Best cue ball ever

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Waaayyyyyyy back, in the day, when I began getting serious about pool, the cue ball I used, every day, for YEARS was a blue dot ( "dot" being a misnomer, actually, as it wasn't a "dot", but a "circle" ). Over the years, for whatever reason, they went the way of the Dodo bird, the Tasmanian Devil and the dial telephone. At any rate, if they exist at all anymore, they seem to be very, very rare. Our room has none left and hasn't had for years. I played better with that cue ball than anything since. Maybe just my imagination, but I don't think so. Anyone else share my affinity for this cue ball?"

ivbxndex.jpeg

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Waaayyyyyyy back, in the day, when I began getting serious about pool, the cue ball I used, every day, for YEARS was a blue dot ( "dot" being a misnomer, actually, as it wasn't a "dot", but a "circle" ). Over the years, for whatever reason, they went the way of the Dodo bird, the Tasmanian Devil and the dial telephone. At any rate, if they exist at all anymore, they seem to be very, very rare. Our room has none left and hasn't had for years. I played better with that cue ball than anything since. Maybe just my imagination, but I don't think so. Anyone else share my affinity for this cue ball?"

View attachment 492516

Call it a Blue Circle, for starters, as there was a Blue Dot ... its predecessor. There should be no reason for the misnomer.

The Blue Circle was from the Saluc (Aramith) Brunswick Centennial ball set. The Blue Dot was from the US-made Brunswick Centennial ball set.

I first played pool with the Blue Dot.

Freddie <~~~ has both or more

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Call it a Blue Circle, for starters, as there was a Blue Dot ... its predecessor. There should be no reason for the misnomer.

The Blue Circle was from the Saluc (Aramith) Brunswick Centennial ball set. The Blue Dot was from the US-made Brunswick Centennial ball set.

Yeah, Freddie, hence my disclaimer in parenthesis, as, here at any rate, it was always referred to as a "blur dot", even though there was a real blue "dot", but, for whatever reason, our room only had the circle, not the actual "dot". Thanks for the clarification! :grin: Did you care for it when you ( guessing you did at some point ) played with it?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Every set of Brunswick Centennials uses this ball

Thnx, Ideologist, I wasn't aware of that. And we have some Centennials sets in the room but none of those cue balls. Someone down the line must've "liberated" them. I know it's been many years since I've seen that cue ball. The only cue balls in the room now are red circles and a few measles.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Every set of Brunswick Centennials uses this ball
They used to, not any longer. The blue circle was/are (like the modern measle ball) close to the weight of the object balls. Many other cue balls are either heavier or lighter for various purposes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Michael Andros

Silver Member
They used to, not any longer. The blue circle was/are (like the modern measle ball) close to the weight of the object balls. Many other cue balls are either heavier or lighter for various purposes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I want it back!

And spot shots, too!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The blue circle cue ball that comes with Centennial sets, is unfortunately very hard to find to purchase separately. I love it as well, but the downside I've experienced - it has a tendency to dirty up with chalk marks quicker / worse than about any cue ball I've ever seen. When I'm using it for straight pool practice or a match, I have to mark the cue ball to clean it off seems like every couple of racks.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
The blue circle cue ball that comes with Centennial sets, is unfortunately very hard to find to purchase separately. I love it as well, but the downside I've experienced - it has a tendency to dirty up with chalk marks quicker / worse than about any cue ball I've ever seen. When I'm using it for straight pool practice or a match, I have to mark the cue ball to clean it off seems like every couple of racks.

I never had that issue, at least of which I was aware. Or, maybe I was too young to either care or know the difference! :eek: :grin:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think the original Centennial Cue Ball is just about the best based upon durabilityof the finish,
sheen and weight that seems to be perfectly matched with the other balls in a new Centennial set.
Anyway, for playability & enjoyment, Aramith's Measles Ball is a close 2nd with its close matching specs.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I also think the original Centennial Cue Ball is just about the best based upon durabilityof the finish,
sheen and weight that seems to be perfectly matched with the other balls in a new Centennial set.
Anyway, for playability & enjoyment, Aramith's Measles Ball is a close 2nd with its close matching specs.

I can't for the life of me fade using that measles ball. It makes me cross-eyed. And I'm NOT cross-eyed! :eek:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play one hole with a guy that insists on his blue circle... it does react a little different than my red circle. An actual Aramith measles isn't horrible.. it's the knockoff measles ball that drives me crazy... lighter than the object balls. I think some pool rooms get a few trial sets of balls and cue balls that aren't Aramith, have no idea what they are.

Give me a real set of Centennials and a red circle and I'm happy!

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I play one hole with a guy that insists on his blue circle... it does react a little different than my red circle. An actual Aramith measles isn't horrible.. it's the knockoff measles ball that drives me crazy... lighter than the object balls. I think some pool rooms get a few trial sets of balls and cue balls that aren't Aramith, have no idea what they are.

Give me a real set of Centennials and a red circle and I'm happy!

Red circle is what I use exclusively these days. And the measle ball doesn't bother me performance-wise ( though I've never done more than hit maybe three balls with it, so I have no real point of reference on it in that respect ), it's strictly visual. I just cannot look at it as it rolls.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red circle is what I use exclusively these days. And the measle ball doesn't bother me performance-wise ( though I've never done more than hit maybe three balls with it, so I have no real point of reference on it in that respect ), it's strictly visual. I just cannot look at it as it rolls.

I'm with you there, brother... try going and playing a tournament and they're running a funky set of balls and a knockoff measles! I've seen these sets of balls with dashes around the numbers... not sure what those are.

What's funny is the measles ball was introduced so spectators, and TV viewers could see what the CB was doing... guess what, NO POOL ON TV now!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Guess again. The Blue Circle, as well as the Blue Dot, was from Albany Billiard Ball Company, Albany, New York, not Saluk, Aramith, Belguim. It was sold to Aramith, which is why some of you think it originated there.

All the best,
WW

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 492516

Tasmanian Tiger, the Devil is well and good in Tasmania. Brian.