Texas and 8ft'rs...?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There must be more 8ft. pool tables in Tejas than anywhere else on Earth. How/why did this size get so popular down there? If you're gonna play in Texas you better have your 8foot game dialed-in.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There must be more 8ft. pool tables in Tejas than anywhere else on Earth. How/why did this size get so popular down there? If you're gonna play in Texas you better have your 8foot game dialed-in.
I am from Texas and i bet there was/is as many 8fts in Texas as the whole rest of the country combined.

Almost every room was full of them and would only have a couple of 9fts

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Danny Olson was headed to Rusty's in Arlington Texas to play qualifier , I warned him you will be on a 8ftr. His response "what no way".

I here Rusty's now have Diamond barboxes where those 8ftrs were.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

When I was a kid, the whole South was known for 8-footers.
The 5x10s in NYC were known as Rebel Traps...

The way I was told....Brunswick used to have side-mounted rails....when they switched to
the rail bolts going straight down through the slate, they had a bunch of slate that
was too small for 9-footers...so they flooded the market with over-size 8-footers.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Economics!

You can way more 8fts in a place then 9's and the only people who care about playing on 9's are the people that most Pool halls aren't crazy about, players.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can way more 8fts in a place then 9's and the only people who care about playing on 9's are the people that most Pool halls aren't crazy about, players.

This is well stated and the first thing I thought when I read the OP.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Danny Olson was headed to Rusty's in Arlington Texas to play qualifier , I warned him you will be on a 8ftr. His response "what no way".

I here Rusty's now have Diamond barboxes where those 8ftrs were.
They still have four 8fts and now twelve 7fts and six 9fts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Okla. and 8ft's have never been popular here. Either bar-boxes or 9fts. Every room in Texas used to be full of them. Not as much anymore.

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
There used to be a lot of oversize 8 foots in TN as well. I loved playing on them but they've pretty much disappeared.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That must be why every time I go to CK Billiards all the 9’ tables are taken and you can throw a hand grenade on the 8’ side and not hurt anyone.