Remove stubborn chalk spots from cloth

redwolf88

Registered
I tried to do a search and was not successful, as I am sure this question has been asked before.
Anywho !

I have these chalk spots mostly at the head string where most people break both left and right. I am able to vacuum and brush most all the chalk skid marks and even using cloth cleaning foam the spots remain. Looking thru a 32X pocket magnifier I just see some minor chalk spread thru the weave , nothing that looks like caking or just impossible to remove.

Has anyone here have any suggestions or success stories ?

I would try some ideas that I have, but the cloth is new and I would kick myself if any applications would leave any liquid rings or the like.I can live with the spots as I see them on every table I have played on, but the liquid marks / rings would drive me crazy.

thanks in advance !

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking thru a 32X pocket magnifier I just see some minor chalk spread thru the weave , nothing that looks like caking or just impossible to remove.

Seriously? It's a pool table and cloth is a wear item. I think you are being a little OCD about cleaning it. I use a shop vac with a 15" horse hair attachment every 3rd or 4th use. There is never any chalk dust under the cloth when it is time for a re-cloth. Depending on the cloth you have, with regular cleaning you should get 5-6 years in a home environment.

Stop overthinking it and enjoy the table!

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to do a search and was not successful, as I am sure this question has been asked before.
Anywho !

I have these chalk spots mostly at the head string where most people break both left and right. I am able to vacuum and brush most all the chalk skid marks and even using cloth cleaning foam the spots remain. Looking thru a 32X pocket magnifier I just see some minor chalk spread thru the weave , nothing that looks like caking or just impossible to remove.

Has anyone here have any suggestions or success stories ?

I would try some ideas that I have, but the cloth is new and I would kick myself if any applications would leave any liquid rings or the like.I can live with the spots as I see them on every table I have played on, but the liquid marks / rings would drive me crazy.

thanks in advance !

Are you sure that what you’re seeing is chalk, and not cue ball burn marks from breaking...?

redwolf88

Registered
Seriously? It's a pool table and cloth is a wear item. I think you are being a little OCD about cleaning it. I use a shop vac with a 15" horse hair attachment every 3rd or 4th use. There is never any chalk dust under the cloth when it is time for a re-cloth. Depending on the cloth you have, with regular cleaning you should get 5-6 years in a home environment.

Stop overthinking it and enjoy the table!
I use the same method as you, shop vac every other day . But the almost exact same size as a cue tip 10MM spots are never removed. It seems to me that after heavy chalking and a heavy hit from a cue on the break transfers the chalk to the cloth. If that is possible.? What exactly is cue ball burn ?
If it wasn't for hitting the balls around a couple hours a day during this current self isolation. I would go bat shit crazy. I stop watching the news and just been during cleanup around the house and other projects, so I am a little OCD .

So no secret formulas like vinegar and distilled water, woolite or the like ?

If I figure out how to get a pic I will post what these little buggers look like.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the same method as you, shop vac every other day . But the almost exact same size as a cue tip 10MM spots are never removed. It seems to me that after heavy chalking and a heavy hit from a cue on the break transfers the chalk to the cloth. If that is possible.? What exactly is cue ball burn ?
If it wasn't for hitting the balls around a couple hours a day during this current self isolation. I would go bat shit crazy. I stop watching the news and just been during cleanup around the house and other projects, so I am a little OCD .

So no secret formulas like vinegar and distilled water, woolite or the like ?

If I figure out how to get a pic I will post what these little buggers look like.

What kind of cloth do you have and what color?

I'm pretty sure your are referring to burn marks as previously suggested. Burn marks are caused by friction at the point where the cueball touches the table. The break shot and draw shots are the most common offenders due to the speed the ball is hit on the break, the ball sometimes skipping on its way to the stack on the break and the split second the ball spins in place on draw shots after contacting the object ball. This friction causes permanent marks on the table.

redwolf88

Registered
What kind of cloth do you have and what color?

I'm pretty sure your are referring to burn marks as previously suggested. Burn marks are caused by friction at the point where the cueball touches the table. The break shot and draw shots are the most common offenders due to the speed the ball is hit on the break, the ball sometimes skipping on its way to the stack on the break and the split second the ball spins in place on draw shots after contacting the object ball. This friction causes permanent marks on the table.
Worsted Blend Fast Speed Pool Table Cloth 60% wool, 40% acrylic
English green in color quite bright as seen on snooker games on youtube.
no nape feel when you run your hand over it. Just like the pool tables I used to shoot on back in the 60's
bald as the poolroom operator !

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worsted Blend Fast Speed Pool Table Cloth 60% wool, 40% acrylic
English green in color quite bright as seen on snooker games on youtube.
no nape feel when you run your hand over it. Just like the pool tables I used to shoot on back in the 60's
bald as the poolroom operator !

Most likely burn marks. Can you post a pic?

redwolf88

Registered
pic of chalk spots on table cloth

Here are some pics of the chalk spots that won't come out with brushing and vacuuming. My theory is that after a heavy chalking preparing for rack break shot that the chalk transfers from the ball to the cloth like an old time mimeograph paper from the 60's :smile: .

so if any has had any success stories removing these bad boys to share please do so.

first time uploading pics so I hope it works !

Attachments

• DSCF5081.jpg
    DSCF5081.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCF5078.jpg
    DSCF5078.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 289

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Those are pictures of burn marks, not chalk marks.

In the following video you can see a lot of burn marks, they are in the racking area from loading the rack, in the rail grooves, and there is a
stripe going from the left side rail to the head spot from braking. Spots will eventually turn into lines if you break from the same area repeatedly.
Consider the burn marks a badge of honor to the hours you spend practicing.

https://youtu.be/NBHDA9M2J1Q?t=303

Last edited:

redwolf88

Registered
Those are pictures of burn marks, not chalk marks.

In the following video you can see a lot of burn marks, they are in the racking area from loading the rack, in the rail grooves, and there is a
stripe going from the left side rail to the head spot from braking. Spots will eventually turn into lines if you break from the same area repeatedly.
Consider the burn marks a badge of honor to the hours you spend practicing.

https://youtu.be/NBHDA9M2J1Q?t=303
thank you all, for the diagnosis !

redwolf88

Registered
Interesting ! that is rather hot, no wonder it burns.

Just a wild ass guess here , I wonder if you use the teflon treated cloth
that is available today would that mitigate the burn marks some what ?
Anyone out there that has teflon treated cloth can you comment on burn marks.

I probably should start a new thread for that ,as this is so deep into this thread no one would see it.