81 ball run

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
you are back!

All this discussion of other numbers is good. I think, unlike some, you thrive on competition.

you have not beat the number you are aiming for yet. but at least yours has video. :thumbup:

you have been putting up some fair numbers lately. keep it up.

Yoda4962

North Texas
Silver Member
For Marop and Walsh...

Just a quick note to thank you both for all your work at the DCC challenge.

You guys make pool worth all the effort !!!

Hope to see you in Tunica or Vegas.

Y

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
This run starts showing me missing the 6 ball while I was on a 33 ball run, oh well, another hundred not to be :frown:

https://vimeo.com/59212083

-Bill

Bill:

I love your patterns! Great run, and I wish I can hit those higher 70/80 numbers as often as you do! For me, that 78 on New Year's Day was the high for the moment. I hope to break that soon, if I can get out and play more. But alas, Lisa and I are hunkered down for this storm, so watching great videos like yours are a reprieve!

-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Y

Bill and Dennis:

Although I couldn't make it there this time (hope to fix that next year), I want to thank you guys for your time and efforts in not only running the 14.1 challenge, but for someone like me that couldn't be there, to provide videos of various players and runs. Thank again, profusely, from someone that enjoys 14.1 so much that he cannot get enough of it.

The 10-footers definitely posed a challenge to everyone, and when you consider in years past where we had several 100+ ball runs from various players, only one guy -- Stuart Pettman, a snooker professional used to playing on much larger tables -- broke the 100-ball barrier on the 10-footer, and he did it twice.

Would've loved to have seen John Schmidt play on that table, but alas, he couldn't make it this year. But I think -- and I sincerely hope -- that the 10-footer is here to stay, because it will only serve to ratchet-up the level of play.

In your opinion, do you guys think the 10-footer will make a repeat appearance next year?

-Sean

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Y

We do what we can for straight pool. As long as Bill is able to get some photo opportunities congratulating players on their high runs, it is all worth while to him. ;)

I'm thinking we should require video for high run claims. What do you think?

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Butting in

We do what we can for straight pool. As long as Bill is able to get some photo opportunities congratulating players on their high runs, it is all worth while to him. ;)

Is there anyone who doubts my 31 from last year ? I do have a witness though :thumbup:

Wow I wish I had a run high enough to make others envious. Maybe time for a poll guys.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Dennis, I think this is fair. The mark set at 70+ ball runs requiring video proof, to prevent "unknowns" from sliding in here with, say, 120-ball runs out of the blue.

I think 70 is a good number where the video requirement kicks in -- that's 5 racks.

Is there anyone who doubts my 31 from last year ? I do have a witness though :thumbup:

Wow I wish I had a run high enough to make others envious. Maybe time for a poll guys.

Not at all, Lonestar_Jim! We believe you.

I think 70 is a good, clean, round number for the video requirement. (It's a number that's being discussed behind the scenes.)

But a poll seems like a great idea to get thoughts from the entire viewership.

Any thoughts from anyone else about this -- about a poll?

-Sean

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i'm no threat to 70 anytime soon, so this is completely unbiased.

i have a pretty simple video setup -- just my iPhone & an adapter to fit it to a stand. but even then, it's really a pitb to record runs. i think requiring it for runs here will restrict people posting too much.

how about requiring Some kind of proof, though, over some number, like witnesses or video or whatever can be provided? and why not make it the 100 mark?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thoughts on a poll for the threshold at which video proof is required?

i'm no threat to 70 anytime soon, so this is completely unbiased.

i have a pretty simple video setup -- just my iPhone & an adapter to fit it to a stand. but even then, it's really a pitb to record runs. i think requiring it for runs here will restrict people posting too much.

how about requiring Some kind of proof, though, over some number, like witnesses or video or whatever can be provided? and why not make it the 100 mark?

Bob:

Witnesses are a good alternate to video, I think. For example, we believe it when poolmouse witnessed Mike Grosso's high run of 127 balls last year. That's a no-brainer. And if you're in such high profile as, say, Steve Lipsky, when he comes forward with claims of a 180+ ball run, there are witnesses to back him up just via the heavily-populated rooms he plays out of. (I don't think anyone would question Steve, anyway. He's as honest as they come.)

I guess the "number" for the video or witness requirement -- whether that be 70 or 100 or some number in between -- is the question.

I know polls here on AZB are limited to ten (10) choices. How about one of us create a poll that has the following as numbers that people can vote on?

Say, like these:

70 (5 even 14.1 racks)
84 (6 even 14.1 racks)
98 (7 even 14.1 racks)

(The rest of the numbers are round numbers -- e.g. ending in zeros -- that are human-palatable; they're not even multiples of 14.)

Thoughts?
-Sean

P.S.: btw, I have broken 70 -- and 100 for that matter in years past -- but I have no qualms about having my 78 removed because I have no video to back it up. Unfortunately, it's a casualty of the new "vetting" rules that I'll just have to swallow.

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
New Thread

I hope that you all do not mine but I am going to start a new Thread on the subject of runs on video b/c I really do not want to take away anything from Bill's great run. This thread belongs to Bill.
Bill, I have not been able to watch your video as of yet but tonight I know that I do have time. Will post later on. Thanks for posting the video.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope that you all do not mine but I am going to start a new Thread on the subject of runs on video b/c I really do not want to take away anything from Bill's great run. This thread belongs to Bill.
Bill, I have not been able to watch your video as of yet but tonight I know that I do have time. Will post later on. Thanks for posting the video.

I agree.

Sincere apologies to Bill, for the "stream of consciousness" misdirection of his thread -- and of his great run!

-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok Bill, I was able to watch the video to completion.

That TV show you're semi-watching/-listening to, in the background?

"Charlie, I'm OBSESSED with you. You have this quirky thing, that, like is so weird, it's right. You are so, so special. I like your sneakers -- I like that the sneaker make NO SENSE. Like, don't stop being you. Today, you became an artist."

And I'm sitting here, trying to watch your run, trying not to bust out laughing.

And that phone ringing! I tell ya, you have the makings of an anti-sharking defense school in the making there.

Great run, and self-commentary, too! Cracked me up a couple times. Unfortunate about that 1-ball break ball going in the pocket and jumping back out onto the table.

Great stuff -- required viewing!
-Sean

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Ok Bill, I was able to watch the video to completion.

That TV show you're semi-watching/-listening to, in the background?

"Charlie, I'm OBSESSED with you. You have this quirky thing, that, like is so weird, it's right. You are so, so special. I like your sneakers -- I like that the sneaker make NO SENSE. Like, don't stop being you. Today, you became an artist."

And I'm sitting here, trying to watch your run, trying not to bust out laughing.

And that phone ringing! I tell ya, you have the makings of an anti-sharking defense school in the making there.

Great run, and self-commentary, too! Cracked me up a couple times. Unfortunate about that 1-ball break ball going in the pocket and jumping back out onto the table.

Great stuff -- required viewing!
-Sean

Thanks Sean. Watching American Idol and running balls, who would of thought. Just went over the run with John and he was more interested in the show than the run, lol.

-Bill

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have numerous runs of 14 on video. Can I splice them all together in Final Cut Pro for a really respectable high run?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

Bill, just watched the video. Great run. The table played hard on you. The racks were not opening up properly. Which created problems but with great shooting you shot your way out of it and got back on track. Many times my table will do the same and seems sluggish causing the racks to open poorly. Making it so hard to get threw a rack.
I enjoyed watching as always. Keep them coming. Love all your comments......LOL

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he could have

i know im biased bragging on billy because we r super good pals.
its been rare in my career but a few people who just played pool for fun made me think they could have been world class.bills at the top of my list.

ive said this before but after knowing bill for 8 years and finding out that he was a multi world champ drag racer,not because he told me but i googled him because hes to humble to brag.
then i play golf with him and he can on a good day break 80.by the way he plays golf about 4 times a year seriously.

most people never improve at pool or anything else after 50 .billys highrun when i met him was 97 which is awesome.now hes run over 100 like 5 times.

my point is he was a working man,husband,great father his kids luv him and he quit pool and golf for like 25 years.

he plays golf very nicely and plays great pool for a guy who worked his whole life.

people have asked me many times could they have played propool and of course odds were slim.
if billy took pool seriously 30 years ago i would bet my life he would have been a pro caliber player.
thank god he didnt though cause he would be broke now and i couldnt drive his corvette,lol.

in closing billy not only am i proud to call u my best pal u r one of the smartest,nicest, most talented people ive ever met .

looking forward to our golfgame sunday champ.
p.s. nice 81

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
i know im biased bragging on billy because we r super good pals.
its been rare in my career but a few people who just played pool for fun made me think they could have been world class.bills at the top of my list.

ive said this before but after knowing bill for 8 years and finding out that he was a multi world champ drag racer,not because he told me but i googled him because hes to humble to brag.
then i play golf with him and he can on a good day break 80.by the way he plays golf about 4 times a year seriously.

most people never improve at pool or anything else after 50 .billys highrun when i met him was 97 which is awesome.now hes run over 100 like 5 times.

my point is he was a working man,husband,great father his kids luv him and he quit pool and golf for like 25 years.

he plays golf very nicely and plays great pool for a guy who worked his whole life.

people have asked me many times could they have played propool and of course odds were slim.
if billy took pool seriously 30 years ago i would bet my life he would have been a pro caliber player.
thank god he didnt though cause he would be broke now and i couldnt drive his corvette,lol.

in closing billy not only am i proud to call u my best pal u r one of the smartest,nicest, most talented people ive ever met .

looking forward to our golfgame sunday champ.
p.s. nice 81

Great posting John,

from what i saw, you re enjoying life a lot at the moment-congrats on that :) but i really hope to see you soon back in the pool-buisness. Miss you on the stage :-(

And about Bill i said this very often- he is so consistant-and play the game just right. So strong that guy...amazing.

lg from overseas,

Ingo