Any BOWLLIARDS / BOWLING game fans out there?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game of BOWLLIARDS first appears in the BCA Official Rules and Record Book in 1980 and has remained in the "Official Rules" books relatively unchanged for the past 36 years. Yes, it is still in the latest 2014 Edition and can be expected to remain with the new version out later this year I presume.

This game is definitively in my TOP 10 "practice play" games because it has allowed me to document and see my progressive skill level increase over the years.

It has also been a fun change for MATCH PLAY with a few friends on "bowling night".

I keep a "current, running AVERAGE" that takes the last 15 game scores to give me the best snapshot of my play ability for this game.

One of the other things that makes this game so enjoyable is that any combination of 10 balls can be used to keep your interest and vary the challenge perhaps.

Here are a few of my favorite "racks" when playing BOWLLIARDS:

Memorial Day frames:
39c500a9450f2c400e54f37695651eb4.jpg

For the Traditionalist "bowler":
a6b9d649b951777959ed58548093dace.jpg

My go-to bowling set:
573790bbeb2eee3653d2a83fb040a326.jpg

Have to bowl with the ever favorites:
82880b0696480999cc33db4ec1e98409.jpg

And for a change and challenge - perhaps try these IN ROTATION if this game gets too easy for you:
ea38004377f1d826cccc9b0abea36235.jpg

Any other BOWLLIARDS game fans or players out there?

Questions or comments?

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the KEY POINTS I will summarize that make up the current "Official" rule set for Bowlliards:

1) Opening break shot is without requirements or penalties - even a scratch or jumped ball. The FOUL PENALTY only begins after the break shot. Discussed in #5 below.

2) All balls pocketed on the opening break shot are spotted. Basically all you want to do is scatter the 10 object balls with minimal clusters to ensure the easiest run-out possibility.

3) after the break shot, the player MUST take the cue ball in hand anywhere behind the head string to begin the first "inning" of the current FRAME. And all legal object balls must of course lie outside the kitchen to be considered a legal ball for this first shot. ALL SHOTS are called. No sloppy play. Any subsequent balls other than the called ball are spotted. Basically, you must earn each shot.

4) after any MISSED shot, the cue ball plays from where it lies on the table. And only IF a cue ball scratch occurs while shooting, the cue ball must once again be taken in hand from behind the head string.

5) ANY FOUL after the opening break shot is a ONE POINT PENALTY that can simply be kept track of for totaling the game score at the very end. It does not stipulate that the FRAME SCORE must be adjusted - which would radically alter the scoring concepts anyway for this game.

6) the only way you can EARN a "STRIKE" and score it as such, is that after the opening break shot to begin each me FRAME, you must run all 10 balls without a miss (remember, CALL SHOT) and commit no fouls.

7) you get two tries each FRAME to pocket all 10 balls. Miss once (or foul) you begin try number 2 of that FRAME - and if you can clear the remaining balls, you earn a SPARE. The penalties for missing a strike or spare opportunity are significant, so give that serious concentration and never take any shot for granted. Open frames (where neither a strike or a spare can be counted) are bad news. Very bad.

8) a player NEVER gets cue ball in hand anywhere on the table. Ever. Whenever the BIH rules require such a play, it is always from behind the head string - and a legal ball must lie outside the "kitchen".

9) any ball pocketed on a FOUL are of course spotted - remember, every ball must be EARNED. Also, any FOUL requires a one point penalty to be deducted from the final bowling game score after all 10 FRAMES.

10) lastly - this blurb precedes the rule set in the "Official" book: Except when clearly contradicted by these additional rules, the General Rules of Pocket Billiards apply.

Did I cover all the possible questions?

Let's bowl!

K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game of BOWLLIARDS first appears in the BCA Official Rules and Record Book in 1980 and has remained in the "Official Rules" books relatively unchanged for the past 36 years. Yes, it is still in the latest 2014 Edition and can be expected to remain with the new version out later this year I presume.

This game is definitively in my TOP 10 "practice play" games because it has allowed me to document and see my progressive skill level increase over the years.

It has also been a fun change for MATCH PLAY with a few friends on "bowling night".

I keep a "current, running AVERAGE" that takes the last 15 game scores to give me the best snapshot of my play ability for this game.

One of the other things that makes this game so enjoyable is that any combination of 10 balls can be used to keep your interest and vary the challenge perhaps.

Here are a few of my favorite "racks" when playing BOWLLIARDS:

Memorial Day frames:
39c500a9450f2c400e54f37695651eb4.jpg

For the Traditionalist "bowler":
a6b9d649b951777959ed58548093dace.jpg

My go-to bowling set:
573790bbeb2eee3653d2a83fb040a326.jpg

Have to bowl with the ever favorites:
82880b0696480999cc33db4ec1e98409.jpg

And for a change and challenge - perhaps try these IN ROTATION if this game gets too easy for you:
ea38004377f1d826cccc9b0abea36235.jpg

Any other BOWLLIARDS game fans or players out there?

Questions or comments?

K.

Very cool sets Kraze! I think your " striped solids " are way cool! Do you know where a set of these can be purchased? More specifically I'd like to purchase the " striped 8 ball ". This will make an awesome shift knob. Thanks!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool sets Kraze! I think your " striped solids " are way cool! Do you know where a set of these can be purchased? More specifically I'd like to purchase the " striped 8 ball ". This will make an awesome shift knob. Thanks!

Hello, sir!

The "all stripes" nine ball set is marketed by Eagle I believe and come up for sale every so often on eBay. The 10 ball for bowlliards I added from my ARAMITH Super Pros since the Eagles only come with balls 1-9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play it frequently. Bowlliards is a fun but long game when you have more than a few people. Lots and lots of racking.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like great fun! How do you spot the balls on the break? If they get spotted in a bunch it would penalize the player. I've never played but am looking forward to trying it out

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like great fun! How do you spot the balls on the break? If they get spotted in a bunch it would penalize the player. I've never played but am looking forward to trying it out

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Any balls pocketed on the opening break shot get spotted as they do in most other games - starting on the foot spot down towards the foot rail in a straight line. And yes, it would be disadvantageous to pocket any balls on the break - but with so many "how to" break videos out there, just avoid those techniques :)

And just like every other game, you'll want to figure out the best break strategies for you and your game. A soft-to-medium speed break head-on to the apex ball works best for good scattering of the 10 balls without making any. Remember - ball in hand behind the head string AFTER the break.

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played Bowlliards for years. Usually I play it in rotation to increase the challenge.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
If you can score 630 or over total in 3 games (450 for ladies), that's enough to pass the "Pro Test" to become a recognized professional in Japan.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played Bowlliards for years. Usually I play it in rotation to increase the challenge.

That's what I do as well when I falsely think this game is a tad easy - brings me back to the real world

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can score 630 or over total in 3 games (450 for ladies), that's enough to pass the "Pro Test" to become a recognized professional in Japan.

No kidding.

Average 210 over 3 straight games, huh?

Where in Japan do the "pros" play

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I've been playing and keeping stats for years. It's a great practice game and I sometimes play it at the pool hall when no one is around to match up with.

I get the scoresheets online and print out multiple copies.

TommyT :thumbup:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing and keeping stats for years. It's a great practice game and I sometimes play it at the pool hall when no one is around to match up with.

I get the scoresheets online and print out multiple copies.

TommyT :thumbup:

I used to use the nice scoresheets avail in download form (to iBooks) from the dedicated site www.Bowlliards.com and added a small FOULS section at the top of the TOTAL box until I created my own.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This az member created an app for keeping score against the ghost.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394118

But it could also be used to log your scores for each rack of bowlliards. So you'll have a running history at your fingertips.

Pretty cool.

I was hoping he would come back with a bowlliards scoring feature for the app.

Nevertheless, it's pretty cool that he created this.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are quite a few "scoring apps" for us Apple users, but none dedicated to the myriad of billiard games we play.

Using any bowling or BILLIARDS app still requires a player to adjust the final score for any FOULS however.

Did anyone create a GHOST scoring app for iPhones that you know of?

Time for a dedicated pocket billiards scoring app that can have 50+ games on it I believe with the ability to print scoresheets.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A handy SCORING app that I use for various games that is highly customizable yet very simple is Count & Score

f4f810324a1357c7266b418dfb7e84b1.jpg

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What does that mean in Japan?
Here in America being pro means you need to find a job

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hello, LowRight -

When you play the ROTATION version of Bowlliards, am I correct in assuming that after the opening break shot and spotting any balls pocketed, that you begin with the cue ball in hand anywhere on the table to start each frame?

That's what I do - and is the only rule deviation I use from playing BIH behind the head string for the "normal" version. Otherwise the odds of either a blocked shot (and thus a one point foul penalty) or a guaranteed miss putting you into "spare" status from the get go.

Any other changes you make when you play the Rotation version?

K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This evenings lane choice for a few frames to warm up...

6c1e0d4ac8e7b02987df5abf5b6e65ce.jpg

K.