Looking for a formula for 1st round matches (Winners & Loser) when there are byes

calcuttaman

Pool Player
Silver Member
I'm just not good at writing formulas. Here's an easy situation. If there are 9 players, I know there is going to be one 1st round winners side match and in the losers side 1st round of play (Vying for 9/12th place) there will be one match.

How can I write that in a formula?

Of course we're always assuming the byes are spread equally.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the number of players is not a multiple of 2 (i.e., not 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc.), then go up to the next higher multiple of 2. The number of byes is that next higher multiple of 2 minus the actual number of players.

Examples:

• 9 players. Next-higher multiple of 2 is 16. Number of first-round byes is 16 - 9 = 7. So the number of first-round players is 9 - 7 = 2, and the number of first-round matches is 2 ÷ 2 = 1. The winner of that match will join the 7 byes to create a full winners'-side next round of 8 players.

• 19 players. Next-higher multiple of 2 is 32. Number of first-round byes is 32 - 19 = 13. So the number of first-round players is 19 - 13 = 6, and the number of first-round matches is 6 ÷ 2 = 3. The winners from those 3 matches will join the 13 byes to create a full winners'-side next round of 16 players.

• 87 players. Next-higher multiple of 2 is 128. Number of first-round byes is 128 - 87 = 41. So the number of first-round players is 87 - 41 = 46, and the number of first-round matches is 46 ÷ 2 = 23. The winners from those 23 matches will join the 41 byes to create a full winners'-side next round of 64 players.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't need 9 person brackets. Just want the formula. Something like...

9 players - 8 = 1 (number of 1st rnd matches)

That's a very simplified version and of course doesn't work for all scenarios.

Let's see if this attachment works. If it doesn't, I'll send it to you.

And if you want a formula, the first number should always be the next base-2 number above the number of players.

E.g.

For 9 players, the next base-2 number is 16 (2^4).

16 - 9 = 7 byes. There is a logical method on how to put the byes in the chart. NEVER draw in the byes.

Freddie <~~~ can beat the bye... sometimes

Attachments

• Bye Chart - Freddie Agnir 29OCT2001.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 103

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
For a second here I was hoping this was created my my local LO!

But that would have been too forward thinking. The ol' pull names from a baseball hat and write them in on crate paper will work forever, just like Social Security.

calcuttaman

Pool Player
Silver Member
• 87 players. Next-higher multiple of 2 is 128. Number of first-round byes is 128 - 87 = 41. So the number of first-round players is 87 - 41 = 46, and the number of first-round matches is 46 ÷ 2 = 23. The winners from those 23 matches will join the 41 byes to create a full winners'-side next round of 64 players.

I'll give this a shot....

(Total players - (Next highest chart size - Total Players)) / 2

(87 - (128-87)) / 2 = 23

Edit - I'm incorrect on losers formula
And there should always be the same amount of matches (23) in the first round of the losers side.

Apparently its pretty easy to figure out the winners side matches. But, how do you figure out the 1st side of the losers bracket?

Check this example out http://ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=710ecc1a-53c0-4de1-8f1a-d309efd31f64

64 person bracket, 9 byes with 7 matches in the 1st round of the losers side. How do you formula that?

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll give this a shot....

(Total players - (Next highest chart size - Total Players)) / 2

(87 - (128-87)) / 2 = 23

Formulae

For 9-16 players:

P= Number of Players

[(16/2 -(16-P)] = N (Number of 1st round Matches)

Edit - I'm incorrect on losers formula
And there should always be the same amount of matches (23) in the first round of the losers side.

Apparently its pretty easy to figure out the winners side matches. But, how do you figure out the 1st side of the losers bracket?

Check this example out http://ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=710ecc1a-53c0-4de1-8f1a-d309efd31f64

64 person bracket, 9 byes with 7 matches in the 1st round of the losers side. How do you formula that?

1st round loser's side? You can only have 1st round loser-side matches if you have two adjacent filled (no byes) 1st round brackets (we can call them couplets or whatever) that the losers play each other in the 1st round of the loser side.

In the original case:

B = # of byes

(16/4 - B) = LSFR (loser round first round), Minimum=0

and in your recent example

(64/4 - B) = 16 - 9 = 7 matches in the first round of loser's side

Last edited:

calcuttaman

Pool Player
Silver Member
1st round loser's side? You can only have 1st round loser-side matches if you have two adjacent filled (no byes) 1st round brackets (we can call them couplets or whatever) that the losers play each other in the 1st round of the loser side.

In the example in my post from Ctsondemand there is a 64 person bracket, 55 teams. Using yours and At Large's formula its easy to come up with 23 winners side matches.

But what I really want is how to determine those 7 matches in the first round of the losers side.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the example in my post from Ctsondemand there is a 64 person bracket, 55 teams. Using yours and At Large's formula its easy to come up with 23 winners side matches.

But what I really want is how to determine those 7 matches in the first round of the losers side.

Check my edit with formula

64 bracket
9 byes

Bracket size/4 - Byes

or

64/4 - 9

= 7

Once a 1/4 of the field are byes, there will be no 1st round loser's matches.