) $50 (or something of the sort) for three attempts. Maybe charge amateurs less than pros.

I would think you could make money.

Work out a percentage for the high-run winner and a bonus for anyone who beats Mosconi's record.

Whomever set the event up could get the rights to the video of the record being broken (if that happened).

Are you listening Jay H?

Gotta be more than 3 tries. Think it's a good format now
Jason

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Seems like the fairest way to split it up would be based on the high runs. The higher the run the greater the percentage. Why else are they trying to make a high run if a run over 200 is only worth the same as a low 100 ball run. That seems a bit unfair to me to the players who have excelled this week. It could also spell the end of the 14.1 Challenge.

There are daily and event high run prizes so a high run over 200 is usually worth more than a low 100 ball run. Dennis made $1300 extra on the day he ran 227. Ruslan made $300 for his 182, JS $300 for his 183. A total of $3,400 is up for grabs in the high run part of the prize fund.

Once the final eight are chosen, each has an equal chance for first place. When the venue made it impossible to play, the only fair thing to do was to split the pot 8 ways and give it to the players.

Last edited: