Do I really need a 60"+ light for a 9 foot table?

NYCnoob99

Registered
Or is 40-48" good enough? There is a difference between ideal and good enough, and I am trying to understand where that line is. Thanks

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want to cover short rail to short rail to avoid shadows and uneven lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An 8' light 45-50" off the playing surface is ideal for a 9' table. I'm using (8) 4' 5000K, 2200 Lumen, 90CRI bulbs with chrome egg crate diffusers.

49726405907_c8b922510b_b.jpg

48356912596_307f68f00a_b.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While "lumens" will get you in roughly the right direction, that is a measure of light output. The distance of the light from the table and reflectors will change how much light gets to the surface of the table. Light intensity is measured in lux which are lumens per square meter of surface at the surface. There is a long thread about lighting for pool tables.

You should have 500 lux minimum at the playing surface and the minimum is usually the corner pockets. Where I play some tables are under 160 lux at the corners.

I think it is better to be fairly uniform, but the eyes tend to even out the differences.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my personal experience at my own home with 9' ceilings, and off-the-shelf 2x4 LED panels from ebay, that cost 150 shipped for qty 2:

1 Panel mounted flush to the ceiling centered over the table will make 90% of serious players happy.

2 panels arranged end to end mounted flush to the ceiling would make the most anal pro pool player happy.

Also in my experience, any 2x4 LED panel blows the water out of any tube type lite, whether it has its original fluorescent tubes, or replacement LED tubes.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my personal experience at my own home with 9' ceilings, and off-the-shelf 2x4 LED panels from ebay, that cost 150 shipped for qty 2:

1 Panel mounted flush to the ceiling centered over the table will make 90% of serious players happy.

2 panels arranged end to end mounted flush to the ceiling would make the most anal pro pool player happy.

Also in my experience, any 2x4 LED panel blows the water out of any tube type lite, whether it has its original fluorescent tubes, or replacement LED tubes.

I started with (2) 1x4 led panels from home depot mounted flush to the ceiling just like you on my 10’ ceiling. It seemed to be fine. However when I purchased a GC light and put in 8 LED tubes after bypassing the ballasts and getting it the optimal height it’s absolutely perfect. My local hall has 4 fluorescents mounted in a housing and I find it dim. Although the eyes do adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 x 8 foot Light

This installation isn't yet finished but it is a good representation of an 8 foot light. Specifically, a 4 x 8 foot light containing four 8' LED tubes in two fixtures. The unit is made by Diamond but honestly, it's nothing more than a shallow box to shroud the light and hold the diffusers in place.

Attachments

• Diamond Light - DUPLICATE - FB Download.jpg
    Diamond Light - DUPLICATE - FB Download.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 341

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 12 foot Snooker table and a 9 foot pool table.

My best combination is two 4’ ‘double tube’ Fluorescent fixture not lengthwise but spaced evenly across the width.

Inexpensive from HomeDepot, etc. Best to get with plugs, instead of hardwiring in...just Put in a socket in the ceiling ( or wherever. Convenient) and plug them in. This way you can also adjust height, position to get them ‘just right’. Also, no brainer fixing them, changing bulbs down the road, etc. Also easy to ‘box it’ and add wood decoration or something to match the setting.

My issue with most LED lights And fixtures is that they are great ‘if’ just right. Often they are not. Also, some can be a pain if ‘fussy’ connections. If you get LEDs pay attention to getting the correct lumens, etc. Friend is an electrician and some of his customers don’t like their LED lights after installed. They ‘think’ they want want a particular LED light but can be tricky choosing.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 12 foot Snooker table and a 9 foot pool table.

My best combination is two 4’ ‘double tube’ Fluorescent fixture not lengthwise but spaced evenly across the width.

Inexpensive from HomeDepot, etc. Best to get with plugs, instead of hardwiring in...just Put in a socket in the ceiling ( or wherever. Convenient) and plug them in. This way you can also adjust height, position to get them ‘just right’. Also, no brainer fixing them, changing bulbs down the road, etc. Also easy to ‘box it’ and add wood decoration or something to match the setting.

My issue with most LED lights And fixtures is that they are great ‘if’ just right. Often they are not. Also, some can be a pain if ‘fussy’ connections. If you get LEDs pay attention to getting the correct lumens, etc. Friend is an electrician and some of his customers don’t like their LED lights after installed. They ‘think’ they want want a particular LED light but can be tricky choosing.

This is the exact reason I did not go with LED.