Scoring tool: Sliding balls, NOT beads!

xproskier

Registered
Anyone out there seen a scoring tool that is basically a wire strung between the overhead table lamp suspension rods that has balls rather than beads? The balls are similar to ping-pong balls and are either painted to match the numerical rack or are just one simple color. When a game is won, you simply slide a ball over carefully with the cue shaft. Very easy. All I see are beads out there... Help please, anyone? Thanks.

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
I have seen whiffle balls used before. The ones that already have holes in them. They simply spray painted them, then slid them onto a solid rod that is hung between light chains.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member

Attachments

• MG_9595_-_2013-02-04_at_03-34-59__20172.1528513011.jpg
    MG_9595_-_2013-02-04_at_03-34-59__20172.1528513011.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 426

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf practice whiffle balls. Can string on wire or heavy test mono fishing line. Tie a center orange bead, then 4 white each side,two orange each end and 4 more white each side.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Anyone out there seen a scoring tool that is basically a wire strung between the overhead table lamp suspension rods that has balls rather than beads? The balls are similar to ping-pong balls and are either painted to match the numerical rack or are just one simple color. When a game is won, you simply slide a ball over carefully with the cue shaft. Very easy. All I see are beads out there... Help please, anyone? Thanks.

Try playing Straight Pool with YOUR BALLS!!! <<(Caps cuz OP seems to have it out for BEADS)!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just go to a craft/hobby store and use styro-foam balls. Get a wire coat hanger, grind one end sharp, heat it and poke hole thru ball. String them up on thin wire or cable.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Expanded foam balls. Micheal's most likely has them.

Attachments

• DSC_0022-1.jpg
    DSC_0022-1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 250

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't remember exactly where or why I got these, but I have a bunch of sets. They are a little smaller than a quarter, as you can see. They are made of super ball material but some of them have lost their bounce. You would want to drill and put a small tube through them before stringing them. If anyone wants a set, $8 includes shipping.

But you can get real phenolic pool balls on Amazon for $10 to $15 per set in 1.0 or 1.5 inch size. They would be a lot more durable and not much harder to drill.

Scan20191011.jpg

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I don't remember exactly where or why I got these, but I have a bunch of sets. They are a little smaller than a quarter, as you can see. They are made of super ball material but some of them have lost their bounce. You would want to drill and put a small tube through them before stringing them. If anyone wants a set, $8 includes shipping.

But you can get real phenolic pool balls on Amazon for $10 to $15 per set in 1.0 or 1.5 inch size. They would be a lot more durable and not much harder to drill.

View attachment 531858

“Super Bounce” balls can not be drilled or cut.
They will just unravel.
Unless they are just rubber balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
“Super Bounce” balls can not be drilled or cut.
They will just unravel.
Unless they are just rubber balls.
They are pretty bouncy and show the reversal of spin of super balls, but the bounce height is only about 66% (some less).

A Dremel ceramic tile cutting bit (the first that came to hand) at 20,000 RPM cut a hole easily.

I have managed to make tips from real super balls (clear) and I agree that they fracture and tear very easily.