Empty Seats

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the matches yesterday and saw some great pool. But, I just don’t get how there can be so many empty seats yesterday at the event. For USA’s top pool event in its final days you’d think it would be packed. I think we have a fan problem.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
You see the same older people at every major U.S tournaments...year after year, after year. As the die off or get major health problems...there is no one to replace them.

Also, who the hell can get the time off or afford a frigging week to travel, stay in a hotel for 7 days, eat more than 20 meals dinning out misc? Seven (7) days and nights for a 150 player tournament is waaaay to long. Johnnyt

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You see the same older people at every major U.S tournaments...year after year, after year. As the die off or get major health problems...there is no one to replace them.

Also, who the hell can get the time off or afford a frigging week to travel, stay in a hotel for 7 days, eat more than 20 meals dinning out misc? Seven (7) days and nights for a 150 player tournament is waaaay to long. Johnnyt

While I agree seven days may be too long and if anything it's not practical for fans to like you said take off work spend the money for hotels and eating out and watch the event. However I will say that I believe in this day and age the people who put the tournament on(accustats Pat Flemming) probably care more about the live stream numbers and producing as many matches as possible so he can sell the matches at a later date. There's nothing wrong with this I hope it doesn't sound like I'm ripping him because I'm not and I typically buy as many sessions as possible and enjoy the every minute of it.

So just to recap, personally I love the current format as it allows me to view most night sessions and I'll def be watching all of today's matches and I can only assume there's many more in the same boat as me. So even tho the live event numbers may dwindle down I don't believe there actually is a lack of fans.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I watched the matches yesterday and saw some great pool. But, I just don’t get how there can be so many empty seats yesterday at the event. For USA’s top pool event in its final days you’d think it would be packed. I think we have a fan problem.

I wonder how many organized Pool Leagues even tell their players about events like the US Open? Ask one and see. It's not in their best interest. They want them involved in stuff they do not what other people do. There are plenty of players,
they just aren't in the same grouping with people that support such events.

Any attempt to organize an event unless its in a really good area for Pool is going to have a real tough time.The general public doesn't even know Pool is there or views it as an option for something to do because it can't support itself in upscale venues at least in my area you have to have a bar, food and entertainment/bands and such to get people in a place to support it. Pool is like a small piece of the advertising for the other things.

We have no membership association, no collective funds, grass roots support and that's what it would take to move the world of pool.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking as someone who's attended the Open, albeit many moons ago, I love the fact that they end it on Saturday now, allowing folks to have a day to recuperate and return home on Sunday. For the working stiffs, I do like that format much better.

I don't know if they could shorten the week to make it happen in 4 days, like Mike Zuglan's $25,000-added Joss Tour Turning Stone events. I do like the fact that there are only two business days missed if you attend that tournament.

Keith said this is the toughest field at the Open he's ever seen. I'm thinking they should raise the entry fee to $1,000 a man and shorten the player field. I'll bet it fills up way ahead of time, like Zuglan's Turning Stone events do, if they did that. Just a thought.

As far a fans and spectators, pool has never attracetd the masses. We're a small sub-culture in society. Though we are very passionate about pool, 99 percnet of the world has no idea who Efren Reyes or Earl Strickland or Ronnie O'Sullivan or Ralf Souquet is.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it has more to do with who is on the TV table. It was standing room only when Earl was on it. And when Corey would win on the outer tables Thursday night you could hear the crown roar... people just are not there to watch the players they don't know.
I love pool, but I find it hard to watch pool when I don't know the players. I think had they put the US players on the TV tables all the time the seats would have been filled. I'm not saying that's what they should do, but your not going to get the locals to watch Ko and Chang if Archer and Bergman are playing somewhere else.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it has more to do with who is on the TV table. It was standing room only when Earl was on it. And when Corey would win on the outer tables Thursday night you could hear the crown roar... people just are not there to watch the players they don't know.
I love pool, but I find it hard to watch pool when I don't know the players. I think had they put the US players on the TV tables all the time the seats would have been filled. I'm not saying that's what they should do, but your not going to get the locals to watch Ko and Chang if Archer and Bergman are playing somewhere else.

This is exactly what i did, on Sunday i paid for VIP seats didn't even watch the Warren K. match,i think he won 11-0, but i did sit and watch Earl and Ralf's match, but took off to other tables a few racks in to Tony Chohan's match.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people do not care..you're right

Speaking as someone who's attended the Open, albeit many moons ago, I love the fact that they end it on Saturday now, allowing folks to have a day to recuperate and return home on Sunday. For the working stiffs, I do like that format much better.
I don't know if they could shorten the week to make it happen in 4 days, like Mike Zuglan's $25,000-added Joss Tour Turning Stone events. I do like the fact that there are only two business days missed if you attend that tournament.
Keith said this is the toughest field at the Open he's ever seen. I'm thinking they should raise the entry fee to $1,000 a man and shorten the player field. I'll bet it fills up way ahead of time, like Zuglan's Turning Stone events do, if they did that. Just a thought.
As far as fans and spectators, pool has never attracetd the masses. We're a small sub-culture in society. Though we are very passionate about pool, 99 percent of the world has no idea who Efren Reyes or Earl Strickland or Ronnie O'Sullivan or Ralf Souquet is.
Just to bear out what you're saying about the game we love..........I happened to mention to some people at a social event that I was planning on going to the Super Billiards Expo in 2018.
3 or 4 of them said...."Will Minnesota Fats be there?"
That about says it all....:shrug:
:thumbup:

Last edited:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It will be packed for the finals, it always is all those VIP seat have bee sold out before the event started but they never show up until the final day.

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crowd, wish list

german-masters-2015-tempodrom.jpg

proper promotion maybe some organized gambling

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Welcome to every pool tournament in America. Even when it’s “packed,” there isn’t really that many people watching it. Commentators get excited when they hit 1000 viewing a stream. The everage viewers for the women’s tennis US Open was a bit over 950k. So that gives you an idea how far pool is behind one of the least popular sports(tennis is very popular, but it’s not the NFL, NBA, or MLB).

Pool isn’t a spectacular sport for the average person. It’s been attempted with 8, 9, 10, and bonus ball. Thus far nothing has attracted a major fan base outside of the hardcore pool community.

That either means billiards in general just isn’t compelling to the American public, or someone hasn’t figured out the magic combination.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to every pool tournament in America. Even when it’s “packed,” there isn’t really that many people watching it. Commentators get excited when they hit 1000 viewing a stream. The everage viewers for the women’s tennis US Open was a bit over 950k. So that gives you an idea how far pool is behind one of the least popular sports(tennis is very popular, but it’s not the NFL, NBA, or MLB).

Pool isn’t a spectacular sport for the average person. It’s been attempted with 8, 9, 10, and bonus ball. Thus far nothing has attracted a major fan base outside of the hardcore pool community.

That either means billiards in general just isn’t compelling to the American public, or someone hasn’t figured out the magic combination.

Hi, vapoolplayer! How are you doing? Long time no read! Hope all is well.

I guess you heard Jimmy Reid passed. :(

Good to see you posting. :)

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, vapoolplayer! How are you doing? Long time no read! Hope all is well.

I guess you heard Jimmy Reid passed. :(

Good to see you posting. :)

I heard, be it much too late. I wish I could have seen him again when he was in better health. I believe the last time I saw him was at the 2004 US Open. He was doing pretty well then.....albeit stuck about $1200 (a 3 cushion game I believe). Though I spoke with him pretty regularly up until 2008 or so.

I’m attempting to resurrect pool as a hobby, though I live in an area with limited options on good equipment.

How are you and Keith holding up?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard, be it much too late. I wish I could have seen him again when he was in better health. I believe the last time I saw him was at the 2004 US Open. He was doing pretty well then.....albeit stuck about $1200 (a 3 cushion game I believe). Though I spoke with him pretty regularly up until 2008 or so.

I’m attempting to resurrect pool as a hobby, though I live in an area with limited options on good equipment.

How are you and Keith holding up?

Getting old, paying taxes, and trying to make ends meet. We're in the autumn of our lives, and the leaves are starting to fall off. ;)

We're actually doing well. Life is good. Keith says we never get past Whole Foods, but I remind him that at least we have a roof over our heads and are eating well. We are both working on health. In fact, we're getting ready to take a walk right now with our dog. Trying to stay fit and healthy. That's the name of the game after you reach 60. :)

Keith's hit a few local tourneys. He misses pool. There's a few cool events in our neck of the woods. He likes one-hole mostly.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_2704.JPG
    IMG_2704.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 789

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting old, paying taxes, and trying to make ends meet. We're in the autumn of our lives, and the leaves are starting to fall off. ;)

We're actually doing well. Life is good. Keith says we never get past Whole Foods, but I remind him that at least we have a roof over our heads and are eating well. We are both working on health. In fact, we're getting ready to take a walk right now with our dog. Trying to stay fit and healthy. That's the name of the game after you reach 60. :)

Keith's hit a few local tourneys. He misses pool. There's a few cool events in our neck of the woods. He likes one-hole mostly.

Keith looks good! I’m nearing 40 believe it or not :eek: . Still healthy, but definitely noticing a difference.

I’ll stay in touch here and I’ll be in that part of the world in August 2018. We should catch up.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As far a fans and spectators, pool has never attracetd the masses. We're a small sub-culture in society. Though we are very passionate about pool, 99 percnet of the world has no idea who Efren Reyes or Earl Strickland or Ronnie O'Sullivan or Ralf Souquet is.

Never is a long time. There was a time, long long ago, when the results of both pool AND carom matches were reported prominently in the sports pages on a par with major sports.

And the average Joe in the street knew who Schaefer, Cochrane, Hoppe, Greenleaf, and Mosconi were.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Put a Ping-Pong surface on that Pool Table.

Attachments

• 7760264B-2EF8-465B-AB7E-5450A4D9D3CC.jpeg
    7760264B-2EF8-465B-AB7E-5450A4D9D3CC.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 349
  • D8807B7B-1C8D-4075-BCF1-427DBED6A704.jpeg
    D8807B7B-1C8D-4075-BCF1-427DBED6A704.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 341

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't be buying the pay per view today because I have no vested interest in any of the players remaining. I have been following pool for 4 decades and I don't know who two of the players are, one player I barely know, Chang, and then there is Shaw.

I do believe that if we could legally bet on players there would be a lot more interest.

One other thing. These guys never miss (hardly anyways) and they play so slow and methodical. It's a great cure for insomnia. I can barely stay awake watching these guys and I enjoy watching pool.