Numbers on Valley Supreme Cues? Not the weight

jh3rron

The Beard
Me and a buddy sometimes take one piece Valley Supremes into place to blend in on the pool table. I was wondering what the numbers marked on them mean. I have one that is G-12 and a L-14. Is there anyway to yell how old they are. I have one that I'm sure must be old because it has beautiful wood grain and a proper hard coat. the shafts is not coated on it and it has a rounded rubber bumper with a plug that pops out to reveal a screw to remove the rubber bottom. The rubber on this one does not bounce back if dropped

jh3rron

The Beard
Jealous of the beard I see, don't worry I get that a lot lol. Not to many folks shoot pool with a beard that touches the table and the cue splits through it lol

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It would be hard to date Valley supreme cues because no one really pays much attention to house cues. That's not to say that there are no great playing Valleys. I have a few dozen that I have picked up over the last 20 years and I am not sure what the letters with the numbers were. Some were made in Wisconsin and I like those the best. Then some were made down south and eventually out-sourced over seas.

You may find a few with tight maple and figured butts, if they are straight they will most likely play fine with a good tip providing the ferrule is secure.

I have converted a few into two piece cues for the convenience of packing them around.

The right cue maker may be able to re-taper one but it would need to be very straight.

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had same question, so I called Valley. The letter stands for a month, A January, B February, C March etc. and the number is production year. 14 is 2014 , 0 is 2010 etc.. Valley said prior to 2005 they made cues in house, after that they were outsourced. Hope this helps. Nice cues.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a couple of nice 58” Dufferin house cues from Seyberts for $35 each. They play good. I am going to upgrade the tips someday and they will be even better.

If your beard touches a ball is that a foul.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a couple of nice 58” Dufferin house cues from Seyberts for $35 each. They play good. I am going to upgrade the tips someday and they will be even better.

If your beard touches a ball is that a foul.
No foul in Birmingham unless something jumps out of it and crawls around on the table! lol

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
House Cues

Just a suggestion, when having the tip replaced have the ferrule replaced also. Slow motion video will show a lot of movement in that factory ferrule. It becomes a pump compressing a bit of air out and sucking in a bit of air with every hit of a cue ball. I removed the ferrules from close to a hundred house cues that needed tips. Every single one, no exceptions, had blue chalk under the ferrule between it and the tenon. A stiffer tenon will prevent this I believe and will make the cue hit a little stiffer.

Just some food for thought. The one piece cues do play great. When you get tired of trying to sneak them in just to transport them a little safer there are snake coffins to put one piece cues in starting around thirty-five dollars best I recall.

Hu

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Takes Valley in bar, so it blends in good, for the hustle.
Only man in the bar with a 2ft, red, zz top beard.
I would assume that's a 1 time gig :D:D:thumbup: