Chalkless Cue Tips - the Grip Tip.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
This just in - Kamui has just purchased Pro Tech Billiards LLC and the rights and patents to Get A Grip Tips outright in an all cash deal totalling $10,000,000. Kamui spokesperson says they plan to shelf the product for between 7-10 years. Stock holders approved the deal once they learned Kamui will recoup it's full 10 million dollar investment within the first 6 months thru chalk sales.

Update to Breaking News story:

Kamui has decided to release a new chalk (numbered 0.0) for the new ProTech/Kamui tips. While it is expensive ($100 USD per cube) it lasts forever.

Kamui released this photo of the new chalk:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Someone back in the 1940's (not sure of the year)invented a carb that would get 50 MPG. Oil company bought it and it's still on the shelve somewhere. Johnnyt

I dont believe this at all. A carb alone can not increase fuel mileage a great deal. Internal combustion engines (ICE) need a specific amount of fuel to make a specific amount of power, to get the claimed 50 MPG from just simply a carb the fuel would need higher BTU's. Electronic feedback fuel injection does a really good job of maintaining maximum economical air/fuel ratios and the only cars coming close to 50 MPG are very small, light, and under powered cars. If they cant get 50 MPG with EFI it certainly will not happen with a carburetor in which air/fuel ratio is controlled by venturis, orifices, needles, jets, and variable airflow.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is a fine idea and firmly believe it is only the lack of 'in$entive' that keep it from being created, given current technology.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I dont believe this at all. A carb alone can not increase fuel mileage a great deal. Internal combustion engines (ICE) need a specific amount of fuel to make a specific amount of power, to get the claimed 50 MPG from just simply a carb the fuel would need higher BTU's. Electronic feedback fuel injection does a really good job of maintaining maximum economical air/fuel ratios and the only cars coming close to 50 MPG are very small, light, and under powered cars. If they cant get 50 MPG with EFI it certainly will not happen with a carburetor in which air/fuel ratio is controlled by venturis, orifices, needles, jets, and variable airflow.

My late father-in-law used to fall for every one of these conspiracy theories. They always involve a BIG CORPORATION hiding the secret invention, and are followed by an exclusive offer to purchase a new version of the invention. The Magic Spark Plug, The Shaving Razor that never dulls, the 20-year lightbulb, ad nauseum. It was kind of sad; he was an otherwise-intelligent person.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are these "no chalk" tips available to see on a 2AM info-mercial? If so I might buy one. Probably only available for a big price but what'll make them a bargain is if they offer a second order free....just pay shipping and handling. If my wife sees it "as seen on TV" it'll be in my mailbox soon for sure. Mitch

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=986

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Am I in the minority for this idea appealing? The one thing that has prevented me from ordering this, is the fact that the tip is soft, way to soft for my liking.

I'm playing straight pool on tables that are being played, pretty much round the clock by bangers and 9 ballers and cleaned once, maybe twice a week, if we're lucky (I mean a half hearted vacuuming that gets maybe 10 percent of the chalk out). People are breaking over and over (leaving long, dirty chalk streaks and sometimes even "chunks") and using "gimmick" chalk that sticks to everything. Twice I've had potential high runs, just a few balls short stopped by skids, because the table is so damned dirty. The balls gets dirty so fast, it's a joke. I'm not a clean freak by any stretch of the imagination, but I've found it necessary to vacuum and brush the table before I start my straightpool "high run" attempts, which frankly I find embarrassing and should be unnecessary. I'm washing my hands like I'm some kind of OCD guy, and still they get completely black after a very short while...Skid frequencies get extremely important on high runs in straightpool, especially if you like to roll the ball a lot. Yes, I know it's bad, but I can't run as many without doing that. To get the cloth completely clean requires using a moist microfiber cloth, and that makes the cloth slower....It's a catch 22. If the tip didn't requre chalk, at least I wouldn't be dirtying up the cloth again after all that work.

Another thing that's good is that I like to think- and play fast. I never needed to stand back for a long time to think while chalking, and I walk into my shots from behind (as one should) without that extra step. Also I sometimes forget to chalk when I'm deep in the zone. Maybe I'll get into the rhytm quicker with a tip like this.

I watched the promo videos, and by the looks of it, the tips provided enough spin to get you through a straightpool rack. Ok, you might have some limits put on your stroke, but the near complete elimination of skids (provided the table was cleaned beforhand) is a very, very tempting prospect. Unless the tip itself leaves some kind of sticky residue (which may be a possibility).

I think I may order some, after all.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
My late father-in-law used to fall for every one of these conspiracy theories. They always involve a BIG CORPORATION hiding the secret invention, and are followed by an exclusive offer to purchase a new version of the invention. The Magic Spark Plug, The Shaving Razor that never dulls, the 20-year lightbulb, ad nauseum. It was kind of sad; he was an otherwise-intelligent person.

I think my father lived next door to your F-I-L ;)

Jsnstanley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

everyone I know lol

Sasquatch, Santa Clause, the Boogyman, God, Aliens and Ghost.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was he a flat-earther as well? It's a little harder so see how to make money off of the "special" people who believe in a flat earth. Maybe sell them hundred-dollar round-trip cab rides from Tijuana to London that get there by going the "other" way. Let them wake up in the cab in TJ after the bon-voyage tequila party with a bunch of Guinness bottles around them and creamed peas smeared down their shirt and tell them they had a great time and already came back. Total cost to the operator: $5 for two bottles of tequila per passenger.

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this has been my dream for years, more so than "low deflection" shafts,

chalk is the last dinosaur still in need of extinction

considering you can essentially play without chalk now by omitting spin, how far could we really be from a chalk less tip that holds shape and can spin the rock?

as mentioned though, we would lose the luxury of $30 crappy expensive magic kamuis and such that require contsant maintenence and replacement

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was he a flat-earther as well? It's a little harder so see how to make money off of the "special" people who believe in a flat earth. Maybe sell them hundred-dollar round-trip cab rides from Tijuana to London that get there by going the "other" way. Let them wake up in the cab in TJ after the bon-voyage tequila party with a bunch of Guinness bottles around them and creamed peas smeared down their shirt and tell them they had a great time and already came back. Total cost to the operator: $5 for two bottles of tequila per passenger.

I am a tad alarmed that you have thought this through as far as you have.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
this has been my dream for years, more so than "low deflection" shafts,

chalk is the last dinosaur still in need of extinction

considering you can essentially play without chalk now by omitting spin, how far could we really be from a chalk less tip that holds shape and can spin the rock?

as mentioned though, we would lose the luxury of $30 crappy expensive magic kamuis and such that require contsant maintenence and replacement

No matter what, if there is ever a "chalk less" tip invented, I'm pretty sure you'd have to maintain and shape that tip as well.

My best guess, is the chalk less tip comes out one year after the flying cars we've all been waiting for ;)

But just to be safe, I will check with a few folks at the Kremlin to see if any thing in the works right now ;)

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
This just in - Kamui has just purchased Pro Tech Billiards LLC and the rights and patents to Get A Grip Tips outright in an all cash deal totalling $10,000,000. Kamui spokesperson says they plan to shelf the product for between 7-10 years. Stock holders approved the deal once they learned Kamui will recoup it's full 10 million dollar investment within the first 6 months thru chalk sales.

Seems like that would be a v bad business decision. Since the product doesn't sound ready and someone else could do something similar.

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These seem like a very good idea, as I've always hated chalking after each shot...the chalk always makes a mess on the table and the cue stick, and other areas. However, I don't see these for sale any longer, and the reviews on Amazon certainly weren't very good, but I think these would be great for myself, my friends and other family members. Were these too soft, or too hard, or what was the problem compared to the standard leather tips?

Does anyone know where I can get a set of these? Or does anyone know if anyone else invented something similar to these that perhaps perform a bit better?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
These seem like a very good idea, as I've always hated chalking after each shot...the chalk always makes a mess on the table and the cue stick, and other areas. However, I don't see these for sale any longer, and the reviews on Amazon certainly weren't very good, but I think these would be great for myself, my friends and other family members. Were these too soft, or too hard, or what was the problem compared to the standard leather tips?

Does anyone know where I can get a set of these? Or does anyone know if anyone else invented something similar to these that perhaps perform a bit better?

Hmm. Google?

Sure enough....

https://spinsterbilliards.com.au/equipment/grip-tip/

:)